Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    If and “if “ i didnt care about out the law and out to de stabilize the country , i would be printing off single shot throw aways and selling them at cost , not to mention polymer ar lowers etc

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinilin View Post
    We should expect that high quality 3D printers will be altered to only print approved items.
    The technology to implement the restriction is already in use for other things and there are only a few high quality 3D printer manufactures.

Changes were mandated and implemented decades ago to prevent very high quality colour printers and copiers from faithfully reproducing currency.
    Technology ? What technology ? You can re-implement the software stack (including stepper control) from a whatever pi using open-source software, good luck restricting *that*. Even gaming console manufacturer (Nintendo, Sony, Sega, etc.) have been in a constant race in the past 30 years against the homebrew / pirate community and have always failed.
    Last edited by x0ra; 01-09-2020 at 06:30 PM.

3. The Following User Liked This Post By x0ra

Stew (01-09-2020)

Banned
    there are only a few high quality 3D printer manufactures.
    Firearms are pretty trivial technology, any entry level printer can print one.

Heck, you can build a gun with a file, scrap metal, and time...
    Last edited by x0ra; 01-09-2020 at 06:28 PM.

5. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By x0ra

joe6167 (01-10-2020), Scoutertracker (01-09-2020)

Banned
    Changes were mandated and implemented decades ago to prevent very high quality colour printers and copiers from faithfully reproducing currency.
    Using currency from that era, I'm pretty sure any of these would be *easily* defeated by today's entry level scanner / software / printer, or smartphone camera / image processing software.

Quote Originally Posted by x0ra View Post
    Using currency from that era, I'm pretty sure any of these would be *easily* defeated by today's entry level scanner / software / printer, or smartphone camera / image processing software.
    it's not the image reproduction quality; the software that runs quality devices recognizes items coded into the currency.

We have used it in Canada:
    Banknotes in the Canadian Journey (2001–2006) and Frontier Series (2011–2015), "Canada 150" $10 (2017) $10 ("2018 series")
    See Also:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EURion_constellation

Banned
    it's not the image reproduction quality; the software that runs quality devices recognizes items coded into the currency.
    you're faith is technology is overrated, do you really think a chinese-made sub-$100 scanner will recognize features used by currencies available worldwide ? No need for "quality" devices either, that sub-$100 scanner has a 4800dpi resolution, more you'll ever need...

There is no brain whatsoever in these scanners, they're pretty much sending the raw sensor bitstream to the client stack running on the PC, add some open-source software on the PC end, and there is no proprietary algorithm in the whole pipeline. Even if there was proprietary software running, one could pretty easily (with determination) find a hackable device to run custom code on. Hacking groups were reprogramming their DVD reader's firmware to access XBox disc on PC and the same was done to defeat the XBox own DVD protection.

At a first glance, the only reason cash is not attacked as much as it used to be is because credit card informations are a much better (and easier) target, especially when you can steal a few millions at a time.
    Last edited by x0ra; 01-09-2020 at 06:49 PM.

Banned
    ahem, I quote: "According to research from 2004, the EURion constellation is used for colour photocopiers but probably not used in computer software". Your own argument has been defeated 16 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by x0ra View Post
    ahem, I quote: "According to research from 2004, the EURion constellation is used for colour photocopiers but probably not used in computer software". Your own argument has been defeated 16 years ago.
    1. I am not making an argument.
    2. The technology has existed for decades, as you found out.
    3. A scanner is not a printer.
    4. Everything that runs software, runs software.
    5. Image engines run their manufactures software.
    6. The term 'High Quality' when referring to 3D printers means High Quality 3D printers (think thousandths and metal, not millimeters and plastic)
    7. It is quite possible that I know more about technology then you or anyone you know.

Considering this guys criminal history its fairly absurd to describe him as a passionate 3D printing afficianado who got carried away.

12. The Following User Liked This Post By ilikemoose

shootemup604 (01-10-2020)

currency solutions are in the currency, printers have a long way to go before equaling an engraving

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast