Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

10/22 take down worth it when I have a similar option available.

I working on getting my PAL (booked for March). Been researching what I will want once all the paper works done.

I will have two older guns that are family heirlooms. A Browning SA22 and a Berretta A301. Iím new to guns and donít want to mess with these as they belonged to my grandfather who passed a few years ago.

Researching for a good all round training rifle with cheap ammo led me to the Ruger 10/22. And with more research I liking the idea of the 10/22 take down with stainless barrel (looks very sharp).

The question I have is am I crazy in wanting to opt for a gun that for all purposes is similar to the browning I all ready have.

The reason I looking at the take down specifically is the hopes that I can put it in the back pack and go to the range via motorcycle (any excuse to ride Thought I not 100% of the legality of this yet. If not then I have not need for the take down version and can save $100. I would also likely then look more at the Ruger American bolt action as it has the better trigger.

Over on CGN there's a fella who used to hunt with WWI surplus rifles when he was a child, then decided those were priceless and
    so he hunted with WWII surplus rifles for a couple decades, then decided those were priceless and
    now he's hunting with black rifles. If it breaks, there are lots of spare parts.

Another fella crushed a relatively new rifle with his huge ATV. A gun is usually a straight line from muzzle to butt stock, but his ended up kind of L shaped (barrel and action ok, butt stock totaled). Replacement stock on order.

No, you're not crazy. On the other hand, don't be afraid to shoot your grandfather's guns either. I have my grandfather's gun that was manufactured in 1909 and I shoot it every year. It's also a .22 and is my most accurate one and fun to shoot.
    Pew pew pew

The question I have is am I crazy in wanting to opt for a gun that for all purposes is similar to the browning I all ready have.
    I see that you are new to gun ownership.....the answer to ‘should I buy a new gun?’ is always yes, provided the bank account can handle it.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

5. The Following 4 Users Like This Post By kennymo

elliott264 (02-03-2020), ESnel (02-04-2020), Gunexpert007 (02-04-2020), Swingerguy (02-03-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by kennymo View Post
    I see that you are new to gun ownership.....the answer to ‘should I buy a new gun?’ is always yes, provided the bank account can handle it.
    These are wise words!
    What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms."
    - Thomas Jefferson, letter to James Madison, December 20, 1787

Quote Originally Posted by kennymo View Post
    Lol fair enuff. Similar rules to my motorcycles. And seemingly potentially just as expensive.

And it’s not so much as I afraid to shoot my grandfathers guns it’s more that I don’t want to learn on them specifically cleaning and maintaining them. I’d rather learn on something I can replace etc.

I also inherited a big game recurve Bow that’s very rare apparently, made in Toronto in the 50s or 60s with a 60lbs pull. I have fired off one arrow from it and decided I need a lot more experience behind a much easier bow before I can use that. I’m thinking to treat guns the same way.

cleaning and maintenance are very similar on most rifles, don't be concerned. you'll have half a dozen before you know

again, shoot that Browning, it's a better gun and they are superb

9. The Following User Liked This Post By Stew

GTW (02-03-2020)

Shoot the Browning. Virtually indestructible. I'm also sure your grandfather will look down and smile when he hears you make it go "pop"!
    "Mr. Speaker, we really could replace Justin Trudeau with a cardboard cutout, and his peanut gallery wouldn't know the difference"

11. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By GTW

Stew (02-03-2020), Swingerguy (02-03-2020)

I still shoot my Lee Enfield once in a while, I also got it from my grandfather, it was made in 1900.
    What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms."
    - Thomas Jefferson, letter to James Madison, December 20, 1787

I will most definitely shoot the browning. Just maybe not every time I go out. It was purchased new back in the 50’s for my mother as her first gun. When she was still a baby lol.

The hope is also to get mum out to the range with me sometimes. And being as she rides a motorcycle too it be kinda of neat if I can find a protective enuff back pack to both ride over to the range for shooting with two take down rifles.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast