Sight for beginners

I just got myself a Marlin 795, which was shipped to me with the entire Rear Sight missing !!!

In any case, as I intend to use the rifle to teach my son to shoot, would a Red Dot sight or Aperture sight be better for beginner.

Red Dot - easy to point and shoot, but may not survive rough handling
    Aperture Sight like the "Tech Sight" - more robust, not much to go wrong, may be harder for beginner to figure out how to aim
    Or pay the $30~40 to ship the rifle back to Gravel Agency to have them put in the rear sight

As far as cost goes, the Red Dot would be more costly if I get a name brand scope, but even the "no name" stuff on amazon is not much cheaper than the Tech Sight.

Any suggestion / comment ?

It's hard to beat the fundamentals of open sights for learning on.

3. The Following User Liked This Post By JustBen

blacksmithden (01-10-2020)

For dead simple use, a red dot is as easy as it gets. The trs25 will likely hold up for a long time without breaking the bank.
    A scope is easier, but you must know how to correctly set it up for use. Scope to far back/forward/too high, will all make it difficult to get a good sight picture. Get it right for you, and it might not be right for the kid.
    That is exaggerated on cheaper scopes as well, they're less forgiving.

I'd go with tech sights just because I like iron sights.
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

Aptet aut mori

Where you are sort of matters. If you bought the thing as a BNIB rifle, you should send it back. It'll be under warrantee. You'll have to talk to 'em before sending anything back anyway.
    https://gravelagency.com/en/support/contact-us
    No Red Dot sights for new shooters(especially young shooters). The dots are far too big for accurate shooting. The dots are usually 2 or 3 MOA in diameter. That's 2 or 3 inches at 100. They can cover the entire black of a standard sight-in target at 100. Worse at 20. And they do not let you teach proper sight picture.
    A peep sight will likely require a new front sight as well. Has to do with the height of the rear sight. William's rear sights start at $45 USD. No fuss at the border with 'em though. Epp's is a William's dealer. They might have a factory sight for it too. Worth an e-mail.
    https://ellwoodepps.com/
    Any Stateside supplier requires their Commerce Dept's exporter's licence. Different thing from the export permit from their Dept of State. Very expensive so a lot of U.S. shops don't export. Tech-Sight(Hartsville, SC), for example, sells a slick adjustable peep much like an M1 Carbine rear sight that slides on the scope base grooves, for $69USD, but they do not export.

Quote Originally Posted by Justice View Post
    Where you are sort of matters. If you bought the thing as a BNIB rifle, you should send it back. It'll be under warrantee. You'll have to talk to 'em before sending anything back anyway.
    https://gravelagency.com/en/support/contact-us
    No Red Dot sights for new shooters(especially young shooters). The dots are far too big for accurate shooting. The dots are usually 2 or 3 MOA in diameter. That's 2 or 3 inches at 100. They can cover the entire black of a standard sight-in target at 100. Worse at 20. And they do not let you teach proper sight picture.
    A peep sight will likely require a new front sight as well. Has to do with the height of the rear sight. William's rear sights start at $45 USD. No fuss at the border with 'em though. Epp's is a William's dealer. They might have a factory sight for it too. Worth an e-mail.
    https://ellwoodepps.com/
    Any Stateside supplier requires their Commerce Dept's exporter's licence. Different thing from the export permit from their Dept of State. Very expensive so a lot of U.S. shops don't export. Tech-Sight(Hartsville, SC), for example, sells a slick adjustable peep much like an M1 Carbine rear sight that slides on the scope base grooves, for $69USD, but they do not export.
    Gravel Agency is closed today, I did try to email them and got the standard reply. It also seem like I will have pay shipping to ship the rifle back to them, So for a gun that is worth less than $200, paying $40 for shipping don't make much sense.
    I read somewhere that Opticscamp will ship to Canada, so I will be contacting about the Tech Sight.

If it was me I would teach him on open sights. After learning the fundamentals on irons, if there was ever a problem with the optics they can be removed and you can still salvage the hunt.
    What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms."
    - Thomas Jefferson, letter to James Madison, December 20, 1787

8. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By Swingerguy

Lee Enfield (01-15-2020), Stew (01-10-2020)

first article I read when googlin 795 recommended Tech Sights, iron sights are the proper way to learn

Several years back Gravel shipped me out a mag release/ejector (one spring, two purposes) when the one on my then new Marlin XT-22 broke. Give them a call, might be able to get them to toss a rear sight assembly into an envelope free of charge rather than ship the rifle.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

11. The Following User Liked This Post By kennymo

Stew (01-10-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by kennymo View Post
    Several years back Gravel shipped me out a mag release/ejector (one spring, two purposes) when the one on my then new Marlin XT-22 broke. Give them a call, might be able to get them to toss a rear sight assembly into an envelope free of charge rather than ship the rifle.
    I called up Gravel on Monday and put in a service request.
    Today I got a email from them, they have placed an order for parts and will ship them out when they get them.
    I might consider getting a DPMS AR because of their great warranty service