Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

308 Win - Horn 220 gr

Any one on here ever loaded Horn 220 gr round nose in a 308 Win - IF ? what powder did you use and grs loaded ? Thks RJ
    Every Day is a Good Day ! Just some Day's are GUN Buying Days !

What gun are you shooting this through Jim? I shot something similar but it would take me an hour to look through my records.
    My gun had a 1 1/4 inch thick chamber and 1 inch muzzle. I was going for a mile with the Chinchaga bullet.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    There is no place in an anti's head where reason can enter. from a Napoleon saying with a tweak.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because thatís the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

220's are too long for .308. Gives too much OAL with SAAMI MAX OAL of 2.800". Hence, there is no proper manual load data.
    Probably won't fit in a magazine either.

Quote Originally Posted by Justice View Post
    220's are too long for .308. Gives too much OAL with SAAMI MAX OAL of 2.800". Hence, there is no proper manual load data.
    No they are not to LONG ! they are right at 2.800 " COAL right at the Factory Cannelure . I loaded dummy rounds and they Fit and Function Perfect thru my Scout rifle ! Also HORNADY loads them in there International line of ammo sold RIGHT here in CANADA . I was just asking IF anyone had loaded any in there 308 and What " POWDER " they used ? Thks ! RJ

5. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By REMINGTON JIM

Aniest (01-26-2020), Lee Enfield (01-11-2020), Rory McCanuck (01-11-2020)

220gr is really heavy for a 308. The velocity will prob be down in the 2200 fps range. A 180gr RN would be a better choice for a 308.

I've been using the 208 AMAX for long range shooting and the biggest problem is getting enough powder into the case. I always end up with compressed loads ..... which isn't a big deal but it does show a bigger case would be a better solution.

These are JUST short range 50 yards or less Bear Defence loads - The SD for that BULLET is 330 ONE of the highest there is NEXT to 400 gr 416 or 500 gr 458 bullet's ! Even at 2100-2150 fps out of my 16.5 " Scout barrel they will penetrate VERY deeply ! 1600 fps is needed for expansion . RJ

Quote Originally Posted by Justice View Post
    Wrong again!!!

Here are two versions of an entertaining saying that is usually credited to Abraham Lincoln or Mark Twain: Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt. It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than open it and remove all doubt.

http://stevespages.com/308_13_220.html
    Scout has a 1/10 twist, 1/8 would be better but since your only loading for defence, not long range. I can't find my notes for the 210 and 220's. Might be with the bullets.
    There is no place in an anti's head where reason can enter. from a Napoleon saying with a tweak.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because thatís the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

Quote Originally Posted by REMINGTON JIM View Post
    These are JUST short range 50 yards or less Bear Defence loads - The SD for that BULLET is 330 ONE of the highest there is NEXT to 400 gr 416 or 500 gr 458 bullet's ! Even at 2100-2150 fps out of my 16.5 " Scout barrel they will penetrate VERY deeply ! 1600 fps is needed for expansion . RJ
    You have allowed yourself to become enamoured with the numbers without considering how they work in the real world. A 180gr or prob even a 150gr out of a 308 Win at close range will go right through a bear. All that 220gr is going to do is carry more energy out the far side of the bear.

The load you are trying to build would only have a benefit over more conventional combinations if you are trying to blow the bear's brains out by shooting it in the ass.

As always, it is shot placement and not energy or caliber or whatever number or value you happen to read in Guns & Ammo that makes the difference in killing an animal.

One thing you will discover quite quickly is that very heavy bullets come with a very heavy dose of recoil, which hinders fast follow up shots and limits the amount of practice you will be willing to subject yourself to. And it is practice that will make the most difference, NOT some small increase in SD value.

11. The Following User Liked This Post By Suputin

Stew (01-14-2020)

Oh and something else Jim those heavy bullets might be wobbling out to 100 yards still.
    Shooting paper from 25 to 75 yards and see if they fly true or keyhole.

13. The Following User Liked This Post By tigrr

Suputin (01-12-2020)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast