Omni hybrid Maxx 5.56 NATO barrel and shroud Browning?

Hey guys, new to the AR platform but was just wondering if anyone new what would bake the barrel and shroud start to turn brown.

It has only had 80 rounds through it between 2 range sessions no rapid fire so I didn't think heat would be too much of an issue.

Range officers says its ok but the internet generally says it's overheating.

Just hoping someone could help clarify this issue for me!

What finish is on it? Where you are might matter too. Have you talked to whoever you bought the thing from?
    The local guy selling 'em says it's a metal reinforced polymer receiver. So it's unlikely to be rust.

Quote Originally Posted by Justice View Post
    What finish is on it? Where you are might matter too. Have you talked to whoever you bought the thing from?
    The local guy selling 'em says it's a metal reinforced polymer receiver. So it's unlikely to be rust.
    It's an indoor range, always stored in a dry room as well and cooled each time before storing.

Gun has a m4 barrel black nitride finish is what I've been told.

The store (Tenda) said it could be the finish /oil burning off but hasn't heard of a browning effect :s

Got any pics?

Quote Originally Posted by Joshcthsu View Post
    Hey guys, new to the AR platform but was just wondering if anyone new what would bake the barrel and shroud start to turn brown.

It has only had 80 rounds through it between 2 range sessions no rapid fire so I didn't think heat would be too much of an issue.

Range officers says its ok but the internet generally says it's overheating.

Just hoping someone could help clarify this issue for me!
    Ar15's don't have a "shroud". That is the forend. Only shotguns will have a barrel shroud.

Anyone who thinks an AR turns brown from "overheating" is an idiot who has never overheated an AR. I have and I can assure you they don't turn brown from heat, not even extreme heat.

It's an indoor range, always stored in a dry room as well and cooled each time before storing.

Gun has a m4 barrel black nitride finish is what I've been told.

The store (Tenda) said it could be the finish /oil burning off but hasn't heard of a browning effect :s
    I very highly doubt the finish on the barrel is nitride. It will be a black oxide finish, similar to parkerizing and parkerizing does not "burn off." For the finish to be affected by any kind of heat, let alone the heat level you describe it would have to be a very cheap paint. Even BBQ paint would be better.

IMO the finish turning brown is likely due to either a mistake in the finish application process or a problem with the finish itself. It will be some kind of chemistry problem.

I have an AR that I have shot to the point it was too hot to handle and that rifle never changed colour or has any problems or changes with its black finish. That rifle was taken to the point of being massively overheated at least a half dozen times. And FWIW it still works just fine.

6. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By Suputin

Billythreefeathers (01-19-2020), Joshcthsu (01-20-2020)

Canadian ForcesMember Billythreefeathers's Avatar
    Rust,,, that's brown,,,
    CSSA

8. The Following User Liked This Post By Billythreefeathers

Stew (01-20-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Billythreefeathers View Post
    Rust,,, that's brown,,,
    AR forends are aluminum.

You know... a picture is worth thousands of words.
    Yes, you can fix stupid, but the stupid folks have passed laws against it. - FallisCowboy

11. The Following User Liked This Post By Grizz Axxemann

SwissArmyMan (01-22-2020)

Canadian ForcesMember Billythreefeathers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Suputin View Post
    AR forends are aluminum.
    Ok then DIRT,,, dirt is brown
    CSSA