Traditions Tip UP

I just got a hold of a Traditions Tip Up that was only ever made in 45-70. I contacted Traditions about it and found that they don't even answer dealers emails let alone anybody else. First I need to know just how strong it is in order to reload for it. Second its drilled and tapped for a scope mount but so far with out Traditions help does not exist. Its 3 holes on what measures 28 mm on center. I went through a web site with maybe a 1000 mounts and nobody else uses that centers. So if I can find a blank mount made fairly heavy I can make my self but that's not easy to find either. I can grind the proper radius on the bottom also. Nobody makes blanks anymore that I can order. Anybody had experience with this gun.

There’s a manual: https://www.traditionsfirearms.com/d...1362674775.pdf

I’m not sure it’s a whole lot of help though. There is a picture of a one piece Weaver-ish rail in there. Might be a common one they also use on their in-line muzzleloaders. Or perhaps Weaver has a part number for it? I can’t see them making something custom instead of using a part they already have on the shelf.

It says factory ammo only in the manual, but I’m fairly certain you’d be quite safe with the loads marked for ‘1895 Marlin’ in some of the books, they’re good in most modern 45/70’s.
    The loads they list for the Ruger#1 are probably a bit hot in a hinge barrel, even if it was safe your shoulder probably would disown you.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

3. The Following User Liked This Post By kennymo

Aniest (03-20-2020)

Know anyone with a NEF or H&R Handi Rifle? They used a Weaver 82, one piece base with three mounting holes. I can’t find a chart showing the hole spacing though....
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

The Traditions model number is A1783
    might try these guys
    http://www.cromwellsfirearms.com/ind..._id=160&page=3

6. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By Stew

Aniest (03-20-2020), lone-wolf (03-16-2020)

I will try and look at these options. The manual is so obscure on stuff its not funny and Traditons never emailed me back which is why most dealers stopped selling their line here. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kenwp View Post
    I just got a hold of a Traditions Tip Up that was only ever made in 45-70. I contacted Traditions about it and found that they don't even answer dealers emails let alone anybody else. First I need to know just how strong it is in order to reload for it. Second its drilled and tapped for a scope mount but so far with out Traditions help does not exist. Its 3 holes on what measures 28 mm on center. I went through a web site with maybe a 1000 mounts and nobody else uses that centers. So if I can find a blank mount made fairly heavy I can make my self but that's not easy to find either. I can grind the proper radius on the bottom also. Nobody makes blanks anymore that I can order. Anybody had experience with this gun.
    If in doubt about breach pressures, use factory 45-70Gov ammo that's 'Good for all Guns'.
    Reloading start with 'Trap-Door' loads and work up to what your shoulder can handle. The Max. Trap-Door loads are the 'Starting' loads for 'Lever-Actions'.

The 2017,18,19 Hodgdon Annual 'Lever-Action' loads for the 45-70Gov are not for the recoil sensitive.
    Data from pg. 141, 2019 Hodgdon Annual, Lever Action, 24" barrel, Starting Load Data - 300gn SIE HP - 55.0gn H4198 - 2221fps - 27,600CUP.
    This load in my Marlin 1895GBL 45-70Gov, 18.5" barrel, chrono 15ft from muzzle, I get a MV of 2150fps = ~3000ft/lb ME.
    Take a kid fishing, hunting and/or shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by kennymo View Post
    There’s a manual: https://www.traditionsfirearms.com/d...1362674775.pdf

I’m not sure it’s a whole lot of help though. There is a picture of a one piece Weaver-ish rail in there. Might be a common one they also use on their in-line muzzleloaders. Or perhaps Weaver has a part number for it? I can’t see them making something custom instead of using a part they already have on the shelf.

It says factory ammo only in the manual, but I’m fairly certain you’d be quite safe with the loads marked for ‘1895 Marlin’ in some of the books, they’re good in most modern 45/70’s.
    The loads they list for the Ruger#1 are probably a bit hot in a hinge barrel, even if it was safe your shoulder probably would disown you.
    Found the same one. Only part in the parts list that has no part number. Go figure.

I have a Ruger No 3 in 45-70 and I know for sure my reloads for that are more then the Tip Up can handle and then some. I never ever use factory ammo for it as the old ammo was so anemic. The new rounds available are not meant for the Trap Door just hard to find .