Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Grandpower Xcalibur vs CZ Shadow 1

Hey guys new at the forum, never owned any semi-auto handguns before but I wanted to get one that is good at the range with little recoil and a good trigger. Heard both these guns are very good, right now the shadow 1 is on sale for 870$, while the GP is on sale for 930$. Which gun shoots better, which one is easier to strip, which gun is more reliable? I have heard that CZ Shadows eat trigger return springs often but there's little info avaliable on the XCAL.

Anyone have experience with both guns?

never had any issues with my CZ

There is no "vs". It's about how well one or the other fits your hand. So you really need to try 'em both on for size in your local shop if you can. Isn't always possible, of course.
    A CZ 75(a Shadow is a 75) does not fit my hand. Tried one on when they first came to Canada in the early 80's. Too big due to the trigger placement. Been crying ever since.
    The felt recoil of any 9mm is negligible. Factory triggers don't matter as all new firearm require a trigger job.
    There is no mention anywhere of extra GP mags in Canada either. A GP might have parts issues should you ever need any. The CZ is more established. Mags are currently on sale at Firearms Outlet for $26.21Cdn. No GP mags listed on their site.

both Bullseye and Select have Grand Power mags in stock atm, someone here shoots a GP, maybe they will chime in

Quote Originally Posted by Justice View Post
    There is no "vs". It's about how well one or the other fits your hand. So you really need to try 'em both on for size in your local shop if you can. Isn't always possible, of course.
    A CZ 75(a Shadow is a 75) does not fit my hand. Tried one on when they first came to Canada in the early 80's. Too big due to the trigger placement. Been crying ever since.
    The felt recoil of any 9mm is negligible. Factory triggers don't matter as all new firearm require a trigger job.
    There is no mention anywhere of extra GP mags in Canada either. A GP might have parts issues should you ever need any. The CZ is more established. Mags are currently on sale at Firearms Outlet for $26.21Cdn. No GP mags listed on their site.
    Thanks for the replies, i tried the shadow once felt pretty good, I can't try out the GP though no one near me has one.

I own both. The rotating barrel on the GP is very much an acquired taste, although there's very little muzzle lift shooting it. I've had to fiddle with the sights on my CZ shadow to get it to shoot true, although it's pretty good now.

A good price for a shadow is under 800$, by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by AmeanKindaDude View Post
    I own both. The rotating barrel on the GP is very much an acquired taste, although there's very little muzzle lift shooting it. I've had to fiddle with the sights on my CZ shadow to get it to shoot true, although it's pretty good now.

A good price for a shadow is under 800$, by the way.
    Do you mean new? If so where can i Find one for 800 CAD? Tenda and firearms outlet are cheapest ive found for 879.
    Also which gun would you take if you can only have one?

RobertMcC
    Quote Originally Posted by Justice View Post
    Alot changed since the 80s. They're not just a CZ 75. While the same action, they got longer dust cover, more material on the slide, so they have more weight, less recoil, better sights, trigger etc. You keep saying that they are big, but have you tried one with different grips? My SP01 with thin grips, has a smaller grip profile than my 1911. Width and depth.

I had a Grand Power K100 MK7, No dealer wanted to get me parts, and when I talked to the distributor, he got pissed. While it was a nice pistol, my CZ SP01 is much better.

Minister of Silly Walks pewpew62's Avatar
    I have the X-Cal and a Shadow2OR. Both shoot well and the S2 definitely has less recoil but I prefer my X-Cal, it makes me look better than I really am. I've got a lot more trigger time on the GP, so maybe that's why I am so good at it. I find it hard to leave behind when I head to the range. Having the windage and elevation rear sight adjustments on the X-Cal has allowed me to really dial it in, so it could be that as well.

CZ, no question. GP is cool, and the rotating barrel is novel; but the CZ has a track record second to none.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast