Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1
    Part-Timer Grizz Axxemann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Leaned over, carving corners
    Posts
    549

    No, it's not a bear defense ammo thread.

    So the BiL gave me the heads-up that I've got pretty good odds of going on a bear hunt this spring. If King Turd and Jester Bill don't say otherwise, I'm planning on taking my Stag 10.

    It's a .308, so barring me magically coming up with a .375 Raptor upper in the next two months, I'll be running it as it is.

    I'll most likely load the mags with factory ammo, but I'm not averse to handloading. Time just doesn't allow for a lot of load workups, between the jorb, the house and the famjam.

    Question is: should I run the 150gr Fusions that I used for deer hunting, or should I go to a heavier bullet for black bears? Range is most likely going to be no more than 50 yards, with 20 or so being the sure thing. I'll be hunting from a ground blind since there aren't any tree stands big enough for me. I'd also like it to not charge me after shooting it (but that's where the extra follow up shots come in, right?) since I don't run for ANYTHING anymore.
    Yes, you can fix stupid, but the stupid folks have passed laws against it. - FallisCowboy

  2. #2
    Go Canucks Go! lone-wolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Isle Saint-Jean
    Posts
    14,773
    I was using 150gr nosler bt when I was bear hunting(no luck), I'd use what you got.
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

    Aptet aut mori

  3. The Following User Liked This Post By lone-wolf

    SIR VEYOR (02-03-2020)

  4. #3
    Senior Member Camo tung's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    3,836
    Black bears have been taken with bow and arrows and 30-30's for eons. Get out and practice with something you shoot well.
    As for follow up shots...as a lad my Dad told me "if you're going to take a shot at a bear, take two". He got his grizzly bear in the Yukon as an 18 year old with the Marlin 30-30 I proudly treasure now.
    "It is an absolute truism that law-abiding, armed citizens pose no threat to other law-abiding citizens."

    Ammo, camo and things that go "blammo".

  5. The Following 5 Users Like This Post By Camo tung

    Aniest (03-08-2020), Grizz Axxemann (02-03-2020), kennymo (02-03-2020), R&R Rancher (02-03-2020), Rory McCanuck (02-03-2020)

  6. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    3,691
    Set up some pickets to slow down his charge at your foxhole. No running required.

  7. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By SIR VEYOR

    Aniest (03-08-2020), Stew (02-03-2020)

  8. #5
    Part-Timer Grizz Axxemann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Leaned over, carving corners
    Posts
    549
    Quote Originally Posted by SIR VEYOR View Post
    Set up some pickets to slow down his charge at your foxhole. No running required.
    Problem is, anyone I could use for that is smarter and faster than me!
    Yes, you can fix stupid, but the stupid folks have passed laws against it. - FallisCowboy

  9. #6
    Moderator kennymo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Winnipeg, MB
    Posts
    12,447
    I’ve used Federal Fusion 150 gr on deer a number of times. I have little doubt it would do the job on a black bear with good shot placement at any reasonable range.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

  10. The Following User Liked This Post By kennymo

    Aniest (03-08-2020)

  11. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    4,126
    A conservation officer told me they had 40 cal pistol bullets go clean through a black bear. Black bears aren't exactly big. Pretty much any common centre fire rifle caliber should be fine. The 308 is more than powerful enough to kill any land animal in N America.

  12. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    SWOntario
    Posts
    2,546
    "...The 150gr Fusions that I used for deer hunting..." Any bullet suitable for Bambi is also suitable for Yogi.
    "...Black bears aren't exactly big..." That depends entirely on where you are.
    Yogi easily runs up to around 500 pounds or more in Ontario. The boar record is 816 pounds. Cindy can run to around 300 pounds. The female record is 454 pounds.
    The .308 will still kill any game in North America with a 165 grain bullet.
    "...I don't run for ANYTHING anymore..." That'd be a good thing. Any one sees you running, they start expecting you to run all the time. And they think we all should run too.

  13. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Just left of Sask.
    Posts
    2,422
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizz Axxemann View Post
    So the BiL gave me the heads-up that I've got pretty good odds of going on a bear hunt this spring. If King Turd and Jester Bill don't say otherwise, I'm planning on taking my Stag 10.

    It's a .308, so barring me magically coming up with a .375 Raptor upper in the next two months, I'll be running it as it is.

    I'll most likely load the mags with factory ammo, but I'm not averse to handloading. Time just doesn't allow for a lot of load workups, between the jorb, the house and the famjam.

    Question is: should I run the 150gr Fusions that I used for deer hunting, or should I go to a heavier bullet for black bears? Range is most likely going to be no more than 50 yards, with 20 or so being the sure thing. I'll be hunting from a ground blind since there aren't any tree stands big enough for me. I'd also like it to not charge me after shooting it (but that's where the extra follow up shots come in, right?) since I don't run for ANYTHING anymore.

    That’s good,
    there is no better way to get chased by a predator than by acting like prey.
    What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms."
    - Thomas Jefferson, letter to James Madison, December 20, 1787

  14. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    3,691
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizz Axxemann View Post
    Problem is, anyone I could use for that is smarter and faster than me!
    I meant as a feature of your ground blind. Think pointy sticks facing outwards. No sacrifice of people required...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •