Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Smc View Post
    Ford doesn't sell cars anymore. If you want a ford, it has to be a truck or an suv.
    Just as well. They've gone back to being rust buckets.

moved close to the lake.Some call it Gilford.
    Quote Originally Posted by t_glover View Post

He told me another story about a guy that had a newer GM truck that had a fault with the lane departure warning system.
    When the system sees you crossing into the other lane or the ditch the driver's seat starts to shake violently.
    The poor guy had to drive for over 8 hours from a remote village near Dease lake to get it fixed with the seat vibrating like crazy.
    Give it to his girlfriend!

...where's the ice? almost outa gin and nothing to mix the vodka with.
    GET OFF MY LAWN!

Banned
    I drove a 2020 Ford F150 a few weeks ago. When you come to a stop the engine shuts off. As soon as you take your foot off the brake it starts again.
    I can see where starters will need to be replaced pretty often. When you shift the transmission into park you can feel the brake pedal drop.
    There are electric motors on the rear brake calipers that apply the rear brakes when you shift into park.

A friend of mine is a mechanic at the local Ford dealership. He told me to hang on to my 2011 F120 as long as I can because the new ones are problematic.
    He told me the stereo is controlled by four modules. If the stereo stops working its not the stereo its one of the modules.

A mechanic at the local GM dealership told me he had a newer under warranty GM pickup come in to the shop because the electric power steering had quit working.
    They are allowed to spend 20 minutes troubleshooting a problem and if they can't solve the problem they are to phone GM's support number.
    The tech support person told him to replace the computer module on the power steering unit. He replaced it and the power steering still did not work.
    The tech support person then told them to replace the electric power steering unit next. Its a rack and pinion steering gear mounted to the firewall behind the engine
    and its a big job to replace. He replaced it and the power steering still did not work. He told me at that point they were pretty much on their own.
    He is a pretty bright guy! All the digital modules talk to each other on a data link. A data link is like a phone line Its a twisted pair of wires that has a
    terminating resistor on each end and multiple taps for various devices. GM calls the data links LAN-1 and LAN-2 or Local Area Network 1 and 2.
    Turned out that when the wiring harness was assembled the rubber seal on the plug that connects to the terminating resistor at the rear of the truck
    rolled over and did not seal and the terminals started to corrode and the power steering module could not communicate on the data link.
    A little electric contact cleaner fixed the problem. The truck was down for between 2 and 3 weeks.

He told me another story about a guy that had a newer GM truck that had a fault with the lane departure warning system.
    When the system sees you crossing into the other lane or the ditch the driver's seat starts to shake violently.
    The poor guy had to drive for over 8 hours from a remote village near Dease lake to get it fixed with the seat vibrating like crazy.
    It feels that 2000-2010 is the epitome of vehicle. I've got a 1995 f-350, but it's definitively rough and I wouldn't road-trip it, this and it is only rated #10k towing / #3k payload (which I could easily max-out). It's still pre-ODB2 so can be a pain to debug. OOTH newer trucks are basically computer on wheels. The 00->10 era seem to give the best of both world, increased payload & towing, while being able to do repair at home.

My current plan though is to swap the axles of my 1995 f-350 for the ones from an 08 350SD dually, super-60 in the front and dana 80 in the back... Getting an 00-10 250/350 may delay that swap, as I'd hate to change a classic. I'd be able to carry ~3500# in the back of my current 350 (though, I'd probably upgrade to HD springs, the single leaf in the front with the 1200lb of the 7.3psd is a bit of a cheap move from Ford..), and and ~2000lb in the "new" old truck, which should cover all my needs.

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    I drove a 2020 Ford F150 a few weeks ago. When you come to a stop the engine shuts off. As soon as you take your foot off the brake it starts again.
    I can see where starters will need to be replaced pretty often.
    We had a rental crossover that did that. There was a way to shut it off. I'm not sure about the F150s, but there's probably a way to do it in them too. If not, then the resale value as far as I'm concerned is exactly zero dollars and I won't even bother looking at them as a used option.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by blacksmithden View Post
    We had a rental crossover that did that. There was a way to shut it off. I'm not sure about the F150s, but there's probably a way to do it in them too. If not, then the resale value as far as I'm concerned is exactly zero dollars and I won't even bother looking at them as a used option.
    I rented an 20199 FX4 F-150, there is a button which has to be pressed after every start to disable the damn thing. If I'm not mistaken, this is a low hanging feature purely to score better at emission test where the ~40 years old standard require the vehicle to sit half the time at idle, in between 0-70 (kph !) acceleration test in 40s... [edit: this is the european ECE 15 Cycle, not sure if Ford certify the F-150 in Europe though]

Anyhow, that FX4's cab had more light at night than the Champ-Elysee during Xmas. It was a true death trap, never drove between Vancouver and Kelowna freaking out that much...
    Last edited by x0ra; 02-10-2020 at 12:49 PM.

I can see where starters will need to be replaced pretty often. When you shift the transmission into park you can feel the brake pedal drop.
    There are electric motors on the rear brake calipers that apply the rear brakes when you shift into park.
    it's a fuel saving option. there should be a way to turn it off. I volunteer for the Rogers Cup. Last year we drove BMW's and some of them did that when it's on a fuel saving option.
    Memeber of NDA, CSSA, OFAH

More Shooting! Less Posting!

Quote Originally Posted by linung View Post
    it's a fuel saving option. there should be a way to turn it off. I volunteer for the Rogers Cup. Last year we drove BMW's and some of them did that when it's on a fuel saving option.
    A few places have a No Idling Bylaw. Some as short as "no idling for more than 30 seconds"

At one point in my life there was nothing as exciting as the prospect of buying a new truck.
    Now I dread it.
    I don't even like my current truck, but the thought of replacing it with something worse haunts my dreams.
    Why does the rest of the country get first dibbs on half my income?

9. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By Dewey Cox

blacksmithden (02-14-2020), firemachine69 (02-11-2020), Northshore (02-11-2020)

I think that holding on my 2010 model for several more years is probably a sound option, based on what I just read... Hopefully. the kinks will have been ironed out by then...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheb View Post
    Hopefully. the kinks will have been ironed out by then...
    It's not a "kinks" problem, it's a core design philosophy problem. Things have gotten from bad to worse since EGR, DEF, etc. hit market. There is no way to comply with current fuel regulation without computer control, if you start to introduce computers, things can only go worse. Now, you get mandatory reverse camera, which means some kind of LCD (which will never turn off, so even the black are still radiating backlight), so why not put let's put more stuff on that LCD, more stuff, more software [written by underpaid Indian companies with more turnover than a fast food cashier jobs], and don't even get me started about ECU networked with climate control, networked with the entertainment unit... You'll never see hardware gauge again... Just look at Tesla, this is where things are going, just a big central LCD and no repair possibility.
    Last edited by x0ra; 02-11-2020 at 12:50 AM.

12. The Following User Liked This Post By x0ra

M1917 Enfield (02-11-2020)

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast