Thread: My other AR....

My other AR....

Looks something like this. Though mine has considerably more ‘patina’.

5816A7C6-12D4-460A-9656-8FB1927847F5.jpeg

I learned to drive on the one I now own, around the age of seven or eight. The operator’s platform is relatively hard to fall out of and the hand clutch is easier to operate for the potentially short legged. (Get up on an International Farmall 350 row crop and you’ll understand the difference) Mine was built it ‘51 or ‘52 given the serial number range.

Anyway, it does have sentimental value and I’m making plans to get it at least rolling under it’s own power once again. It’s been sitting for two or three years, plagued by minor electrical gremlins. I’ve got a line on a complete restoration grade wiring kit with the right old timey fittings, clips, etc... Anyone know anything about a 12 volt positive ground system running a generator and a pair of 6 volt batteries wired in series? Overall it doesn’t seem terribly complicated, there really isn’t a ton of wire on these things to start with. I just get the feeling there’s going to be some sort of surprise when I start replacing things. Also, never worked on a generator system rather than a modern alternator.

Also looking for an active two cylinder Deere forum if anyone knows of a place. The ones Google is throwing at me all seem to be relatively dead.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

2. The Following 9 Users Like This Post By kennymo

2012Cvoguy (02-10-2020), Dewey Cox (02-09-2020), Doug_M (02-10-2020), ESnel (02-09-2020), FALover (02-10-2020), GeoTrekr (02-09-2020), R&R Rancher (02-10-2020), Rory McCanuck (02-09-2020), SIR VEYOR (02-09-2020)

Cool.
    I did a bit of baling on my neighbour's ar when I was growing up.
    I was the worst thing that ever happened to that tractor.
    I filled it up with diesel, not knowing it was a gas engine.
    And it had a knob to open and close the fins on the rad, that I unknowingly kept closed, and over heated it.
    I was thawing out his well pit a couple weeks ago, and I saw he still has it sitting out on the back 40. I didnt want to ask about it, and remind him how poorly I treated it when I was 14.
    Why does the rest of the country get first dibbs on half my income?

Well, given the age of the tractor slow moving forums are understandable...

I’ll see what I can find but start looking for “David Brown” and “Ferguson” tractor club in Canada. They had a newsletter/magazine and did fairly in-depth rebuilds and restoration alternatives.

This project more sensible than fixing up an old car or truck.
    You'll never get your money out of most passenger vehicle projects, but an old tractor holds or even gains value.
    I look forward to watching your progress.
    Why does the rest of the country get first dibbs on half my income?

this forum is active, has an old JD section, seems people there know stuff,

https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/index.php

these guys sell all the wiring and electrical parts
    https://brillman.com/

AR.jpg
    posted pic of model M wiring before I found AR diagram, couldn't delete
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Stew; 02-10-2020 at 01:29 AM.

In spite of all of man's grandiose achievements, he owes his continued existence to six inches of topsoil and the fact that it rains.

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
    This project more sensible than fixing up an old car or truck.
    You'll never get your money out of most passenger vehicle projects, but an old tractor holds or even gains value.
    I look forward to watching your progress.
    Yeah..... That one’s on the list too.....the only thing that’s for certain is I’ll never be rich.

15D3F154-74AD-4D1B-9040-20E6BD16B352.jpeg

Considering I paid nothing for the tractor (Dad kindly decided to give it to me instead of paying to fix it....), I could come out ahead with a rewire, tuneup and paint, along with replacing a couple minor bits of tin (battery trays and fan shroud are the only seriously corroded parts). But it won’t be for sale, and AR’s are fairly common where I grew up. And I’ll need to have it running in time to teach the five year old how to drive in a couple of years.

Thinking back, I’m pretty sure Grandad owned this tractor for a little while too. I know he at least made the tow bar that simulated a three point hitch so we could use the No.5 mower. He also did the rings and head gasket for Dad when I was in my early teens. Dad picked it up to replace an earlier unstyled AR and the Model H that he sold after the tricycle went up on two wheels and scared the hell out of him. Old gas tractors were cheap like borscht, so we ran a bunch of them.
    Last edited by kennymo; 02-10-2020 at 08:55 AM.

9. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By kennymo

2012Cvoguy (02-10-2020), Dewey Cox (02-10-2020), FALover (02-10-2020)

these guys sell all the wiring and electrical parts
    https://brillman.com/
    Pretty sure most everything is available through John Deere.
    Go have a chat with the folks at Enns Brothers, they'd likely let you have a peek at the manual for it too.
    Don't blame me, I didn't vote for that clown. Oct 20, '15

Quote Originally Posted by Rory McCanuck View Post
    Go have a chat with the folks at Enns Brothers, they'd likely let you have a peek at the manual for it too.
    Yeah, I cleaned off the ID plate and grabbed the serial number this weekend. Sometimes they aren’t overly talkative without it...

Quote Originally Posted by Rory McCanuck View Post
    The manual might be up on a google drive somewhere as well. I’ve found a few different ones...