Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Checkering Plastic Grips

I bought some cool grips for my 1911

The only problem is they are completely smooth.
    They didn't cost very much so I was thinking about trying to checker them BUT figure it will just make it impossible to see the graphic.
    Anyone have any experience with something like this?
    Any other suggestions?
    He who hits first wins, regardless of the speed of the opponent’s miss.

My guess is it would indeed be the end of your flaming skulls. You'd basically be cutting fine grooves into the plastic. Or maybe stippling could be an option, but melting pinpoints would probably have a similar effect.

What're your grip surfaces like at the front an back? Maybe you could swap out for some grippy bits there, or even a little grip tape?

I'd imagine that they are still just plain black plastic under the images.

Only think I can think of is to very carefully stipple the black areas of the image to give them some grip.

Draw lines on it then hot wire it following the lines?

Welcome to GOC, Site for honest, hardworking Canadians, that own firearms.

I'd try skateboard tap front and back first to see if that improves your grip.

If you still want more grip then you'll need to start very carefully testing different stuff. On the back side you can try a fine, thin, clear glue. There's alot of trial and error here. Some glue's dry hard, others will stay sticky even after they've cured. The trick is to find one that is highly opaque.

The grips are clear plastic(?) basically with a picture stuck to the back so no matter what I do to the front the pic will still be there.
    I remember a long time ago in shop class we did work with plastic making key chains and things like that. We used files and sandpaper, to get it to the shape we wanted, then used a buffing wheel and some kind of polishing compound to make it smooth and shiny.
    I am wondering if I can use checkering tools and then something like jewelers rouge or something similar and a buffer.
    Ultimately I paid $40 a pair for them so what am I out if I completely screw one set up right?

Any idea about what kind of plastic they are? If they're a hard plastic, regular checkering tools should work.
    Jewelers rouge is more for metals(tried it on my phone's screen. Not a great result.), but there are polishes for plastics. You might find such a thing in a cell phone repair shop. As daft as that sounds.

Ah they're the clear acrylic kind? To be honest if you were to checker it you'd end up with a blurry image like looking through a kaleidoscope and that would only be IF you could polish the grooves enough to be clear again likely they'll just be cloudy white. IMO.

Maybe Pearce finger groove inserts and a new mainspring housing might give you the grip you're looking for? I bought a Ed brown snake skin MSH and it's super grippy.
    Last edited by Waynetheman; 09-30-2015 at 11:55 AM.

[QUOTE=Justice;296541]Any idea about what kind of plastic they are? If they're a hard plastic, regular checkering tools should work.
    Jewelers rouge is more for metals(tried it on my phone's screen. Not a great result.), but there are polishes for plastics. You might find such a thing in a cell phone repair shop. As daft as that sounds.

For the polishing I'd try either a headlight polishing kit or an exceptionally coarse toothpaste like colgate! and for the checkering i would go with the hot wire idea stated earlier in this thread!

Quote Originally Posted by KnowledgeSeeker View Post

For the polishing I'd try either a headlight polishing kit or an exceptionally coarse toothpaste like colgate! and for the checkering i would go with the hot wire idea stated earlier in this thread!
    I never thought of the headlight stuff

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast