Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by The Outlaws View Post
    None at all! To me it seems like a pretty deep gouge but it doesn't feel sharp just rough when I pass over it with some bent wire. I'll try to find something long enough to reach it from the chamber.
    I'm with lone-wolf then. Try some unjacketed lead and see if you get a lot of build up at that spot. If not and it groups ok, leave it as is.
    "It is an absolute truism that law-abiding, armed citizens pose no threat to other law-abiding citizens."

Ammo, camo and things that go "blammo".

Quote Originally Posted by Camo tung View Post
    I'm with lone-wolf then. Try some unjacketed lead and see if you get a lot of build up at that spot. If not and it groups ok, leave it as is.
    I was thinking, with enough rounds the hole will fix itself lol
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

Aptet aut mori

Quote Originally Posted by lone-wolf View Post
    I was thinking, with enough rounds the hole will fix itself lol
    I don't know if the "filling it like a pothole" analogy will work here but hey, it's soft lead lol
    "It is an absolute truism that law-abiding, armed citizens pose no threat to other law-abiding citizens."

Ammo, camo and things that go "blammo".

around here the only shop I know of that advertises the price charges around $40 for recrown, cutting it down to 21" shouldn't be much, front sight, you'll have to ask the guy doing it

If it was me I would go one step at a time. Take it out and shoot it for a while and see how it groups. If it groups good that's great, it might just be some factory defect that looks bad and doesn't effect the grouping. If it doesn't group good then talk to a smith and see what they recommend to get it grouping well.

6. The Following User Liked This Post By Northshore

headhunter2 (02-21-2020)

It's a .22 and a Cooey. Just shoot it. What's the worst that can happen?

I had a Parker Hale 30-06 that had a badly pitted barrel with rings in it.
    It was the worst barrel I had ever seen.
    It would consistently shoot 1 1/8" groups with any ammo I tried.
    Take it out and shoot it! It might work very well.

9. The Following 4 Users Like This Post By t_glover

Aniest (02-21-2020), Gunexpert007 (02-21-2020), MarkR (02-22-2020), Rory McCanuck (02-21-2020)

Thanks for the good advice guys! Might be a few weeks before I can report back though.

I agree with most here: clean the barrel really well and try shooting it. Just echoing others to show it's the best first step.
    Lessons from history and events of today: "resist with all your might, because if you lose once, there will be a catastrophe for your people, and the world will ignore it."

Run a cleaning rod down it and see if there is a "slip" at that point. I have found spots in barrels that way. I also say shoot it first!!! Some have been known to come from the factory that way. The factory may have tested and past it knowing of the problem. It is amazing how well some barrels shot with defects. I have a target rifle that shoots just as well as my other target rifles but there is a defect about 3" from the end of the barrel. I also had a semi auto .22 that had a damaged barrel. It had a big "S" in the barrel. The only was I could see that happening is if there was a bend in it that someone tried to straighten but got the second bend instead. That rifle still shot good and I was impressed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast