Concealled Carry Mexican Restaurant

josquin just came across this old post on the S&W Forum. It deals with a CCW situation, so not directly relevant here, but it does say something about some of the general public's attitude towards guns, even up here.

I’m thinking all this “awareness” about gun control and concealed carry has pulled a good many uninformed people out of the woodwork. I like the new catch phrase I’ve heard about “low information voters” for those who get all their worldly information through 30 second bites from the media.

Case in point, I’m on duty last Friday night, uniformed patrol, and dispatch gives me a call to go to a disturbance at a local Mexican Restaurant. When I arrive the manager advised me that two patrons, a man and woman, were concerned because another man in the restaurant was showing his gun. The manager asked me to pleeeease try not to make a scene in his packed restaurant.

I walk over to the complainants table, a couple in their late twenties, and asked if could sit down with them. They said yes, and after taking a seat I introduced myself and said I understood they had a concern and how could I help. They told me to look over at the group of people about three tables across the room, there’s a man in a blue shirt and sometimes when he moves you can see the tip of something sticking out from under his shirt and we think it’s a gun. I look over at the table in question and observe a guy in a blue oxford shirt that was not tucked in, mid thirties, sitting at a table with a woman, also mid thirties, and two kids, both girls, about 7 or 8 years old. At first glance I would describe them as a “family unit”.

I watched close and sure enough every once in a while as he moved you could glance something protruding from under his shirt about a half inch. Maybe it could be the tip of a holster, maybe a wallet sticking out of his pocket, maybe a comb or brush . . . who knows? The shirt was loose enough that I couldn’t see a gun print. I asked the couple what makes them think it’s a gun and they said they’ve been watching a lot of news lately about all this gun stuff, and reports about all these people who are out in public carrying guns, and they thought they were supposed to report it when they see it.

I asked them, “what if he has a concealed carry permit?”

The guy replies, “Well, it’s not concealed if we can see it from way over here. Isn’t that against the law?”

“Do you folks own any guns by chance?” I asked the couple.

“Oh no, we don’t believe in guns!”

“Okay then, I’ll go check it out for you.”

I get up and ease my way over to the other table as the family is finishing up their meal. I introduced myself and asked if I could sit down for just a moment. “Sure,” the guy says, “no problem”.

I pulled up a chair and sat down and shook hands all around, and with my friendliest smile I ask the man if he has a concealed carry permit and he said he does. I ask if I could see it and his driver’s license, so he pulls them out and shows them to me. I pulled out my cell phone and called dispatch for a quick check and everything came back clean.

“What’s this all about, am I in some kind of trouble?” The guy asks when I get off the phone.

“No sir, not at all. Do me a favor, though. Pull your shirt down a little more next time you’re out. Might save us all a little grief.”

He chuckled and said, “sure, no problem. Thanks!”

I got up and apologized for intruding on their dinner.

The complainants were standing by the cash register at the door as I headed out and asked, “was it a gun?”

“I don’t know” I replied. “I’m not convinced it was a gun or not, and besides he had a valid concealed carry permit. I checked and he is not a hardened criminal.”

“You’re not going to arrest him or at least frisk him on our word?”

“I am not.”

“Humph . . . “, and they turned and walked out.

I leave the restaurant and step out to my car and immediately write up a full contact report, and later turn it in at the end of my shift.

When I come in Monday I have a note that the sheriff wants to see me so I swing by his office and ask what’s up?

He said he read my report on my visit at the Mexican restaurant and wanted to let me know he’d received three calls on it earlier that day. One from the complainants, one from the restaurant owner, one from the gentleman with the family.

The restaurant owner called to thank the sheriff for the way I discreetly handled the situation when he had a restaurant full of customers. He said the complainants had kind of raised a stink about the whole affair before I’d arrived and he was worried there might be a scene. He was thankful there wasn't.

The gentleman with the family turned out to be a city councilman from the county seat in the next county. He said he and his family were in town visiting a sick relative in the hospital when they stopped for dinner at the Mexican restaurant. He said he was sure the sheriff got all kinds of complaints about his deputies for issues justified or not, but he wanted to call and let him know how pleasant his experience had been with me.

Lastly, the complainants called to, well, complain. They told the sheriff that I didn’t do my job and I should have arrested that man for publicly brandishing his gun in a public place in front of children.

I told the sheriff, “Hey, two out of three ain’t bad!”

2. The Following User Liked This Post By RangeBob

elliott264 (02-22-2020)

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    A classic example of solutions walking around looking for a problem. They need to be slapped.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

4. The Following User Liked This Post By blacksmithden

killer kane (02-22-2020)

Banned
    Source ?

Quote Originally Posted by x0ra View Post
    Source ?
    See the link under the 10th word in the first paragraph.

He should've frisked the complainant to see how it would've went.

8. The Following User Liked This Post By SwissArmyMan

killer kane (02-22-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by RangeBob View Post
    See the link under the 10th word in the first paragraph.
    Thanks Bob. FYI, at least on this iPad, the link doesn't appear like one at all. The clickable text isn't shaded a different colour, underlined, or in any other way indistinguishable from the black text around it. I went back to find the link based on your description, and it was like pulling the right book that makes the bookshelf open

10. The Following User Liked This Post By GeoTrekr

Stew (02-22-2020)

Banned

Police officer: Does it scare you to be near people with guns?
    Snowflake: Yes, I don't like guns anywhere near me.
    Police officer: OK, I'll leave.

14. The Following User Liked This Post By Stew

Turtlehead (02-24-2020)