Thread: Budget TRUGLO

Budget TRUGLO

Hi.

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with the lower end TRUGLO 2x42 red dot sight. I'm looking at putting it on my wifes Remington 783 in .223.

Thanks
    Kelvin

2. The Following User Liked This Post By kswan

Fasteddie01 (05-12-2020)

Hi Kswan - I haven't looked at this forum for months, then saw you've had almost 900 'views' with no reply !! what a lazy bunch here ;-) Hope I'm not too late with an answer or that you got some advice somewhere else. Anyway, I haven't used that Truglow, but have used some 'better' ones, and my thoughts run toward 'what are you using this for?' the 783-.223 is a good rifle and very accurate, but the red-dot is 2-3 MOA, so that will reduce your wife's accuracy for short and medium range. It would be good for 'quick, minute of tall animal' ;-) I have a Ruger 223 with a 4-12x and I shoot about 2-MOA at 200 yds. I plan to get a better scope to bring out more of the 223 accuracy. With the red-dot I don't think you can get near that and I would recommend either a variable power or fixed around 6x or better. If she is shooting for target accuracy I would get the best you can afford, tho even a low priced scope is better than most red-dots for targets. For hunting varmints, the red-dot could be OK, but the distance is the critical thing since the dot covers so much of the animal and making a clean kill a problem.

more like not a lot of people used that sight...
    Member of CWTF, NDA, CSSA, OFAH

More Shooting! Less Posting!

Ya, I was just looking at something cheap to give her and idea of shooting with one under 100 m. I used an EoTec years ago and found it ok at close ranges. So, I picked up a vector quite cheap and it's working out well for now.
    Thanks for the reply.