Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Top barrel is full, bottom is IM.
    Why does the rest of the country get first dibbs on half my income?

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
    Also, I started shooting out of the top barrel, so if I do get the gun canted, it shouldn't affect the aim as much.
    The top barrel is full, so some of the guys at the club say I should be shooting that one anyway.
    I had a new shooter with a new gun tell me the same thing: that he was told by an old hand that he should be shooting full choke.

Utter rubbish with a hint of snobbery

From that 16yard line a MOD is all that you need

Of the best advice and instruction that I was given when starting out, ditching the full choke was right up there.

As one progresses, a full choke gives a bit more challenge and satisfaction in turning squarely-hit birds to dust. Many of my guns are fixed full, so I usually go with it by default. Yesterday I stuck either a mod or IM into a gun I hadn’t shot in years, just to add some forgiveness while I got used to the thing again - it broke them just fine.
    Last edited by Mark-II; 07-13-2020 at 12:18 PM.
    SchrŲdinger's Gat - The logical paradox which posits that a firearm, stored safe in the home, is at the same time On The Streets

Club is going to have a trap set up for doubles tonight. WHOOO HOO! Going to burn through lots of shells
    In spite of all of man's grandiose achievements, he owes his continued existence to six inches of topsoil and the fact that it rains.

4. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By R&R Rancher

cowboy01 (07-21-2020), Dewey Cox (07-21-2020)

Thatís was a blast! Mark II, my son and a few other regulars shot a bunch of doubles. Shooting an 870 didnít slow Mark down much on the first round. My son shot doubles for the first time.

Thatís the local organizer of the junior trap league coaching Zach. Youíll have to excuse my crappy filming skills. Canít see the birds but Zach got both of them. . Second round felt pretty good and I finally started hitting pairs constantly. Love seeing them both turn to dust. Darned quick way to burn through a bunch of shells, but it was a blast!
    In spite of all of man's grandiose achievements, he owes his continued existence to six inches of topsoil and the fact that it rains.

6. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By R&R Rancher

cowboy01 (07-22-2020), Dewey Cox (07-21-2020), kennymo (07-21-2020)

Been quiet here on this thread so Iím going off on a bit of a ramble tonight.

So the last time I shot doubles I had a very sore cheek for a week. My 3200 has a lot of cheek slap. Years ago I had a pitch spacer and a better recoil pad added in hopes of taming it. I did some more research and began to wonder if I still had the pitch wrong. To experiment I made up a temporary spacer from wooden tapered shims.

80E484BB-F6FD-42DC-87FA-AB6BC5859161.jpg

Tried it out last night and it was good news/bad news. Good news is that it did reduce face slap some, but I had to really crawl forward on the stock to achieve that. Bad news is that the extra length of the shims made it just a touch too long. I had to remove the recoil pad to get it in the hard case. Thatís why the pad is missing in the picture above.

Shot two rounds of 25 pairs. Struggled the first 25 but shot by myself and took my time on the second. That went much better, managed to hit a 41/50. No score keeper so if I missed I put the hull in my pocket instead of the pouch. I noticed that in addition to crawling forward I need to do a move that brings the butt in towards my chest before it goes into the pocket. The comb is too low and I added a stick on pad decades ago when I bought it. Iím coming to the conclusion that i need to send it to Vic Tomlinson this winter and get a proper adjustable comb installed.

After the doubles I shot a round of handicap from the 27 yard line. My TMX which usually feels like an extension of me felt weird for the first post. I was shooting 3 dram 1-1/8 comfortably with it where I was uncomfortable with the recoil from 7/8 ounce hand loads in the 3200. Maybe I need to have a recoil reduction unit installed in my 3200 at the same time as the adjustable comb. Iíll ponder that for the rest of the season and send it off next winter

Been a good year so far. Iíve been concentrating on trap and havenít shot much skeet. My handicap feels good, shot a 20 from the 27 and the doubles felt like it came together yesterday. Like anything you need to practice to improve.

8. The Following User Liked This Post By R&R Rancher

Dewey Cox (08-12-2020)

I shot a round from the 27 last week for shits and giggles.
    I did better than I expected, and had a riot.

And, I am getting this citori figured out.

Once you do get it dialed in try shooting a round with the old 1100 it will surprise you how weird it suddenly feels in your hands

And isn’t it surprising how small those birds look like from the fence
    Last edited by R&R Rancher; 08-12-2020 at 08:18 PM.

11. The Following User Liked This Post By R&R Rancher

Dewey Cox (08-13-2020)

I've been meaning to post about the divine intervention I had with my citori.
    A few weeks ago a former member of the club who moved out of province stopped in, and said he's spending the summer out here. He didn't bring a shot gun, so I volunteer to bring him one next week.
    I had a meeting to go to that day, and am camping for the rest of the week, so I leave my citori locked up in a seacan for this guy to use.
    We have a couple weeks of insanely hot weather, and the temperatures in the seacan rise to ridiculous heights, so I'm pretty sure I'm OK to leave the gun in there, and it won't rust.
    It turns out to be 2 weeks before I'm back to shoot again, and when I do I notice the mid bead is missing.
    I shoot my first round in a quiet simmer cursing out the guy who borrowed my gun and knocked off the mid bead.
    I mention it after the round is over, and it turns out the guy never came back, and no one had touched my gun since I locked it up. Looks like the intense heat made the bead fall off (maybe it was broken before and glued on? Who knows)
    So, with no one to blame for my gun missing a bead but me, I proceed to shoot it as is, and find myself looking down the rib flatter, instead of stacking the beads like I was before. Everything clicked after that.
    I went to a tournament out of town the next Saturday, and really got in tune with it.
    I've been shooting the top, full choked barrel, and the targets are really disappearing into a cloud of dust. I'm having my best scores ever in doubles. I even surprised myself in a round from the 27 yard line.
    And I don't think this would have happened if the mid bead stayed on my gun.

13. The Following User Liked This Post By Dewey Cox

Hidyn (08-27-2020)

Beads aren’t all they cracked up to be. Know a guy who used to shoot a field grade 870. Front bead broke off and he kept shooting the rest of the summer league racking up numerous 25’s.

After you shoot a gun enough, and it fits you, checking beads is unnecessary. You KNOW if the gun is shouldered right or not and there is no need to check the beads to tell if the gun is mounted properly

15. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By R&R Rancher

cowboy01 (08-14-2020), Dewey Cox (08-17-2020)

What kind of targets are you guys using at your club?
    We are getting towards the end of our stash of white flyers, so we ordered a few pallets of Lawry's to try out for practice.
    Membership is not enamored with them, you get a different color every other throw.
    Last edited by Dewey Cox; 08-18-2020 at 08:33 AM.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast