Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    Shooting handicap with a field stock is a real.... ah.... er.....handicap. Your cheek is not sitting down firmly on the comb and you are relying on your cheek weld. Any movement there means your point of impact moves. You can get away with that from the 16 yard line, but at the 23 what would have been a chip becomes a miss. Add in the psychological effect of a miss that apparently had the right sight picture and you have a recipe for an ugly score.

So how to fix this? Best way is to put an WTB add on the EE on the other site and look for a used 1100 trap stock. I’ve also seen Monte Carlo synthetic stocks in Cabelas that were for shooting scoped slug barrels, but they looked suspiciously like a trap stock to me.

If you are going to adapt your field stock know that the comb is not parallel to the rib like a trap stock. Your solution must address this.

One commercial product is from Meadow Industries. I think a google search will find others

https://www.meadowindustries.com/gunstocks.html

Not sure if this product will make the top of the comb parallel to the rib.

Here’s a picture of 3 of my stocks with various solutions to the same problem

0934510B-A037-4D68-9429-892B463C64E1.jpg

The first stock has moleskin stuck on it to build the comb up. You should be able to buy moleskin at drug stores. I cut a short, thin piece at the back and added longer pieces as I layered it up to get the top parallel to the rib. Don’t wrap around the side. I then added a final layer to stick it all to the stock without adding a lot of width to the stock which would get my eye out of alignment side to side. Advantages, cheap and easy to remove. Ugly as sin and won’t take being out in the rain.

Second stock has a stick on pad. This stock is already parallel, just too low. This pad is a touch too wide and doesn’t really fit me well. This is my doubles gun and I was playing with wood shims to adjust pitch. It’s a work in progress.

The final stock has had an adjustable comb installed by Vic Tomlinson in Ontario. This took a field style stock and made it possible to raise and tip the comb to get it exactly where I want. This is the most expensive option, but the best long term. I have Vic’s contact info if you so desire

If it were me I’d start by trying to build the stock up with moleskin. See how it feels and see how you shoot with it. If you like it, put that add on the EE. If that fails, call Vic.

Once your stock has the correct height, its one less thing to think about during the pre shot routine. You will KNOW by the feel that the stock is correctly on your shoulder and your face, no more need to check beads for alignment. No more worrying about that alignment changing as you swing to a bird. More consistency which leads to better scores.

Hope this helps.
    In spite of all of man's grandiose achievements, he owes his continued existence to six inches of topsoil and the fact that it rains.

2. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By R&R Rancher

cowboy01 (09-22-2020), Dewey Cox (09-22-2020), Stew (10-15-2020)

Hello R&R,

Man, this is a very well composed answer. This is the methodology that I will follow as my 1100 is still all original. I did put a 2-3/4 barrel on it to cycle for doubles but the 3" is still sitting above the bench. I think if I can get another 1100 stock, I would be a little more willing to cut into it (by a professional). I think I will start with the moleskin approach. I did attempt with cardboard last winter but that was just a mess and there was no constancy.

I am just happy to see that I am not alone with this problem as most of the people at my club are shooting fully customizable guns that I am not interested in purchasing at this point. For example, there is a Caesar Guerini shotgun for sale at the club that is way out of my price range.

As usual, thank you again R&R for your guidance on all of my current issues.

If you do come across a trap stock, don't hesitate to snap it up.
    I had a hard time finding one anywhere earlier this year.
    Still have an ad up on here looking for one, and haven't heard anything. (I don't really even need one real bad any more, but I figured I may as well leave the ad up in case someone comes across one)
    I was switching the trap stock I do have between my 1100 and 870, depending on how the 1100 happened to be running that day. Would be nice to have one for each.
    But it's even nicer to be shooting a citori now, and not worrying about the relatively constant issues of the 1100.
    Why does the rest of the country get first dibbs on half my income?

Last 1100 trap stock set I sold went for $275 and that was several years ago. That was some good looking wood!

When I was at the local shop yesterday picking up rings for another project, they had a used 1100 synthetic stock (which is a field stock) for $70. They were having a sale and I was out the door for $65. I am going to use this stock to work up my plans as R&R describes above to ensure that I don't mess up the original wood.

I have just taken the measurements of the current wood stock before I change to the synthetic to ensure that the measurements are known. I will be doing the same with the synthetic and then start building it up to become parallel to the rib.

Season is starting to wind down. Club is no longer open weeknights, only Sundays. The last two Sundays have been extremely windy and the birds, shall we say, rather sporting? Shot a round of skeet and I would say there was over 6 feet of vertical separation on the pair where I broke the doubles. And that was after we had adjusted the elevation on the throwers. The low house ran out of adjustment. Trap was no better. I was holding between 4 to 6 feet above my normal hold points to get the breaks I wanted. In the odd brief lull in the wind the birds resumed their normal flight path and it was way to easy to shoot overtop. Scores were nothing to brag about, but a chance for a day at the club is not to be wasted this time of the year.
    In spite of all of man's grandiose achievements, he owes his continued existence to six inches of topsoil and the fact that it rains.

8. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By R&R Rancher

Dewey Cox (10-05-2020), Hidyn (10-07-2020), Stew (10-15-2020)

I'm pretty sure we had our houses stripped and the machines on blocks at this time last year.
    I'm counting every day I can shoot trap still a bonus.

Our Wednesday nights are still on, but we have to start pretty dang early.
    It's mostly old retired guys, so a 5:30 start is no big deal, but this is my busy time of year, so I usually don't make the first couple rounds.
    Last edited by Dewey Cox; 10-05-2020 at 09:49 PM.

Well, the weather forecast says that's it for this year.
    Instead of shooting tonight, we put the machines up on blocks, and covered everything up for winter.
    Makes me a little sad.
    But reflecting on this past season of shooting, I'm not sad about how it went.
    To recap:
    -I started it out by buying more shotgun shells than I've ever bought at once in my life (and it still wasn't enough to get me through the year.
    -I decided that my 1100 would be the only trap gun I'd ever need.
    -I decided I may never shoot my 1100 ever again
    -After some initial trouble, I figured out how to shoot my new (to me) citori
    -I won member's high overall at my club's trophy shoot
    - I finally shot my first 25 (and then a few others)
    -I shot at 3 different clubs
    -I got my middle daughter started at score keeping.

But mostly, I had a lot of fun.

11. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By Dewey Cox

cowboy01 (10-15-2020), Hillbillyreefer (10-14-2020), R&R Rancher (10-15-2020)

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567