Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    The main stories I hear from guy friends about their wives, is how(according to the wife) everyone at the wife's work place are terrible workers and gossip to no end, ect. ect. like it's still high school.
    A lady that doesn't put herself back into high school is pretty intriguing. Unless the corpses are talking back.
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

Aptet aut mori

2. The Following User Liked This Post By lone-wolf

SIR VEYOR (03-10-2020)

In the trade about 10 years now and ran my own show for about 6. I’m getting off the tools to do something else while my apprentice will be the new face of the company. Really just got burned out being a one man show. I mostly did warehouse refrigeration and restaurant repair work not so much hvac but some for the places that called for it.

Found it to be pretty seasonal work with summer being way too busy and winter being fairly slow, I did enjoy seeing different places and things with each call out, and having preventative maintenance contracts helped damper the slowness but I don’t expect that to be your worry if you work for someone.
    Please refer to me as Waynetheperson, I wouldn't want to offend anyone.

Word of warning, electrical work on 100yr old homes that aren't gutted is a big pita
    Running a wire 20ft, who would of thought that'd be an all day job.

You can guess what I was up to today.
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

Aptet aut mori

Token Female Moderator Candychikita's Avatar
    Heh. I know a number of ladies who went into undertaking and funeral sales. They get to do makeup and it's quiet and people leave you alone. For funeral sales they use customer service and emotional IQ but it's pretty much a guaranteed sale. Something something death and taxes?

FH - I worked the office for HVAC controls once upon a time. They make brisk business, it's mostly inside (some rooftop airhandler business etc) and relatively clean. We had installs and service (lots of business converting pneumatic controls). Bit of a niche market, skills needed were computer aptitude and they were snagging electrical apprentices to cross over to the dark side. Commercial work, not residential, so things were getting paid on a regular basis. I can see this field becoming more valuable with automation happening and the skills are transferrable to other fields looking for automation. If you're smart and know your way around the tools and a computer, it's a possibility. All the chicken barns out here are going fully automated and the service calls you make bank. From what I'm hearing frommy trades HR people they are hungry for staff who are reliable. Just thought I'd put that out there to chew on.

6. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By Candychikita

FlyingHigh (03-11-2020), SIR VEYOR (03-11-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Candychikita View Post
    Heh. I know a number of ladies who went into undertaking and funeral sales. They get to do makeup and it's quiet and people leave you alone. For funeral sales they use customer service and emotional IQ but it's pretty much a guaranteed sale. Something something death and taxes?

FH - I worked the office for HVAC controls once upon a time. They make brisk business, it's mostly inside (some rooftop airhandler business etc) and relatively clean. We had installs and service (lots of business converting pneumatic controls). Bit of a niche market, skills needed were computer aptitude and they were snagging electrical apprentices to cross over to the dark side. Commercial work, not residential, so things were getting paid on a regular basis. I can see this field becoming more valuable with automation happening and the skills are transferrable to other fields looking for automation. If you're smart and know your way around the tools and a computer, it's a possibility. All the chicken barns out here are going fully automated and the service calls you make bank. From what I'm hearing frommy trades HR people they are hungry for staff who are reliable. Just thought I'd put that out there to chew on.
    Yep, service calls for critical business, industry and agriculture are big money. Even as a 12 yr old kid I remember being at a care home with my dad on Christmas day at 7am because the heat cut out and he had to be there to fix it - he took me along to help if needed. Turned out to be a bad thermostat, in and out in 30 mins, cost to the client was probably over $500 for that level of service. Also for dairy farms and commercial kitchens (need to have copious amounts of hot water), chicken barns, any refrigeration, restaurant fryers/stoves - try replacing one at 9pm on a Friday night during a playoffs in a popular pub! Owner doesn't care about cost, doesn't even want to loose time troubleshooting, just get it swapped out now! Replace the gas valve and clean it up and sell it for $750 a week later.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234