Page 61 of 64 FirstFirst ... 11515758596061626364 LastLast

Sweden is moving away from its no-lockdown strategy and preparing strict new rules amid rising coronavirus cases

Sweden's health officials are set to unveil strict new coronavirus rules for local regions to impose.

The country opted against lockdown measures in response to the first wave of the pandemic.

Growing case numbers in areas like the cities of Stockholm and Uppsala, however, have prompted a rethink.

Authorities in the worst-affected areas are set to have the power to strongly recommend people to avoid public transport, busy public places, and contact with those considered most vulnerable.

After opting against lockdown measures throughout the coronavirus pandemic, Sweden is said to be shifting strategies toward the kinds of restrictive measures adopted by most of its neighbors.

Anders Tegnell, Sweden's state epidemiologist, is set to meet with local health officials over the next week to discuss new measures to introduce in response to outbreaks in Stockholm and the nearby city of Uppsala, The Telegraph reported.

Unlike its Nordic neighbors and most other countries, Sweden did not deploy wholesale lockdown measures in response to the first wave of the coronavirus pandemic earlier this year.

Instead, the government led by Prime Minister Stefan Lofven allowed shops, bars, and restaurants to remain mostly open and students to attend school.

Sweden has recorded a much higher per capita death rate than its neighbors since adopting this strategy. It had recorded 5,918 deaths as of Sunday, compared with 278 in Norway and 346 in Finland.

Dr. Joacim Rocklov of Umea University told The Telegraph that after being an outlier earlier in the year, Sweden was shifting to a strategy closer to those adopted by most other governments.

It will give local authorities the power to strongly recommend people to avoid busy public places like shopping centers, museums, gyms, concerts, and sports matches. Swedes may also be asked to avoid public transport and contact with those considered most vulnerable to severe infection.

"What's happened in the last couple of weeks is a movement towards a similar model to what has been used in Norway and many other countries," he said. "It's very obvious that it's a new strategy, but still, the newspapers report on 'the Swedish strategy' as if it were fixed in March."

Johan Nojd, who heads Uppsala's infectious-diseases department, suggested that he would be prepared to introduce harsher restrictions for the city like new rules for hospitality if the number of cases in the city continued to grow.

"Perhaps tomorrow we will have several talking about concerts or restaurants and then perhaps one could say, 'In Uppsala now for two or three weeks it is the Public Health Agency's advice not to sit in restaurants late at night,'" he told The Telegraph.

Unlike in other countries, however, there are not expected to be fines or legal consequences for people who decide not to follow any new advice. Bitte Brastad, the chief legal officer at Sweden's public-health agency, said the rules were "something in between regulations and recommendations."

Tegnell this week said the level of immunity in Sweden's cities was not as high as the health officials had recently believed.

"I think the obvious conclusion is that the level of immunity in those cities is not at all as high as we have, as maybe some people have believed," he said.

"I think what we are seeing is very much a consequence of the very heterogeneous spread that this disease has, which means that even if you feel like there have been a lot of cases in some big cities, there are still huge pockets of people who have not been affected yet."
    https://www.businessinsider.com/swed...rs-2020-10?amp

"Strong recommendations" are not lockdowns.
    The takeaway is Sweden is still treating its citizens like ADULTS.
    Know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til you understand who's in ruttin command here.

3. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By Edward Teach

Big-Boss-Man (10-19-2020), Camo tung (10-19-2020), Magi (10-19-2020)

Alberta; Population 4.3 MILLION, 118 in hospital, of those 16 are in the ICU. Total deaths....307. I'd bet my next paycheck that 90% of those would have been dead before the end of the year anyways, and the rest within 2 years due to comorbidities. Average age of those dying is 82, WHICH IS 2 YEARS OLDER THAN THE AVERGE LIFE EXPECTANCY!!!

https://www.alberta.ca/stats/covid-1...statistics.htm

https://www.cpp.ca/what-is-the-life-...0Nova%20Scotia

This is retarded. It's nothing more than a bad flu. 99% of people who catch it will be fine. The 1% who won't be are the very old or the already sick.

People need to stop focusing on case numbers. "omgz!!! case numerbz rizing!!!!" Shut the hell up. More testing = more cases. Deaths are still a miniscule percentage of the outcomes.

I'm done. I'm over it. Wake the hell up people.

I'll even volunteer to catch the damned virus if it'll get people to shut up. Probably wouldn't be able to catch it even if I wanted to though, since I haven't had the flu since I was 8...haven't had a flu shot since around then either.
    I'd rather make a difference than a dollar.

5. The Following 4 Users Like This Post By FlyingHigh

Big-Boss-Man (10-27-2020), Camo tung (10-27-2020), Edward Teach (10-27-2020), Northshore (10-27-2020)

I've managed to catch the first cold of the season...
    So tell me again how masks and "social distancing" work to prevent the spread of corona viruses. I'll wait.
    Know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til you understand who's in ruttin command here.

Must have been some damned anti masker covidiot that got you sick....

No, the covidiots are the ones who think masks actually do anything.

9. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By Edward Teach

Big-Boss-Man (10-27-2020), Gaidheal (10-28-2020), Macds (10-27-2020)

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelown...essages#314607

Kelowna RCMP say they have taken up investigation into the vandalism at city hall.

Sometime overnight, someone spray painted anti-COVID-19 messages across the side, and front of city hall.

“This investigation is in it’s infancy,” says Cpl. Jocelyn Noseworthy of the Kelowna RCMP.

“This behaviour is criminal and we will be following all leads to determine who did this graffiti.”

Anyone with information is asked to call the Kelowna RCMP at 250-250-762-3300. Or remain completely anonymous by calling Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 or by leaving a tip online at www.crimestoppers.net
    "It is an absolute truism that law-abiding, armed citizens pose no threat to other law-abiding citizens."

Ammo, camo and things that go "blammo".

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingHigh View Post

I'm done. I'm over it. Wake the hell up people.

I'll even volunteer to catch the damned virus if it'll get people to shut up. Probably wouldn't be able to catch it even if I wanted to though, since I haven't had the flu since I was 8...haven't had a flu shot since around then either.
    i'll hook you up with my sisters address? she is in GP, and caught it around thanksgiving, last I head she still had minor symptoms.

13. The Following User Liked This Post By Big-Boss-Man

Edward Teach (10-27-2020)

Not wanting to get any family members fired, I can say the Covid money is just too good to pass up for the medical industry and they want to keep the crisis going purely because some big players are profiting off it. It also helps deflect much incompetence that can now get swept under the rug in the interest of the greater good.