Thread: Build a welder

Build a welder

Different ways to build a welder:

Booster cables in a pinch

For a cheap upgrade get the handle from Princess Auto to make the stick easier to use and last longer

Try to air tight seal some rods and you’ve got a kit of questionable quality and effectiveness for a few years without thinking about it.

Goggles or at least a replacement lens is small and cuts down in the squinting.

NEVER STARE AT THE ARC!! SEVERE EYE DAMAGE POSSIBLE!!
    i have heard a welder tell me he watches the others with only his UVA/B safety glasses with no ill effects. But he’s a welder, so stay skeptical

Taken from another site....:

What can you do with an old stick welder?

Turn it into a TIG Welder.

I needed a larger welder, I had no $ and only had an old stick welder available for a conversion. Did a little research and found out I could convert it to a scratch start TIG.

TIG (Tungsten Inert Gas) - GTAW (Gas Tungsten Arc Welding) - Heliarc welding all refer to the same process. You can use an old cheap DC stick welder for TIG on many metals.

This is a scratch start DC TIG. Metals that can be welded with scratch start DC power TIG are Stainless, Nickel alloys, Titanium, Silicon Bronze, High alloy steels, Low alloy steels, High Carbon steels, low carbon steels, Dissimiliar metals, copper, cast iron, and brass alloys.

This IS NOT an AC HF Start welder so it IS NOT ABLE TO WELD ALUMINIUM or metals requiring AC High Frequency well.

This Tig set up uses DCEN (direct current electrode negative) also known as DCSP (Direct Current Straight Polarity).

Materials needed:

1- Stick welder - Mine is 250 amps AC/DC I will only use DC for Tig because I have no High Freq box.
    2- Argon Tank - Pure Argon nor CO2 - co2 will cause deposits on your tungsten. You will be grinding Tungsten all the time.
    3- TIG torch - one that can handle your available amps and has a manual valve for the gas on the handle. Mine came from ebay for around $100.
    4- Power Block adapter - block that you attach your welding clamp too. It is also used to hook up your gas. Gold colored in pic with welding clamp attached.
    5- Flow meter - I use the same one from my MIG machine. Switch it when necessary.

You set up the flow meter to the power adapter and Electrode Negative clamp to the adapter. Workpiece clamp to the workpiece.
    When ready too weld - turn on gas flow with valve on torch - lightly scratch tig tungsten to metal to start arc. Like striking a match.

Weld away! Remember to shut off gas flow when you have finished running your bead.

This would be nicer with a foot pedal to control the weld pool better; I got used to welding with a quality Tig set up and it took awhile for me to adjust to not having a foot pedal.

DSCN2319.JPG
    1024×768 185 KB

DSCN2318.JPG
    1024×768 158 KB

And another cut and paste:

Here is a link to a homemade arc start box. I have never tried this one but the arc start boxes use to be a common thing in the day .

http://hackaday.com/2009/01/19/high-...ncy-start-box/ 381

asian welder.jpg

If you really want to cut costs...go with the pro's.
    "It is an absolute truism that law-abiding, armed citizens pose no threat to other law-abiding citizens."

Ammo, camo and things that go "blammo".

5. The Following User Liked This Post By Camo tung

kennymo (05-13-2020)