Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 29 of 29
  1. #21
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Stew View Post
    my Stevens 320 holds 9 minishells in the tube and cycles flawlessly, one of the few
    What brand, shot size?

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    2,062
    I have Federal slugs, #4buck, #8shot

  3. #23
    Senior Member SereneCarbine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    WPG
    Posts
    135
    I have two 14" Hatsans but have never removed the mag spring or follower, because I haven't needed to. These models do not have hunting plugs in them and I have no issues with the OEM Hatsan followers.

    My 18.5" and 20" Hatsans are designed to easily install or remove hunting plugs. One of them has a simple mag cap like an 870 the other one has the disc insert like the 14" models. Those were removed without issue but the one with the disc/washer did not have the solid disk under the retaining washer. That solid disc that you're having a hard time to take out is there too stop debris from entering the mag tube.

    It can be taken out but you will need to pry it out and will mar up the disc while trying to get it past the knurled teeth on the tubes end that surrounds it.
    Again this is there to keep debris out of the open mag tube design and weren't really designed to be readily removed in the first place on the 14" models.
    Only reason would be due to spring/follower malfunction or two swap the follower. I haven't seen any mag tube oriented failures on these guns and anything that did would likely be handled through warranty service by Bell Outdoors anyways.

  4. #24
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by SereneCarbine View Post
    I have two 14" Hatsans but have never removed the mag spring or follower, because I haven't needed to. These models do not have hunting plugs in them and I have no issues with the OEM Hatsan followers.

    My 18.5" and 20" Hatsans are designed to easily install or remove hunting plugs. One of them has a simple mag cap like an 870 the other one has the disc insert like the 14" models. Those were removed without issue but the one with the disc/washer did not have the solid disk under the retaining washer. That solid disc that you're having a hard time to take out is there too stop debris from entering the mag tube.

    It can be taken out but you will need to pry it out and will mar up the disc while trying to get it past the knurled teeth on the tubes end that surrounds it.
    Again this is there to keep debris out of the open mag tube design and weren't really designed to be readily removed in the first place on the 14" models.
    Only reason would be due to spring/follower malfunction or two swap the follower. I haven't seen any mag tube oriented failures on these guns and anything that did would likely be handled through warranty service by Bell Outdoors anyways.

    Thanks for the info SC, interestingly mine did come with the hunting plug, but was easily removed....Hatsan says the mag must be removed in an email they sent me.....which would make sense with what your saying that it wasn’t really meant to be removed....the magazine is ever so close to being able to hold 5 rounds I though I might be able to change out follower or remove 1-2 coils of spring to make room for the 5th shell, additionally I just want to learn about the gun and it’s assembly and disassembly....but I think I’m leave it for now, and see if I can find some shorter 2 3/4 shells....I have read that Hornady reduced recoil is slightly shorter in 00 as only 8 pellets as opposed to 9.....it’s that close to being able to take a 5 shell.....anyway, thanks for taking the time.

    Cheers

  5. #25
    Senior Member SereneCarbine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    WPG
    Posts
    135
    Quote Originally Posted by Nola View Post
    Thanks for the info SC, interestingly mine did come with the hunting plug, but was easily removed....Hatsan says the mag must be removed in an email they sent me.....which would make sense with what your saying that it wasn’t really meant to be removed....the magazine is ever so close to being able to hold 5 rounds I though I might be able to change out follower or remove 1-2 coils of spring to make room for the 5th shell, additionally I just want to learn about the gun and it’s assembly and disassembly....but I think I’m leave it for now, and see if I can find some shorter 2 3/4 shells....I have read that Hornady reduced recoil is slightly shorter in 00 as only 8 pellets as opposed to 9.....it’s that close to being able to take a 5 shell.....anyway, thanks for taking the time.

    Cheers
    Keep looking at different shells and different manufacturers. Likely you'll want something with low brass if you're trying to fit 5 in that tube.

    Remember that it's the shell's fully expanded hull that is measured at 2 & 3/4, not the entire length of the round itself.

    High brass shells will be longer in length than low brass.
    If you are measuring/using buckshot, those usually always utilize high brass so will have some increased length.
    Last edited by SereneCarbine; 04-20-2020 at 12:27 AM.

  6. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    New Brunswick
    Posts
    31

    Cool ? Solution for 5 + 1 magazine ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nola View Post
    Thanks for the info SC, interestingly mine did come with the hunting plug, but was easily removed....Hatsan says the mag must be removed in an email they sent me.....which would make sense with what your saying that it wasnít really meant to be removed....the magazine is ever so close to being able to hold 5 rounds I though I might be able to change out follower or remove 1-2 coils of spring to make room for the 5th shell, additionally I just want to learn about the gun and itís assembly and disassembly....but I think Iím leave it for now, and see if I can find some shorter 2 3/4 shells....I have read that Hornady reduced recoil is slightly shorter in 00 as only 8 pellets as opposed to 9.....itís that close to being able to take a 5 shell.....anyway, thanks for taking the time.

    Cheers
    Hi Nola - I just bought a Hatsan 14" MarineGuard pump first of the month and ran into that issue of "ever so close" - and I believe I know what you need to do if your weapon is assembled the same as mine. When you removed the 2-round plug, I believe you replaced the 'removable' washer that has a raised lip for removal. I did that and could only get 4 7\8 shells in. So I removed that washer and was able to get in 5 Just have to be careful to not get dirt into that remaining tiny hole in the spring retainer.
    Hope this is also a solution for you,
    Ed

  7. #27
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Fasteddie01 View Post
    Hi Nola - I just bought a Hatsan 14" MarineGuard pump first of the month and ran into that issue of "ever so close" - and I believe I know what you need to do if your weapon is assembled the same as mine. When you removed the 2-round plug, I believe you replaced the 'removable' washer that has a raised lip for removal. I did that and could only get 4 7\8 shells in. So I removed that washer and was able to get in 5 Just have to be careful to not get dirt into that remaining tiny hole in the spring retainer.
    Hope this is also a solution for you,
    Ed

    Hello Ed! Thanks for info! I never replaced the washer, so I have to ask....what brand, shot size shells are you using? And did you have to use more force to get the last one in?

    Cheers!

  8. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    New Brunswick
    Posts
    31
    Nola - I wasn't paying close attention to your post, I was using 2 3/4 shells - Win Rackmaster HV 1 oz slugs. They just barely fit. For 2-3/4 I checked with Challenger #8 and 7.5s, they take 5 & leave room for about 1/2 another shell; and Fed #4 HvyField leaves about 1/4 shell room. I don't have any 3" but I'd guess the #8 target might fit 5x 3" but it would be close. Sorry to get your hopes up. Maybe if its really close you can 'trim' the tip of the follower? or 2-3 coils of the spring, tho the last 1-2 rounds might not have enough power to load after a bit of use. For HD I think 2 3/4 slugs would do the job, and 00 won't make a bigger hole. Check out Demolition Ranch vids. He does a side of beef with various rounds and at 7 yards there's not much diff. - just one big hole.

  9. #29
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Fasteddie01 View Post
    Nola - I wasn't paying close attention to your post, I was using 2 3/4 shells - Win Rackmaster HV 1 oz slugs. They just barely fit. For 2-3/4 I checked with Challenger #8 and 7.5s, they take 5 & leave room for about 1/2 another shell; and Fed #4 HvyField leaves about 1/4 shell room. I don't have any 3" but I'd guess the #8 target might fit 5x 3" but it would be close. Sorry to get your hopes up. Maybe if its really close you can 'trim' the tip of the follower? or 2-3 coils of the spring, tho the last 1-2 rounds might not have enough power to load after a bit of use. For HD I think 2 3/4 slugs would do the job, and 00 won't make a bigger hole. Check out Demolition Ranch vids. He does a side of beef with various rounds and at 7 yards there's not much diff. - just one big hole.
    Interesting stuff, after reading your post I opened a box of win heavy game #2.....pulled them all out and picked the shortest 5....( minor differences in length but figured I’d try) .....and was able to just get 5 in....cycled the shells through a few times and seems good.....I read that the reduced recoil 8 pellet 00 from Hornady is about as short as it gets with 00....I’m gonna try those when I can get them again......Ammo is hard to come by presently, at least local to me.

    Cheers!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •