SpaceX forbids workers from using Zoom amid security worries

SpaceX has banned its employees from using video conferencing app Zoom, citing “significant privacy and security concerns,” according to a memo seen by Reuters, days after US law enforcement warned users about the security of the popular app. SpaceX’s ban on Zoom Video Communications illustrates the mounting challenges facing aerospace manufacturers as they develop technology deemed vital to national security while also trying to keep employees safe from the fast-spreading coronavirus. In an email dated March 28, SpaceX told employees that all access to Zoom had been disabled with immediate effect. NASA, one of SpaceX’s biggest customers, also prohibits its employees from using Zoom, said Stephanie Schierholz, a spokeswoman for the US space agency. The FBI’s Boston office on Monday issued a warning about Zoom, telling users not to make meetings on the site public or share links widely after it received two reports of unidentified individuals invading school sessions, a phenomenon known as “zoombombing.” Investigative news site The Intercept on Tuesday reported that Zoom video is not end-to-end encrypted between meeting participants, and that the company could view sessions.
    https://nypost.com/2020/04/02/spacex...urity-worries/
    Retired Maryland State Police Captain Jack McCauley speaking in the Maryland Senate for CCW reform:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdUaPDiW-GY

Lots of news on the subject.

https://www.newsweek.com/zoom-safe-p...avirus-1495728

https://theintercept.com/2020/03/31/...ng-encryption/

https://www.seattletimes.com/busines...orney-general/

I tried to warn people when they asked me about this app about a year ago. They didn't listen. Now they're worried.

These apps are all the rage in these isolating times. FaceTime, Skype, Facebook Messenger, Google Hangouts, Amazon Chime, GoToMeeting, Teams, Zoom, WhatsApp, Marco Polo, Houseparty, you name it. If it's free and convenient, there's a reason.
    Last edited by awndray; 04-03-2020 at 07:45 AM.

3. The Following 5 Users Like This Post By awndray

chrisc (04-03-2020), firemachine69 (04-03-2020), M1917 Enfield (04-03-2020), Rory McCanuck (04-03-2020), Waterloomike (04-03-2020)

BBM has a video feature as well. Does anyone know how secure that one is? Their messages were always encrypted end to end but I don't know if that extends to video chat as well.
    Lifetime Member PAPRC, SHA
    Member NFA, NRA, SRAC, FMFG, SFC

I hope whoever is reading my fb messages gets a laugh
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

"It must be poor life that achieves freedom from fear" - Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by chrisc View Post
    BBM has a video feature as well. Does anyone know how secure that one is? Their messages were always encrypted end to end but I don't know if that extends to video chat as well.
    BBM is dead and gone last I saw.
    Remember High River!

BBM (Emtek) no longer exists as of May of last year. But BBMe is still operational, although the average user probably doesn't want to pay for the service.

Blackberry's encryption is robust, but it's not bulletproof. All encryption can be broken. It's a matter of will and effort.

Personally, I like Signal for free end-to-end encryption chat (including video). But you're not going to get group video chat, which is what people are attracted to when they use Zoom, Houseparty and the like.
    Last edited by awndray; 04-03-2020 at 01:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Burke View Post
    BBM is dead and gone last I saw.
    BBM enterprise is still going but you have to pay for it. It's pretty cheap however, I use it for work and I think it's like $10 a year. I got sick of using Facebook messenger for work stuff with my guys so we switched back to BBM. Pictures come through nice and fast and don't have the downgraded quality and lag that regular texts suffer from.
    Lifetime Member PAPRC, SHA
    Member NFA, NRA, SRAC, FMFG, SFC

BBM was never secure. RIM always had a key, and gave it out to all governments.

Indeed.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the...p-surveillance

hey key wasn't/isn't just in the hands of government agencies and law enforcement. It's out there. And with some equipment easily obtainable online, you too can intercept Pin-to-Pin messages and such.

I use Cisco WebEx and Bell BETC. Both have video and audio capabilities.

I also have Cisco Jabber but it is high bandwidth and crashes often so I never use it.

I also have a Black Berry. I assume it has all the RIM stuff but I've never use any of it. It's a company phone and no one else in the company was using it. At the time it was the only free phone they're willing to pay for. They have since taken down the servers so it's just worthless junk now.

So I don't worry about the security, as I'm only using them when I'm inside the VPN. Up to the VPN team to make sure it is secure. As long as I'm only using them inside the VPN, I did my due diligence in making sure it is secure.
    Member of CWTF, NDA, CSSA, OFAH

More Shooting! Less Posting!