Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Barnes 450gr TSX FB in 45-70....

I've sent a email to Barnes in regards to load data and if the seating depth would encroach to severely on powder capacity but with no response yet. It would be utilized in my modern Winny 1885 so the spitzer design is a non issue along with fitting in a magazine. Wadda y'all think, does this thought have merit? My internet searches show some random crap and the recipes I would not trust as nothing is verified and they seemed on the HOT side. If the powder has the space, a starting .458WM load downed a tad? Interested in what Barnes has to say......

Off the top of my head... would you have enough velocity to have the bullets reliably expand? Those TSX bullets do have a minimum velocity, otherwise they wont open on impact.

Around 1600 is what I'm gathering, does a .45 need to expand? lol. Just kidding, I want to still impart some hydrostatic shock to be sure. Idle mind and all..........

A .45 hole will definitely do some damage, even without expansion.

The internet says you need 1800 fps minimum velocity but 2000 fps is better.

Quote Originally Posted by 2012Cvoguy View Post
    Around 1600 is what I'm gathering, does a .45 need to expand? lol. Just kidding, I want to still impart some hydrostatic shock to be sure. Idle mind and all..........
    The hydrostatic shock theory is old news. Current science says bullets kill by the amount of light they let into an animal. Sunlight is extremely damaging to tissue.

6. The Following 5 Users Like This Post By Grimlock

kennymo (04-10-2020), possum (04-10-2020), Rory McCanuck (04-10-2020), Stew (04-10-2020), Swingerguy (04-10-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Grimlock View Post
    The hydrostatic shock theory is old news. Current science says bullets kill by the amount of light they let into an animal. Sunlight is extremely damaging to tissue.
    Is this why you can’t hunt at night? Makes sense.

8. The Following 5 Users Like This Post By JustBen

Camo tung (04-10-2020), chuckbuster (04-11-2020), kennymo (04-10-2020), possum (04-10-2020), Swingerguy (04-10-2020)

Not unless you use a spotlight
    Don't blame me, I didn't vote for that clown. Oct 20, '15

10. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By Rory McCanuck

kennymo (04-10-2020), possum (04-10-2020), Swingerguy (04-10-2020)

Those Hornady Leverevolution projectiles are no slouch if you’re looking for something pointy to stick in there. I’m getting good results running their .358 projectiles through my 35 Whelen. Not sure on the expansion bit, I can tell you the TSX’s perform brilliantly when launched somewhere approaching 3500 FPS....

How strong is that action? You can approach 458 mag levels in 45/70 if you’re shooting a ruger#1 (or other ridiculously strong action), but levers typically aren’t designed for that kind of jam. A BLR might do it with the rotating bolt head...

Copper solids generate more pressure than lead cored bullets of the same weight due to the extra length (more contact area with the bore). Not saying it can’t be done, but care needs to be exercised on this one...

** Dammit. Got 1885 and 1895 mixed up in my head. That’s considerably stronger than the 1895... Does Winchester list maximum pressures for that gun? My neighbour has one from the run Browning did a decade or so back in 300 WSM. Scary accurate, but weighs as much as my .308 Frankenstein fencepost.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

From what I've read previously, No #1 strong but the hammer/firing pin is the failing at crazy CUP. It does shoot the 325gr Leverloutions very well, maybe I should stop looking a gift horse in the mouth. Barnes has not replied either, so.......

You are so correct on the weight of these pigs!

What powder?
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    There is no place in an anti's head where reason can enter. from a Napoleon saying with a tweak.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because thatís the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast