Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    The P-64 70 was and is an exceptional rifle and it's reputation is well earned.

I bought my first, an unfired Alaskan-.338WM, in January, 1968, aged 21, from a retired dealer and still have it. I have owned 43 of them, sold most in recent years and have a few left.

I have two Classics, as they come from the factory, an inferior action to the original version which I do prefer and I like these in stainless for custom projects such as BC hunting rifles.

Those such as Chuck Hawks, who tend to criticize the old action are full of bullshit and should stick to knitting doilies.

In over 40 years, I've never seen any receivers only. Remington, for example, does not sell just actions. Don't think Winchester does either. Most guys buy a rifle either BNIB or a used rifle.
    The whole pre vs post 64 thing is kind of moot. Winchester "simplified" and "modernized" manufacturing techniques and went to stampings and plastics for non-essential parts on some rifles. It's collectors who care the most.

Quote Originally Posted by Justice View Post
    In over 40 years, I've never seen any receivers only. Remington, for example, does not sell just actions. Don't think Winchester does either. Most guys buy a rifle either BNIB or a used rifle.
    The whole pre vs post 64 thing is kind of moot. Winchester "simplified" and "modernized" manufacturing techniques and went to stampings and plastics for non-essential parts on some rifles. It's collectors who care the most.
    https://store.prophetriver.com/remin...terfire-27347/

Remington does sell just actions. Barrelled actions (less trigger and stock) are available from a number of manufacturers as well. I haven’t seen any from Winchester.

The pre and post 64 Model 70 actions are completely different designs. The ‘classic’ Pre 64 action introduced in the 90’s is similar to the original, but not completely identical. I assume the current Japanese production more or less follows the 1990’s design, though I’m not positive.
    Last edited by kennymo; 07-15-2020 at 04:58 PM.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123