Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JustBen View Post
    Not all. The cheaper versions are still push feed.
    New (Japanese) manufacture Model 70’s are all controlled feed with Mauser extractor. There were two versions in the 90’s (maybe right into the 2000’s) when they brought back the ‘pre-64’ style action, but that disappeared with the bankruptcy and the shift to Japan.

They do make the XPR, a push feed budget bolt rifle, but that’s a new design along the lines of the Savage Axis or Remington 783.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

So an action from the mid 90s is a good one?
    A harmless man is not a good man. A good man is a very dangerous man who has that under voluntary control.
    -Jordan Peterson

Quote Originally Posted by kennymo View Post
    New (Japanese) manufacture Model 70’s are all controlled feed with Mauser extractor. There were two versions in the 90’s (maybe right into the 2000’s) when they brought back the ‘pre-64’ style action, but that disappeared with the bankruptcy and the shift to Japan.

They do make the XPR, a push feed budget bolt rifle, but that’s a new design along the lines of the Savage Axis or Remington 783.
    I guess I'm wrong. The pushfeed actions were entirely discontinued in 2006.

Quote Originally Posted by play.soccer View Post
    So an action from the mid 90s is a good one?
    The best one, IMHO, is the PGW clone action.

The Winchester Rep. in SK Jack Adams was a good friend. He told me Winchester hired a bunch of new grad "accountants" who quickly found ways to save big $$ and the head bean counters agreed. Quality went down the sewer with ideas such using spot welds on the pump arm of the model 12 instead of rivets and a cast shell carrier for the 94 instead of it being machined as previously amongst other ideas.

The had every model 12 returned and the saving was supposed to be $2.00 per gun. Spent a fortune repairing them with rivets as originally used plus postage both ways. Same with the 94. The old machined carrier would bend a shell case if things didn't load properly while the shell would bend the cast and they repaired countless. Lost their A$$ on those alone let alone their reputation. All their guns had "savings" applied and most ended up costing them big bucks.

The irony was there was this old guy that worked at the arms factory and told them every time "this will not work" but alas the bean counters went ahead and the rest is history. Jack said the old guy had worked at Winchester for decades when he met him in the 60's and thinks he never finished elementary school but was a very smart guy.

Bean counters have destroyed countless businesses.

6. The Following User Liked This Post By Lee Enfield

Grey_Wolf (06-01-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by 6MT View Post
    The best one, IMHO, is the PGW clone action.
    Where does one find one of these?
    A harmless man is not a good man. A good man is a very dangerous man who has that under voluntary control.
    -Jordan Peterson

I think that Nate would sell just an action. You'd have to ask him. Google PGWdti.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Enfield View Post
    The Winchester Rep. in SK Jack Adams was a good friend. He told me Winchester hired a bunch of new grad "accountants" who quickly found ways to save big $$ and the head bean counters agreed. Quality went down the sewer with ideas such using spot welds on the pump arm of the model 12 instead of rivets and a cast shell carrier for the 94 instead of it being machined as previously amongst other ideas.

The had every model 12 returned and the saving was supposed to be $2.00 per gun. Spent a fortune repairing them with rivets as originally used plus postage both ways. Same with the 94. The old machined carrier would bend a shell case if things didn't load properly while the shell would bend the cast and they repaired countless. Lost their A$$ on those alone let alone their reputation. All their guns had "savings" applied and most ended up costing them big bucks.

The irony was there was this old guy that worked at the arms factory and told them every time "this will not work" but alas the bean counters went ahead and the rest is history. Jack said the old guy had worked at Winchester for decades when he met him in the 60's and thinks he never finished elementary school but was a very smart guy.

Bean counters have destroyed countless businesses.
    Very true. Seen it time and time again. But that holds true in other ways - sometime we are our own worst enemy and do it to ourselves

From what I can gather, the new production model 70's are some of the best model 70's ever produced.

JustBen, I know of a store clearing out new production Sporter M70's for a super smoking price, I think they've got about 4 left as of the weekend...PM me if you're interested....

Quote Originally Posted by hawk-i View Post
    From what I can gather, the new production model 70's are some of the best model 70's ever produced.

JustBen, I know of a store clearing out new production Sporter M70's for a super smoking price, I think they've got about 4 left as of the weekend...PM me if you're interested....
    I spent my money on another 700 action and a GSG16 instead. This will be a future build.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast