What's Up With This?

KIMG0674.jpg

Is it heat/pressure from one round leaking into the chamber of a fired round beside it?

Those look like 3" got any 2-3/4" you can try?

They're supposed to be fine with 3" shells. But considering they're all deformed the same way except for what I assume is the last shell fired, I would assume it's jamming a bit on something when the cylinder is rotating.
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

"It must be poor life that achieves freedom from fear" - Aldo Leopold

would be 2.5 I think but info says 3" chamber

moved close to the lake.Some call it Gilford.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmay View Post
    KIMG0674.jpg

Is it heat/pressure from one round leaking into the chamber of a fired round beside it?
    Have you tried a different brand of ammo? Could be a minor tolerance issue with the hulls.
    GET OFF MY LAWN!

Some of those revolver .410’s were 2.5” only. If the shell length is correct for the chamber, maybe the manufacturer cut them a touch long and they’re clipping the forcing cone as they rotate? Try a different brand?
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

I thought of that too, but wouldn't you notice the resistance as you try to rotate?

Quote Originally Posted by LB303 View Post
    I thought of that too, but wouldn't you notice the resistance as you try to rotate?
    It's gonna fine before firing, and I'm thinking once fired you're using the hammer to cock and rotate the cylinder, the hammer acting as a lever might be making it less noticeable then you'd expect.

I have the same shells, I even had the same gun, but I sold it soon after getting it. I don't recall noticing anything like this myself, but I wasn't looking for it either.
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

"It must be poor life that achieves freedom from fear" - Aldo Leopold

I believe that is caused by the heat. The Revolution Arms version doesn't have the "blast shield" on the receiver to prevent gasses from pushing past the forcing cone and onto your arm (as all revolvers do) and this is why. The trade off is that the Canuk version doesn't spray the front arm holding the forearm of the shotgun with blast, but thin 3" hulls can be deformed from that heat blasting back into the cylinder.

Looking at the hulls from the left to the right right the firing order would have been: 5, 1, 2, 3, 4 The second hull should be the first one fired as it got hit by heat from the second shell and last shell fired.

You can prove I am wrong (which I encourage you to do) by measuring your cylinder: a 3" rated one should be 3.075" long while an "over long" one rated for 2 3/4" will be 2.850" or there about and a proper 2 3/4" only will be 2.785". If you have less than a 3.025" long cycliner it is not "properly" rated for 3" shells (you still can shoot them down to 3.005", yes).

You can prove me right by numbering 5 shells, shoot them and see if it matches my numbering above.

I hope that helps...

... and yes, I reload for .410 bore, that's how I know this stuff.
    "So this is how liberty dies, with thunderous applause..."

10. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By Aniest

lone-wolf (05-06-2020), Stew (05-06-2020)

Thanks a bunch guys. I do have some 2 3/4" I'll try, as well as other brands, and will get a measure on the cylinder to just to satisfy curiosity.

Didn't notice much for resistance when thumbing the hammer, but sure did when I went to eject them all, which is why I even looked at them in the first place.