Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Spectacular View Post
    Sorry if I missed this, but what was the "official" lumen count on these?
    The "official" is 13000 or 13800...I had them come in with both numbers. The "real" lumen count is 11700.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

Banned
    I meant to ask earlier - are these flashlights classified as water proof? IE, drop in a river while on waterproof?

Quote Originally Posted by YukonLeftie View Post
    I meant to ask earlier - are these flashlights classified as water proof? IE, drop in a river while on waterproof?
    Good question.....I don't think so. I wouldn't trust mine to a complete bath...rain, sure, but I wouldn't give it an outright swim in a lake/river. Even ones that say they're water resistant don't like getting completely submerged. I've got a few proper dive lights that are designed for it, and these things aren't even close to being packed that tightly.
    GOC moderator
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

Banned
    Oh, here's one I didn't notice -- the button glows in the dark.

Neat.

EDIT -- utoh. Houston, we (may) haz problem.

I did some searching on this sleepless night of mine, and seems these lights are prone to meltdown problems if left on high. It seems that due to the immense power draw - better than 7 amps - that these lamps draw, the feed wires incinerate themselves. So, after doing a bit of research, I decided to check for myself --

If memory serves, those are no better than 16G wires, about 8" total length between the two. I know that at full voltage it's tossing just shy of 22 volts; and given that everything I have read so far suggests the head of the lamp reaches a good 200 degrees F on the OUTSIDE, that gives me cause for concern. I let the lamp run for ten min split apart and checked for temp, and didn't feel any severe rise; but that was with the head apart from the body with weak batteries. After I recharge, I will bring my tester home tonight and check the system over myself. As it stands, this may be the weak point of the lamp.

A couple links I found for folks to read --

http://budgetlightforum.com/node/15582 - this fellow did a very nice writeup on the 9LED version of this light.

http://budgetlightforum.com/node/17209 - this is where I initially found the cause for concern.

In any event, if these lights give anyone trouble; I would start there at those wires. And, I will note, Ive not seen any issues with mine; but given the cost I got curious.

Sorry Den - not trying to cause issues, but I did think folks might be curious.
    Last edited by YukonLeftie; 04-15-2013 at 06:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by YukonLeftie View Post
    Oh, here's one I didn't notice -- the button glows in the dark.

Neat.

EDIT -- utoh. Houston, we (may) haz problem.

I did some searching on this sleepless night of mine, and seems these lights are prone to meltdown problems if left on high. It seems that due to the immense power draw - better than 7 amps - that these lamps draw, the feed wires incinerate themselves. So, after doing a bit of research, I decided to check for myself --

If memory serves, those are no better than 16G wires, about 8" total length between the two. I know that at full voltage it's tossing just shy of 22 volts; and given that everything I have read so far suggests the head of the lamp reaches a good 200 degrees F on the OUTSIDE, that gives me cause for concern. I let the lamp run for ten min split apart and checked for temp, and didn't feel any severe rise; but that was with the head apart from the body with weak batteries. After I recharge, I will bring my tester home tonight and check the system over myself. As it stands, this may be the weak point of the lamp.

A couple links I found for folks to read --

http://budgetlightforum.com/node/15582 - this fellow did a very nice writeup on the 9LED version of this light.

http://budgetlightforum.com/node/17209 - this is where I initially found the cause for concern.

In any event, if these lights give anyone trouble; I would start there at those wires. And, I will note, Ive not seen any issues with mine; but given the cost I got curious.

Sorry Den - not trying to cause issues, but I did think folks might be curious.
    No worries man. If there is a known problem with something, I'd rather know about it sooner than later. Mine did get pretty warm when I let it run full throttle here in the house, but I don't think it hit the kinds of temps they're talking about...then again, I don't have a thermometer to really know for sure. I've been using mine for work (the first one I ever brought in) and haven't had any problems......but I work outside and there's usually some kind of a breeze blowing, so the big heat sink can do it's job and get rid of the heat. If the thing fails on you, let me know and I'll take care of it.
    GOC moderator
    www.tundrasupply.ca

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by blacksmithden View Post
    No worries man. If there is a known problem with something, I'd rather know about it sooner than later. Mine did get pretty warm when I let it run full throttle here in the house, but I don't think it hit the kinds of temps they're talking about...then again, I don't have a thermometer to really know for sure. I've been using mine for work (the first one I ever brought in) and haven't had any problems......but I work outside and there's usually some kind of a breeze blowing, so the big heat sink can do it's job and get rid of the heat. If the thing fails on you, let me know and I'll take care of it.

Like i said = with it being net info, I take it with a grain or ten of salt; but given I am somewhat experienced with electrical on the automotive side; if this thing is drawing a constant 7 amps into a head that may reach near boiling; I am going to keep an eye on it. so far, no issues however.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345