Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckufarlie View Post
    Where do you welders recommend getting steel?

I've ordered from Metal Supermarkets in the past, but can't really figure out their pricing... ordering a 20" piece is 90% of the cost of a 72" piece. I'd rather just order a bunch of standard length steel and do my own cutting. When I just need a small piece I just go to Home Depot, Lowes, or Canadian Tire, but all those places tend to be a rip off for steel.

Find a local steel supplier. Plenty around the Mississauga region. Some don't deal with "retail" sales, but often will let you pick through a few pieces of scrap (same with fabrication shop). My last nine foot section of schedule 40 steel pipe cost me a 30 pack of Budweiser.
    And yet, after nearly 10 years of government by Stephen Harper and his anti-choice army, you can still get an abortion in Canada. At this point, the political rightís agenda is so well hidden Sherlock Holmes couldnít find it with a Huawei P30 powered by a trillion Watsons.

Quote Originally Posted by firemachine69 View Post
    Find a local steel supplier. Plenty around the Mississauga region. Some don't deal with "retail" sales, but often will let you pick through a few pieces of scrap (same with fabrication shop). My last nine foot section of schedule 40 steel pipe cost me a 30 pack of Budweiser.
    This. Find a fab shop that'll let you dig through their scrap bin, and leave a donation for their "coffee" fund.
    "It is an absolute truism that law-abiding, armed citizens pose no threat to other law-abiding citizens."

Ammo, camo and things that go "blammo".

Quote Originally Posted by chuckufarlie View Post
    Where do you welders recommend getting steel?

I've ordered from Metal Supermarkets in the past, but can't really figure out their pricing... ordering a 20" piece is 90% of the cost of a 72" piece. I'd rather just order a bunch of standard length steel and do my own cutting. When I just need a small piece I just go to Home Depot, Lowes, or Canadian Tire, but all those places tend to be a rip off for steel.
    Out West I like Russell Metals. It couldn't hurt to ask a local fab shop to let you dig through a scrap bin, but that's slowly changing. Both of the last shops I worked in wouldn't let someone off the street do that, mainly for liability reasons.
    I'd rather make a difference than a dollar.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123