Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Probably a bulk box of some kind. I used to buy Crossman BB’s in a lookalike milk container....

Loose bulk comes in an assortment of different containers (marketing and quantity). A cardboard box is the most common, but there’s plastic tubes, buckets with handles, metal ammo cans, etc...
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Quote Originally Posted by cooey67 View Post
    Thanks for the info on the 22 Magnum and 17HMR. I looked them up and they look like great configurations. I'm sure they were mentioned in my course, most likely in passing, I did get perfect score on the multiple choice test questions, just don't recall. I'm also glad I got the slower 710 fps Quiet-22's rather than the 835 fps version. I'm sure both are quiet, but just want to keep the noise down while I'm working on centering my sights and getting better acquainted with my rifle. Knocking off gophers at 200 yards is impressive.

There was this funny container of 22LR ammo in a box that looked like a cardboard milk container. It keeps coming to mind. I tried looking it up online but no hits. Anybody know what those are. Just curious.
    While playing with your sights, you can save a little time by “bore sighting” it:

1. ACTS/PROVE
    2. Remove the bolt (open bolt to rear, pull trigger back, pull bolt all the way out)
    3. From behind the gun, look down the barrel.
    4. View an object about 25 yards away.
    5. Clamp the gun still with the object centered in the barrel view.
    6. Adjust the sights so they also are perfectly lined up with the object.
    7. Tighten the sights and reinstall the bolt.
    8. All done.

Bore sighting is what’s referred to as “getting it on the paper”. You’ll still need to make minor adjustments, but when dealing with a new gun or new sights, it’s a quick way at home to get it “so your bullets will at least be hitting the paper” when you go to the range.
    “You never know what worse luck your bad luck has saved you from.” - Cormac McCarthy

3. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By Kodiakjack

cooey67 (05-24-2020), Stew (05-23-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by kennymo View Post
    Probably a bulk box of some kind. I used to buy Crossman BB’s in a lookalike milk container....

Loose bulk comes in an assortment of different containers (marketing and quantity). A cardboard box is the most common, but there’s plastic tubes, buckets with handles, metal ammo cans, etc...

A few in this style I see...

“You never know what worse luck your bad luck has saved you from.” - Cormac McCarthy

5. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By Kodiakjack

cooey67 (05-24-2020), Petamocto (05-23-2020), Stew (05-23-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiakjack View Post
    5. Clamp the gun still with the object centered in the barrel view.
    Thanks for introducing me to bore sighting. I quickly looked it up and see there's lots of folks that do it, and some variations on it... The thing that I've been contemplating is how to clamp my gun. I have is an outdoor work bench... I have lots of work shop clamps of various lengths. The image in my mind is crude - but is there a way folks rig up a clamp with basic tools. I don't have one of those rifle holding units. Thanks again.

I’ve done a few just using a cheap MTM plastic rifle rest. You can set the gun up on a pair of sandbags too. If you’re not clamped solid, just be sure to double check your bore alignment between adjustments.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Quote Originally Posted by cooey67 View Post
    Thanks for introducing me to bore sighting. I quickly looked it up and see there's lots of folks that do it, and some variations on it... The thing that I've been contemplating is how to clamp my gun. I have is an outdoor work bench... I have lots of work shop clamps of various lengths. The image in my mind is crude - but is there a way folks rig up a clamp with basic tools. I don't have one of those rifle holding units. Thanks again.
    Oh, don’t fuss too much. As long as your eye can easily go back and forth, bore to sights, it really doesn’t even need to be clamped. As long as it’s resting stably. Use some cheap spring clamps, tape it down with painter’s tape, or wedge it into your couch cushions. As long as you can verify that your sight picture matches your bore picture.

I have bore sighted a gun while holding it and resting the forend on a counter top.
    Pointed it at the taillight of the truck.
    Good enough to get on paper.
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

"It must be poor life that achieves freedom from fear" - Aldo Leopold

10. The Following User Liked This Post By lone-wolf

Stew (05-25-2020)

Excellent, thanks!

knew I had some longs, here's an example of short, long, and long rifle
    DSCN1165.jpg

As a new shooter, went to the gun store looking for "quiet" and was surprised there were LR. Common sense would tell you that quiet is less gun powder is smaller... I guess manufacturers have abandoned the short altogether...or close to it. Nice comparison, thanks.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast