Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    CCI still makes shorts, the one pictured was bought couple months back, longs are the hard ones to find. the shorts I have are CB shorts @ 710 fps, that long I believe is 770 fps although they make them in 535 fps as well. They use long rifle size mostly for magazine feed issues, most box magazines won't handle shorts

Quote Originally Posted by cooey67 View Post
    As a new shooter, went to the gun store looking for "quiet" and was surprised there were LR. Common sense would tell you that quiet is less gun powder is smaller... I guess manufacturers have abandoned the short altogether...or close to it. Nice comparison, thanks.
    Yeah, the CCI Quiets are a “CB Long” (CB is short for cap and ball, from the old parlor pistols that would fire a BB propelled by a percussion cap, but no powder)

You can get CBs in both long and short, but they have essentially the same performance. (The Longs don’t have any more powder than the Shorts). The reason the Longs exist is that they feed better in some guns (those with detachable mags in particular). Something like a lever 22 with a tube magazine will feed both types easily. But in something like a semi-auto Ruger 10/22, not only will neither have enough oomph to cycle the action, but the Longs can still at least be cycled manually, but the shorts just jam up in the action.

By the way, you can still get parlor pistols: https://marstar.ca/product/pedersoli...ished-white-2/
    “You never know what worse luck your bad luck has saved you from.” - Cormac McCarthy

CB = conical ball
    CCI quiets are long rifle
    the Aguila are primer only, 22lr pistol ammo
    the Pedersolis are .177 caliber

cb.jpg quiet.jpg AGU1B222337.jpg
    Last edited by Stew; 05-26-2020 at 11:07 PM.

4. The Following User Liked This Post By Stew

lone-wolf (05-27-2020)

420 fps is the slowest i've heard of. Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by cooey67 View Post
    420 fps is the slowest i've heard of. Interesting.
    If you’re going to try those in your cooey, maybe read up on squibs and how to remove them first.
    “You never know what worse luck your bad luck has saved you from.” - Cormac McCarthy

Thanks for the warning! I'll stick to 710 fps for now!

the Aguila is pistol only

Regarding your comment/s insofar as .17 HMR bullets being the unofficial king of rimfire - have you had any hands on experience with .17 HMR boat tails as opposed to other .17 ammunition ? If so, was the performance improved enough to make a difference or was it marginal ?

Thanks.
    One cannot and must not try to erase the past merely because it does not fit the present. History belongs to all of us - it is not ours to erase or modify, but for all of us to learn from !!

I have had the best success/accuracy with Federal Automatch .22 40 grain bulk ammo.
    It works well in every .22 I have tried it in and that is around eight rifles and one handgun.

11. The Following User Liked This Post By t_glover

Magi (07-11-2020)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234