Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Having trouble hitting a beer can still leaves a lot of questions.

Forget the ammunition. That only fixes small accuracy problems not big ones like this.

Is the old gun accurate or worn out? You'll need a paper target with a bullseye and bench rest shooting to find out. See if shots are arriving at a consistent place with everything fastened into a solid position. If it shoots good with benchrest, then you need to work on your shooting and practise it.

Are the sights useless for your eyes? If you normally wear bifocals then you probably can't see iron sights and target at the same time. For me with a V shaped rear sight, the front sight could float around anywhere within the V notch and I couldn't tell if it was centered, low or high within the V shape.

Is the sight picture for your sights not set up for center of bullseye? For some firearms the bullseye should be above the sight and
    the circle has it's bottom lined up with the iron sight.

Depending what you find, you can try cleaning the gun to get better consistency, you can try tru-glow or red dot optics rather than iron sights (no idea how easy it is for a Cooey) if you have older eyes like many of us, or you can maybe adjust the sights to address where the bullets are actually landing.

I'm thinking OP is relatively new to shooting, some proper training would likely fix most of their issues

3. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By Stew

lone-wolf (05-23-2020), Rory McCanuck (05-23-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by cooey67 View Post
    Gonna have to look up to see what "22 magnum" and "17 hmr" is. In the meantime I think what you guys have introduced me to is the semi-automatic option - gonna have to look into that. Still not sure what semi means exactly. Does it automate the bolt action, and what is the limit - 5 to 10 rounds, etc? Thank again.
    Do you even have a PAL or take the course? That should have been covered. Or, are you trolling?
    "Mr. Speaker, we really could replace Justin Trudeau with a cardboard cutout, and his peanut gallery wouldn't know the difference"

5. The Following User Liked This Post By GTW

Petamocto (05-23-2020)

Short, long and long rifle has to do with the length of the brass case. If your rifle has a LR chamber ti can accept any round that is shorter. A firearm with a short chamber cannot accept longer rounds. The vast majority of 22's will have a LR chamber.

Other than some specialty rounds there really isn't anything like "low velocity" ammo. 99% of ammo will be standard velocity (less than the speed of sound) or high velocity (higher than the speed of sound)

Standard velocity ammo should be in the 1000fps range with high velocity being around 1250fps.

7. The Following User Liked This Post By Suputin

cooey67 (05-23-2020)

CCI Quiet 22 is 710 fps and Quiet 22 Semi-Auto is 835 fps, most semi autos will require high velocity, bolt or lever will shoot pretty much anything except primer only pistol ammo

9. The Following User Liked This Post By Stew

cooey67 (05-23-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by labradort View Post
    Having trouble hitting a beer can still leaves a lot of questions.

Forget the ammunition. That only fixes small accuracy problems not big ones like this.

Is the old gun accurate or worn out? You'll need a paper target with a bullseye and bench rest shooting to find out. See if shots are arriving at a consistent place with everything fastened into a solid position. If it shoots good with benchrest, then you need to work on your shooting and practise it.

Are the sights useless for your eyes? If you normally wear bifocals then you probably can't see iron sights and target at the same time. For me with a V shaped rear sight, the front sight could float around anywhere within the V notch and I couldn't tell if it was centered, low or high within the V shape.

Is the sight picture for your sights not set up for center of bullseye? For some firearms the bullseye should be above the sight and
    the circle has it's bottom lined up with the iron sight.

Depending what you find, you can try cleaning the gun to get better consistency, you can try tru-glow or red dot optics rather than iron sights (no idea how easy it is for a Cooey) if you have older eyes like many of us, or you can maybe adjust the sights to address where the bullets are actually landing.
    Not hitting a beer can was "a side comment" to my inquiry about 22 calibre ammo. I had the sights dialled in previously and was hitting targets fairly accurately in the past but then moved the rear sight probably way too much and got it out of whack so I'm going to try to centre it next time I get out. The old gun has had very little use and i cleaned it. Thanks for the tips, though. Once I get the sights dialled in, I'm looking to mount a scope and get that working.

Quote Originally Posted by GTW View Post
    Do you even have a PAL or take the course? That should have been covered. Or, are you trolling?
    I agree, this seems sketchy.

However, if it's just odd and not malice, the answers are:

- 22 Magnum is a much longer cartridge. Same bullet types, but way more power means more velocity. Regular 22LR maxes out at 100m for most people because it's dropping so much, but 22 Mag can shoot past that.

- 17HMR is a smaller bullet (17 vs 22 cal), but it is way faster. It's kind of the unofficial king of rimfire in terms of usage and capability. It's far more per round than 22LR, but you're approaching centrefire performance for much less.
    I have no signature block.

Quote Originally Posted by Petamocto View Post
    Regular 22LR maxes out at 100m for most people because it's dropping so much, but 22 Mag can shoot past that. .
    Uhhhhh ..... 22LR is def capable out to 200yds and beyond. There is a new long range shooting discipline where people are taking the lowly 22LR out to 300-500yds.

I have killed a number of gophers at 200+ yds with my RF rifle. A gopher is about the size of a 600ml soda bottle. I can consistently head-shoot gophers at 80yds or so. A gopher's head is about the size of a looney coin.

30+ inches of drop at 200 yards is likely more than most people want to deal with on an old Cooey repeater with iron sights

Trajectory-chart.jpg

chart from here:
    https://www.mcarbo.com/store/pg/59-T...LR-22-WMR.aspx
    Last edited by Stew; 05-23-2020 at 03:06 PM.

Thanks for the info on the 22 Magnum and 17HMR. I looked them up and they look like great configurations. I'm sure they were mentioned in my course, most likely in passing, I did get perfect score on the multiple choice test questions, just don't recall. I'm also glad I got the slower 710 fps Quiet-22's rather than the 835 fps version. I'm sure both are quiet, but just want to keep the noise down while I'm working on centering my sights and getting better acquainted with my rifle. Knocking off gophers at 200 yards is impressive.

There was this funny container of 22LR ammo in a box that looked like a cardboard milk container. It keeps coming to mind. I tried looking it up online but no hits. Anybody know what those are. Just curious.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast