Review: Coretac Solutions Clamp-on Muzzle Brake

A couple of weeks ago I decided it was time to brake my hunting rifle, a Remington Sendero in 7mm Remington Magnum, for the purpose of off season target shooting (itís not that I canít handle the recoil, but after twenty or so rounds it does tend to get a tad old). But what route should I take? I looked into some of the options out there. Since I love the look of my rifle without a brake, I narrowed it down to a clamp-on type brake.

I already have a brake from Coretac Solutions on my Savage 110BA in .338 Lapua Magnum and I am very happy with its performance. I purchased that brake due to its smaller size compared to the factory brake and with the additional ports, cuts down on some of the heavier recoil produced by the 300 grain projectiles. This is how I arrived at Coretac Solutions, but I digressÖ

These brakes are made to order, so, after placing my order it took about three or four business days to machine, coat and ship my new brake. I had it about a week after it shipped.

First Impression

Upon receiving the brake, I must admit, I was pretty excited to install it. Once I got it out of the package, I looked it over for any burrs or debris, it was clean. I pulled out my digital callipers and checked the dimensions of the unit and compared them to the numbers I gave them. Bang on. I retrieved my Sendero from the safe and set it in the tipton gun vice and levelled the rifle. Slid the brake over the muzzle, it was a nice, snug fit. Set it at the stop, levelled the brake and torqued the studs to the specified 85 in-lbs. I then pulled the bolt to look down the tube to check for obstruction, clear. With the bolt still on the bench, I visually checked the alignment of the brake to the muzzle. The muzzle appears to be right where it needs to be.

To the Range!

I did some load development about a month ago with 180 grain Berger Hybrid OTM projectiles along with Retumbo powder. I decided to do another OCW test with the same loads that I did pre-brake. Duplicating every condition as carefully as possible, I then confirmed zero, printing 2.5 minutes low with no change in windage, adjusted my scope and printed 0.1 minutes high. Now to proceed with the OCW, I shot six strings of three rounds in 0.4 grain increments from 67.5 to 69.5 grains, the results were surprising. Originally, found a promising node in the 68.7 grain region. After running the OCW again, the node appeared to be within the same 68.7 grain area, though nearly all of the groups were tighter than the original test. This is promising as it does not appear to alter the harmonics of the barrel (so far); only the point of impact was changed (Keep in mind, this is a heavy contour barrel and changes in harmonics are less likely to occur than with a standard pencil barrel).

Comparison of felt recoil

I did a small comparison between the Sendero with the Coretac Solutions clamp-on brake and my Tikka T3 Varmint in 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser. I found that the braked Sendero pushing 168 grain Berger projectiles at an average velocity of 3075 fps was as comfortable to shoot as my T3 Varmint with 140 grain Sierraís at 2750 fps.

Conclusion

Five out of five stars. So far, I am very happy with this brake. Currently, Iíve put about fifty rounds down range and canít wait to send more! Itís a fine piece of kit. Fast and easy to install and remove, no appearance of altered precision, only point of impact (which was expected).Would I recommend this product to a friend? Yes. I will recommend this to anyone that wants to go this route. I believe itís only draw back is the price which comes in at $275CDN. That being said, as far as I know, itís one of the only clamp-on brakes that are manufactured in Canada and I chose to support them and keep some of my money north of the Border (not to mention their service is awesome).

Thanks for reading!

(I apologize, I didn't think about writing a review until after my range trip... The pictures above are after the fact...)

PS. Iím in the process of writing up reviews on Timney Triggers for Remington 700 and Savage 110 actions; so, look for those in the coming weeks!
    Libertarians: Diligently working to take over the world and leave you alone.

Also, Taxation is Theft.

WoW!
    Thatz sick. Got a vid of that brake in action? I looks like it would fit the build nicely for my cousins tikka feather light in 300wm.

I don't have a video of this brake, however, I will be out at the range again this weekend. I'll be sure to bring the camera out and get some footage for you.

SL
    Libertarians: Diligently working to take over the world and leave you alone.

Also, Taxation is Theft.