Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Grain View Post
    My 10/22 has opened up to 4-5" at 100 yards. The crown is getting really shot out. Will need to either work on that, or better yet find a heavy barrel, which hasn't been easy, for me at least, to find.
    Pics? Not that there's anything wrong with going to a custom barrel (I never even shot my stock one, it's sitting in the basement brand new), but you've shot out your .22 crown?
    CSSA CCFR

Quote Originally Posted by JustBen View Post
    Isn't it Dlask that makes a barrel that actually prefers cheap bulk ammo for accuracy?
    So far mine does, but I've only run one type of match ammo thru it (and a whack of cheap stuff) so that's hardly a fair sample. But the Lapua patterned worse than most of the bulk...it was weird.
    CSSA CCFR

Quote Originally Posted by HK45 View Post
    What barrel brand are you thinking about? A Green Mountain, perhaps?
    Heard good things about Green Mountain, but at this stage I'd take any heavy barrel that doesn't have a picky chamber. ie I want it to take any cheap ass ammo I feed it. I'll take reliability over accuracy for my 10/22.

The match ammo, is just better made with higher tolerances, and more consistency.

As far as the chamber is concerned, the tighter the better. The issue is getting a tight chamber that will run reliably. Dlask makes an Xtreme chamber which is a match chamber, and a Sporter which is not as tight. Using the Xtreme chamber some ammo does not run 100 percent, but I have had good luck with mine and several different bulk ammo, but CCI Standard Velocity works the best as far as cheap(non match) ammo goes.
    You may not like guns, and choose not to own one. That is your right. You may not believe in God. That is your choice. However, if someone breaks into your home, the first 2 things you are gonna do are 1) Call someone with a gun, and 2) Pray that they arrive quick enough to save you.

Something else to consider, if you want to play with cheap bulk ammo, is the Waltz or Paco die systems that uniform .22lr bullets. Over on Rimfire Central many people report good results, and shrinking groups using these kind of tools.

The Waltz system uses a press to do the job while the Paco uses just a hammer.

If you are shooting cheap bulk that comes in a big box you can easily see the difference between rounds as they are smashed together in that box all day. Dents in cases and mis-shaped bullets do make a difference.
    Last edited by mlehto; 01-30-2013 at 09:11 AM.
    You may not like guns, and choose not to own one. That is your right. You may not believe in God. That is your choice. However, if someone breaks into your home, the first 2 things you are gonna do are 1) Call someone with a gun, and 2) Pray that they arrive quick enough to save you.

Another tip which is cheap and simple is to weigh your rounds, and sort them into different batches.

I have had good results sorting the ammo by weight. Shooting groups with similar weighted rounds proved to shrink groups by eliminating any flyers. I use CCI Standard Velocity when I want to shoot groups, and it is very uniform, but there is still some difference between rounds. With bulk stuff the differences are surprising, and it really shows why those flyers happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Strewth View Post
    Pics? Not that there's anything wrong with going to a custom barrel (I never even shot my stock one, it's sitting in the basement brand new), but you've shot out your .22 crown?
    I guess to be more accurate would be no more (to very little) rifling in the last 1-2"ish of the barrel. Tried taking some pics, but my camera isn't capable of that kind of fine work. Had the rifle for about 25 years, so the barrel owes me nothing. The gun is an old friend though, won't part with it. Went from factory stock to a stainless Bulter Creek folder about 15 years, then to a Tapco trainer a year ago in prep of a heavy barrel. Must say I sort of prefer the BC stock...

Quote Originally Posted by Grain View Post
    I guess to be more accurate would be no more (to very little) rifling in the last 1-2"ish of the barrel. Tried taking some pics, but my camera isn't capable of that kind of fine work. Had the rifle for about 25 years, so the barrel owes me nothing. The gun is an old friend though, won't part with it. Went from factory stock to a stainless Bulter Creek folder about 15 years, then to a Tapco trainer a year ago in prep of a heavy barrel. Must say I sort of prefer the BC stock...
    If it's that bad, I'd imagine the throat and chamber are likely pretty eroded as well.

If you want I have an almost new(possibly 50 rounds fired) blued 10/22 barrel just sitting in my basement as well that I would send you free of charge. Just cover the shipping and she is yours. The rear sight is removed, but I have it kicking around somewhere for you to install when you get it.

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckingFastard View Post
    As long as she's MOG (minute of gopher) she's precision enough for me
    Minute of gopher can be attained through volume of lead as well.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by blacksmithden View Post
    Minute of gopher can be attained through volume of lead as well.
    I couldn't agree more. It's been a bad day if I don't leave a bricks worth of "brass in the grass", gotta love cheap .22 ammo.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast