Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    Quote Originally Posted by lone-wolf View Post
    You guys are talking 1000yrds and he wanted to set up targets at 5m, 15m

If it's close up stuff like that, your walking stride is 1m/1yrd/3ft
    A hundred steps is a 100yrds.

I might grab a cheapo range finder some day.
    Look buddy. We're men. Just because you only need something to measure 50 yards is NO reason not to buy something that will do 1000. Check the 'man-book'. Its in there.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    June 2013 - The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!
    May 1 2020 - Liberal un-democratic mass prohibition order in council. - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

2. The Following 5 Users Like This Post By blacksmithden

Camo tung (06-19-2020), Drache (06-19-2020), FlyingHigh (06-19-2020), Swingerguy (06-20-2020), wai556 (06-19-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by lone-wolf View Post
    You guys are talking 1000yrds and he wanted to set up targets at 5m, 15m

If it's close up stuff like that, your walking stride is 1m/1yrd/3ft
    A hundred steps is a 100yrds.

I might grab a cheapo range finder some day.
    I have an app for my phone, one of the few I have called "Auto Distance" great for 50 meters or less, usable further but you'd need steadier hands than mine

I have a Hilti laser tape, youíre probably not going to get the sort of distance you want out of it, even with a higher end model. Seeing the red dot at distance is an issue too, Iíve used mine at over 100ft, and itís nearly impossible to see in bright daylight.

I picked up a Sig rangefinder on sale last year, it replaced a Bushnell 1200 ARC. Better glass, better at picking up targets and quicker. Iím quite happy with it.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

5. The Following User Liked This Post By kennymo

Drache (06-19-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by kennymo View Post
    I have a Hilti laser tape, you’re probably not going to get the sort of distance you want out of it, even with a higher end model. Seeing the red dot at distance is an issue too, I’ve used mine at over 100ft, and it’s nearly impossible to see in bright daylight.

I picked up a Sig rangefinder on sale last year, it replaced a Bushnell 1200 ARC. Better glass, better at picking up targets and quicker. I’m quite happy with it.
    That is what I understand from reading up on "laser tape", it can be difficult to spot the laser red dot outdoor at a distance. The higher end model all have some sort of camera to help you aim. So they become more like a laser range finder anyway.

I wish I can pace like my Grandpa, he was a surveyor, trained by the British army in the old school way when they don't have all those laser stuff.

At the moment I am only looking for something to measure out to 100m, so maybe one of those cheapo Simmons range finder on Amazon will do the trick.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12