Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    109

    Laser range finder or laser measure ?

    I want to set up targets at various distance from the firing line at the range ( e.g. 5m, 15m ). Unfortunately, my range does not have any marking to indicate distance to the firing line, and using a tape measure is a big pain especially for the longer distance.

    I was thinking maybe a laser range finder or laser measure might do the trick, anyone got any advice ?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member Drache's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Dawson Creek, BC
    Posts
    8,158
    I did a LOT of research on this. I tried buying some of the cheap Bushnell range finders and although they work decent enough, at longer distances many times they wouldn't work at all. Spend the money and get something decent. For me, it was the Sig Sauer line. They were some of the most decently priced units that work VERY fast. They range long distances almost instantly. They also do live readings so if you range something like a car it will keep updating the range as the object moves.

  3. #3
    Untouchable FlyingHigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Grande Prairie, AB
    Posts
    4,838
    I have a cheapo Brunton range finder a friend gave me. It works fine on stationary targets out to a few hundred yards. I've ranged the 700m target at my gun club and it worked on the large gong but seemed to struggle on less reflective surfaces. I use it when I set up known distance targets on public land for zeroing and load testing as well as archery shooting.

    If you hunt, I would think about a better unit like the Sig line that Drache mentioned so you have better features and more reliable accuracy at longer ranges. That said, I'll be using my cheapo for hunting since I don't intend on shots beyond 200 yards.
    I'd rather make a difference than a dollar.

  4. #4
    The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    Posts
    16,805
    Quote Originally Posted by Drache View Post
    I did a LOT of research on this. I tried buying some of the cheap Bushnell range finders and although they work decent enough, at longer distances many times they wouldn't work at all. Spend the money and get something decent. For me, it was the Sig Sauer line. They were some of the most decently priced units that work VERY fast. They range long distances almost instantly. They also do live readings so if you range something like a car it will keep updating the range as the object moves.
    I boiled it down to the Sig Kilo 2000 I believe it is. It'll do the mile out at Edson in late afternoon/evening but not in broad daylight. I know it'll do steel gongs1000 yards even in bright sunshine every single time. As long as its not a dark matte surface, you're good to that anyway.
    Last edited by blacksmithden; 06-18-2020 at 02:25 PM.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    June 2013 - The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!
    May 1 2020 - Liberal un-democratic mass prohibition order in council. - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

  5. #5
    Senior Member Drache's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Dawson Creek, BC
    Posts
    8,158
    Quote Originally Posted by blacksmithden View Post
    I boiled it down to the Sig Kilo 2000 I believe it is. It'll do the mile out at Edson in late afternoon/evening but not in broad daylight. I know it'll do steel gongs1000 yards even in bright sunshine every single time. As long as its not a dark matte surface, you're good to that anyway.
    I think mine was the 1400 as I was only shooting 308, might be the 1600 I'll have to check. The one thing I liked is that the Sig brands will distance trees out past 1000. That is pretty impressive. And it does it almost instantly.

  6. #6
    Canadian ForcesMember 6MT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    2,895
    My Terrapin easily does the gongs at a mile at Edson. I tried to range a communications tower at over 5kms once with it. No joy. But, it's the best I've tried.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Camo tung's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    4,398
    How far out are you needing to measure, handgun or bow distances? I use a handheld room measuring laser from one of the home building places. Cheap, bright, accurate. 50 yards is a stretch on a bright day but otherwise for checking distances while getting back into bow range estimating it works fine.
    "It is an absolute truism that law-abiding, armed citizens pose no threat to other law-abiding citizens."

    Ammo, camo and things that go "blammo".

  8. The Following User Liked This Post By Camo tung

    Rory McCanuck (06-18-2020)

  9. #8
    The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    Posts
    16,805
    Quote Originally Posted by 6MT View Post
    My Terrapin easily does the gongs at a mile at Edson. I tried to range a communications tower at over 5kms once with it. No joy. But, it's the best I've tried.
    Theyre just a tad out of most people's price range....but if I won the lottery.....
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    June 2013 - The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!
    May 1 2020 - Liberal un-democratic mass prohibition order in council. - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

  10. #9
    Senior Member LB303's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    not far enough
    Posts
    5,455
    Nikon Arrow ID 3000 is in my kit. Good for bow or rifle. I think the spec is out to 600 yds but around here it's difficult to put that to the test. Being bereft of lottery winnings I just waited until a mid-priced unit came on sale and this was the result.

  11. #10
    Go Canucks Go! lone-wolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Isle Saint-Jean
    Posts
    15,502
    You guys are talking 1000yrds and he wanted to set up targets at 5m, 15m

    If it's close up stuff like that, your walking stride is 1m/1yrd/3ft
    A hundred steps is a 100yrds.

    I might grab a cheapo range finder some day.
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

    "It must be poor life that achieves freedom from fear" - Aldo Leopold

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •