Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CFE223 in 308

Quote Originally Posted by kennymo View Post
    I really like the versatility. A stash of Varget was like gold a few years ago when everyone was short on powder. I’ve been using it in everything from 22-250 to 35 Whelen with good results.
    That's why I have cfe223 on the shelf, I just couldn't get varget.

I'm reloading & testing for a hunting rifle in 25C+ weather and hunting in -5 to +10C temps, so varget seems like an easy choice.

I'm not an checking velocity though, so I'm just playing it safe-ish.
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

"It must be poor life that achieves freedom from fear" - Aldo Leopold

So the pressure signs I'm seeing are quite mild and in almost 30deg heat. I'm probably just going to stick with it cause it was stacking bullets... (and I'm not the greatest rifleman)
    Remember High River!

Had another go around with CFEE223. This time the load is just above the minimum published and still getting very high velocities and pressure signs (ejector smear) but at least now the cases drop out of the chamber without sticking.

Air temp was a bit higher than the first time and prob a bit hotter than we would normally shoot in but certainly nothing outrageous for an Alberta summer.

Interestingly CFE223 is louder (more intense) than Varget with the velocities within about 130fps.

Quote Originally Posted by Suputin View Post
    Had another go around with CFEE223. This time the load is just above the minimum published and still getting very high velocities and pressure signs (ejector smear) but at least now the cases drop out of the chamber without sticking.

Air temp was a bit higher than the first time and prob a bit hotter than we would normally shoot in but certainly nothing outrageous for an Alberta summer.

Interestingly CFE223 is louder (more intense) than Varget with the velocities within about 130fps.
    I had another go yesterday I needed to decide between 46.9 and 47.0gr but velocities were consistent with previous testing even though it was probably 4 or 5 deg cooler.

I'll have to pay attention to the sound a bit more when I shoot some next.
    Remember High River!

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Burke View Post
    I'll have to pay attention to the sound a bit more when I shoot some next.
    I am in a unique position to evaluate the sound of different loads. You may not notice any difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Suputin View Post
    I am in a unique position to evaluate the sound of different loads. You may not notice any difference.
    Fair enough. I'd be curious to see the data from a decibel meter.
    Remember High River!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12