.17 HMR Boat Tail Bullets

Two questions regarding these .17 HMR Boat Tail Bullets :

1) Has anyone on this site had any hands on experience with these and if so, are they appreciably improved insofar as accuracy ?
    2) Where can they be purchased in Canada. I checked Cabela's from Vancouver to Winnipeg and could not find any.

Thanks for any help you can afford me.
    One cannot and must not try to erase the past merely because it does not fit the present. History belongs to all of us - it is not ours to erase or modify, but for all of us to learn from !!

3. The Following User Liked This Post By Stew

barkerlakebob (07-30-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by barkerlakebob View Post
    Two questions regarding these .17 HMR Boat Tail Bullets :

1) Has anyone on this site had any hands on experience with these and if so, are they appreciably improved insofar as accuracy ?
    2) Where can they be purchased in Canada. I checked Cabela's from Vancouver to Winnipeg and could not find any.

Thanks for any help you can afford me.
    Boat tails are not intended to improve accuracy and in fact are demonstrably less accurate than a flat base projectile. That is why benchrest bullets are all flat based.

The point of a boat tail is to reduce drag and thus loss of velocity over longer ranges. Boat tails are a complete and utter waste of time in a short range cartridge like the 17HMR.

Stick to lightweight, flat base bullets in the 17HMR.

5. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By Suputin

Aniest (08-08-2020), barkerlakebob (07-31-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Suputin View Post
    Boat tails are not intended to improve accuracy and in fact are demonstrably less accurate than a flat base projectile. That is why benchrest bullets are all flat based.

The point of a boat tail is to reduce drag and thus loss of velocity over longer ranges. Boat tails are a complete and utter waste of time in a short range cartridge like the 17HMR.

Stick to lightweight, flat base bullets in the 17HMR.
    I tried everything I could get a hold of when I first got me CZ 455 17. I have never been a fan of Remington .22 rimfire ammo, but gave it a try. I also shot Winchester, Federal and CCI and in various weights. Winchester was the worst with a number of split case mouths, and 2" groups with one or two wild fliers out of each five shot group. Federal was OK. CCI and the Remington boat tail are tied for the best in my rifle. Groups are dime sized or smaller from a bench rest at 100 yards. I had a 6.5 x 55 and it shot HPBT better than flat base bullets; all homeloads; those loads would "grease" a ground hog into non existence!!! Should have never sold that rifle!!

I have a .17HMR rifle that will shoot almost identical groups with every brand out there: I went with the one brand and design that shot the cleanest with the same great accuracy as the rest. As Suputin said, boat tail doesn't mean much in the 17 rimfire.
    "So this is how liberty dies, with thunderous applause..."

Quote Originally Posted by MarkR View Post
    I had a 6.5 x 55 and it shot HPBT better than flat base bullets; all homeloads; those loads would "grease" a ground hog into non existence!!! Should have never sold that rifle!!
    6.5x55 is pretty big for gophers. I had a 243 I used on gophers a few times but it heats the barrel up way too fast.

My best gopher cartridge is a 6BR. Super accurate and blows gophers to bits with 70gr Ballistic Tips.

Quote Originally Posted by Suputin View Post
    6.5x55 is pretty big for gophers. I had a 243 I used on gophers a few times but it heats the barrel up way too fast.

My best gopher cartridge is a 6BR. Super accurate and blows gophers to bits with 70gr Ballistic Tips.
    Not a lot of Gophers here in Ontario; we do have Ground Hogs; they run from about 5-15 lbs. 243 runs higher pressure than the 6.5 x 55, so it does not heat up as quick. Also, having shot gophers in SK, I know how quick followup shots can happen (using a single six with .22 mag shot shells back in the day). Here you usually have some cool-down time between shots.