Cartridge to mimic .340 Weatherby.

Good evening,
    I'm brand new here. I've belonged to many other gun forums, and I've heard good things.
    I find the other "main" Canadian forum to be fairly elitist. Hoping that isn't the case here.
    Anyways, my question.
    I'm pulling out a Ruger #1 I had converted to.340 Weatherby many years ago. It's virtually new, and I want to finally put it to use. Hunting will be it's main task.
    I'm looking for another cartridge that will mimic the trajectory as close as possible, at least to 400-500 yards, but in a much smaller caliber. I want to get another #1 chambered for the smaller round to practice with.
    I was very sick 6 years ago, and I'm basically retraining myself in field shooting, adapting to my lessened abilities. Hence the rifle in a smaller practice caliber. Hoping to get really adept with it, then move to the .340. I would continue using the smaller version for high volume practice.
    I've searched every word combination I can think of on google, but don't come up with anything.
    Hoping someone can help. And yes, reloading is definitely possible.
    Thanks in advance,
    Ken

A quick search for ballistic charts reveals:
    40 gr BT in 204 Ruger zeroed at 200 gives 28" drop at 500
    225gr 340 Wby zeroed at 300 =27" at 500
    Close enough?
    Last edited by LB303; 08-18-2020 at 01:31 AM.

You might need a bit more info to get to what you are asking.

The 340wby usually shoots a 250 gr bullet with a horrible ballistic coefficient at high velocity, if I assume you are shooting this then you could go all the way down to a 223 if you get a close bc and muzzle velocity.

I personally wouldn’t worry too much about matching the ballistics to both rifles just get more trigger time and make yourself a dope chart cheat sheet that you laminate and tape to the gun.

I shoot too many different calibers to remember what does what, my 223 I currently have 4 different bullets and 4 different loads for 3 different rifles. I keep load data and dope charts for what I am using and learned how to use an MOA reticle.

Get your bullet ballistic coefficient and velocity and cross reference with a caliber of your choice would be a good start.

Thanks for the information so far.
    Maybe I'll reconsider finding a matching trajectory, and concentrate on lots of trigger time, as suggested.
    And yes, a 1" difference at 500 yards is close enough.����
    Ken

5. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By GummyMonster

Aniest (03-28-2021), Stew (08-18-2020)

I shoot a .338 RUM with a 225 grain accubond at about 3150 fps. It is a laser gun out to further than I care to shoot. My small caliber for fun is a .243. Slippery 75 or 80 grain bullets push the wind fairly well and 3100+ fps is quite easy. I tried 65 grain Vmax, but they are just to light for the caliber for serious long range fun.

7. The Following User Liked This Post By saskcop

Stew (02-24-2021)

Normally I would suggest going straight to the reloading route, but components availability might be tough right now.

The process to develop a tuned load for your rifle will provide a good excuse for trigger time, and normally the reduced cost of reloading provides opportunity to shoot more.

It's a bit of a lie to say reloading is cheaper, really; because the cost per round is reduced you shoot more, thus it costs more. It's a wonderfully terrible affliction to enjoy.
    "I don't have a firearms problem; they all work perfectly well." - Strike that. I do have a problem; the gov't has decided some are too dangerous to own.
    Membership: CCFR, SAFGC
    Govít couldnít make sense if you gave them a recipe.

9. The Following User Liked This Post By DanN

Stew (02-24-2021)

i use dare i say it a 6.5 creed and 6.5 prc .the creed ammo is getting pretty cheap now at 22 bucks a box as i dont handload , but once i go through 100 rounds and sell brass it gets much less expensive. someone always wants once fired creed brass