Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Canadian ForcesMember Thompson486's Avatar
    I’ve been using a set of MSA Sordins for the last 8 or so years.
    They’re great. Batteries last a long time in them, the sound cut out is excellent. I’m planning on upgrading to the gel ear cups eventually.

On occasion if I don’t have the Sordins, I’ll use Surefire EP7s.

2. The Following User Liked This Post By Thompson486

awndray (08-26-2020)

I use disposable foam ear plugs and then a cheap pair of over the ear muffs that I used to wear at the plywood mill years ago. Seems to work well for me.

The only thing is when I wear the above ear protection (I am at an old gravel pit alone usually) I tend to constantly look behind me as if someone was sneaking up on me. Maybe lack of hearing makes me some what paranoid.

4. The Following User Liked This Post By Northshore

Swampdonkey (08-25-2020)

Do your research guys. Foam plugs don't cut the mustard. The sound travel through the bone and does damage to your hearing.
    Ear muffs are the winner.
    Have you seen the new head phones that do bone conduction sound transfer.
    Actually the best are ones people will put on!!
    My muffs that go under my welding helmet are nice when shooting rifles. I have muffs that allow me to hear what others say and answer, but shut out loud sounds.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    There is no place in an anti's head where reason can enter. from a Napoleon saying with a tweak.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

Quote Originally Posted by Northshore View Post
    I use disposable foam ear plugs and then a cheap pair of over the ear muffs that I used to wear at the plywood mill years ago. Seems to work well for me.

The only thing is when I wear the above ear protection (I am at an old gravel pit alone usually) I tend to constantly look behind me as if someone was sneaking up on me. Maybe lack of hearing makes me some what paranoid.
    the 4 microphone Walker's I have will amplify background noise but have excellent response to shots, makes them next to useless indoors but outside are great, you can hear everything behind you

Howard Leight ear muffs mostly.

When I shoot braked guns or high volume (ie trap tournaments) I double up with a set of surefire ep7 sonic defenders.

8. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By JustBen

awndray (08-26-2020), Rory McCanuck (08-26-2020)

Oh, I also have a set of 3m worktunes which connect to my phone's bluetooth so I can listen to music or podcasts.
    Probably not good for shooting but they're great for loud yard work or woodworking.
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

"It must be poor life that achieves freedom from fear" - Aldo Leopold

i use both disposable and muffs since i got them from work. but my favorite [i have since lost] were some custom [silicone i think] ones, they were cheap too, like $30 on ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by tigrr View Post
    Do your research guys. Foam plugs don't cut the mustard. The sound travel through the bone and does damage to your hearing.
    Ear muffs are the winner.
    Have you seen the new head phones that do bone conduction sound transfer.
    Actually the best are ones people will put on!!
    My muffs that go under my welding helmet are nice when shooting rifles. I have muffs that allow me to hear what others say and answer, but shut out loud sounds.
    Which muffs will fit under a welding helmet?

Is it just me that finds it odd that electronic muffs cut out during gunshots? At worst, it will only come through as loud as the volume is set.
    "You can break the surgical procedure of removing an appendix down into about 30-35 individual steps – each of which is not overly complicated or beyond an enthusiastic amateur."

-Survival and Austere Medicine, 3rd ed.

cutting out is what they do, at worst it would be just like not wearing them or amplifying the shots

the mics should shut off completely for the shot, attack times are extremely fast, threshold is usually low and release times vary, my Caldwell set (indoor) has a longer hold than my Walker's, Caldwells cut the room reflections more with slower release, the Walker's have a very quick release, makes them ideal outside where little residual noise is present, they also amplify so you're aware of what's around, supposedly to stop a moose from sneaking up on you I guess, you can hear things in the woods quite well with them

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast