Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question.

I was told by an old trap shooter:
    You used to go to a tournament with a $200 gun and win $10,000.
    Now you go to a tournament with a $10,000 gun, and win $200
    Why does the rest of the country get first dibbs on half my income?

2. The Following User Liked This Post By Dewey Cox

CLW .45 (09-06-2020)

Where are you?
    Every province has a rifle association. I used to belong to two.
    Think $2000 to $5000 for a competition gun. Then add $2000 for a scope. Another $500 for accessories and reloading equipment. Spotting scope. Then buy components to tune a reload to your gun.
    The above was to set up for 1000 yards.
    My set up was a Savage 6.5-284 F-Class rifle, NightForce 5.5-22X56 NXS NP-R1 reticle. Konus 20-60X100 Konus zoom spotting scope. Redding dies. Lapua Brass and Lapua scenar bullets. I shot in F-open class.
    Lots of clubs have a visiters day.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    There is no place in an anti's head where reason can enter. from a Napoleon saying with a tweak.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

4. The Following User Liked This Post By tigrr

lone-wolf (09-06-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by lone-wolf View Post
    The last club match I was at, I think the winner got a challenge coin of some type, and everyone got to pick a prize from the table. Hats, shirts, etc. Donated or bought by the club. I got a Hornady hat.

Answer to #1, you might as well not even think about winning. I got in hoping to place better then last.
    Next shoot, better then what I did before.
    Ect. ect.
    You win by knowledge gained.
    I can't see myself forking out the kind of dollars that are required to be a true competitor, if I did enter my goal would be to hit paper ( i mean for the long ranges at least) and it sure would be nice not to be last either LMAO

Quote Originally Posted by tigrr View Post
    Where are you?
    Every province has a rifle association. I used to belong to two.
    Think $2000 to $5000 for a competition gun. Then add $2000 for a scope. Another $500 for accessories and reloading equipment. Spotting scope. Then buy components to tune a reload to your gun.
    The above was to set up for 1000 yards.
    My set up was a Savage 6.5-284 F-Class rifle, NightForce 5.5-22X56 NXS NP-R1 reticle. Konus 20-60X100 Konus zoom spotting scope. Redding dies. Lapua Brass and Lapua scenar bullets. I shot in F-open class.
    Lots of clubs have a visiters day.
    Our rifle assoc. has club rifles you can borrow as well, plus those guys will have used gear to buy or borrow
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

"It must be poor life that achieves freedom from fear" - Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by Justice View Post
    Everybody starts somewhere. And there's no such thing as a "natural" shot. There are usually, depending on the club, levels of competition based on one's skill level. A new guy will rarely be competing against a guy who's been shooting for years. Lot of that will depend on where you are. You do not have to be "good" to have fun shooting. Competitive shooting is more about you shooting against yourself anyway.
    Do not worry about how well you or your son shoots now. Most shooters will bend over backwards to help a new shooter. That includes letting the FNG shoot their firearms. Even if it's just to try it. In any case, competitive shooting is great fun and you'll meet some really terrific people.
    2) is mostly about what shooting game you're playing. At most clubs, you get bragging rights and not much, if anything, else. You might get a plaque to put on your wall.
    You are completely wrong about a "natural".

Actually there are people that can be considered a natural. I shot DCRA with one decades ago who is now 82 and still amazing at CF. He was a natural from the first time I saw him and it was easy to see he would just get better. Qualified early in his shooting career countless times for Bisley and won the Queen's more than once. He was a true natural from day one! He is in a Sports Hall of Fame.

He was very intelligent which helped and was very quick to absorb coaching and he needed very minimal.

I also hunted upland with a natural shotgun shooter who was a good friend of the Winchester rep in SK. This guy was amazing and won the Calcutta in Vegas the first and only time he entered. He showed up at the shoot wearing his work clothes (he really was a poor dirt farmer) and was "buught" by a guy who could spot a winner. I wrote about him before on GOC and Jack A. the Winchester rep told me the moment he saw Fred P. kick off his shoes he knew all the other shooter might was well go home. Everyone who knew him from a very young boy said he was a natural. IIRC he was shooting a Model 12, same gun he hunted with. His wife was amazing with a .410 pump.

I also am not so naive to think they are the only "naturals" in existence!

The club I belong to has a military shoot. You compete by classification and it is lots of fun and you get a certificate for 1st to 3rd.

PS

I also know a "natural" 9mm Glock shooter. AMAZING from day one. I have never witnessed anyone who could shoot that well with a Glock.
    Last edited by Lee Enfield; 09-07-2020 at 07:45 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12