Nikon Prostaff P3 6-18x40?

I'm looking for a budget yet still relatively decent high zoom scope for a 308 rifle.

Originally I was leaning towards a Vortex Diamondback 6-24x50, until I started reading all the negative reviews about vortex and needing that excellent warranty.

I've been happy with the Nikon Prostaff 3-7x32 I have on a 22, and have read lots of positives about Nikon which is why I am considering the Prostaff P3 6-18x40.

Another one I am considering is a Riton Optics 6-2450 X1 Conquer Riflescope -- I have never heard of Riton though.

If not this scope, what do you recommend?

The rifle currently wears a Bushnell Trophy XL 3-9x40, which is nothing special. I am not shooting very long range (I'm in Ontario, so not many places to stretch it out anyway, and my range only goes to 200). The reason I am looking for high zoom is simply to see my shots better without having to bring out the spotting scope.

I have a Nikon P5 2.5-10x on... well, since the bans it's on nothing, but it's always served me well and impressed me for the price.
    Seemed to be a cheaper version of the Monarch lineup, plastic caps instead of metal for instance.
    Liked it much more then the diamondback(2-7x) scope I had. Forgiving eyebox/eye relief that I've come to expect from Nikon.

If going vortex, I'd have a look at the Diamondback HP, which Kenny seems to like and spec wise seems very close to Nikon's Monarch lineup, which I also use & enjoyed.

Another option would be a Burris Fullfield E1(4.5-16 iirc), which seemed nice but I traded it away before testing it.
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

"It must be poor life that achieves freedom from fear" - Aldo Leopold

My nikon p-rimfire seems to have better glass than my vortex viper.

If you need to spot .308 hits at 200yds on the range, I think you'll be pretty happy with the prostaff in 18x.

No rifle scope will compare to a spotting scope, but it will be good enough for making corrections.
    "You can break the surgical procedure of removing an appendix down into about 30-35 individual steps each of which is not overly complicated or beyond an enthusiastic amateur."

-Survival and Austere Medicine, 3rd ed.

Every Nikon scope I have looked through has been a little bit brighter/clearer than the comparable Vortexx.
    I really like the one I have.
    Nikon has stopped building scopes however, they've jumped on the SJW bandwagon.
    So, what kind of warranty will they have in the future?
    Don't blame me, I didn't vote for that clown. Oct 20, '15

Quote Originally Posted by Rory McCanuck View Post
    Every Nikon scope I have looked through has been a little bit brighter/clearer than the comparable Vortexx.
    I really like the one I have.
    Nikon has stopped building scopes however, they've jumped on the SJW bandwagon.
    So, what kind of warranty will they have in the future?
    That is a good point about the warranty. I had forgotten that Nikon is getting out of scopes.

Ever heard of the Riton brand I mentioned? It seems they are an American brand with Japanese glass and have excellent reviews online, better than the Nikon scopes in many cases.