Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I bought a Bucket O' Bullets

I never thought I'd do this. I've heard the stories about it's iffy quality and dirtiness, so I've always passed it by. However...

I had to go down to Langley for my mom's 96th birthday, so as always, I stopped in at Cabela's in Abbotsford. They had almost no .22 at all, and only 3 "bulk" packs of Winchester 333 packs. Foolishly, I only bought 2 of them. Checked back on my way out of town- the last one was gone.

Went to Bass Pro in Tsawwassen, they had no .22 at all except for .22 shot shell.

Stopped in Canadian Tire in Chilliwack... all they had was the Remington Bucket O' Bullets, and taxes included, it came to $175.00 for a bulket of 1400 rounds, which works out to 12.5 cents per round, a truly awful price, BUT... a small voice inside said "you'd better buy these while you still can."

Totalled up my .22 supply, and I have just over 16 bricks worth. Not enough.

Going to Kamloops on Thursday, I'm hitting up the Canadian Tire for more Buckets, and/or the Powderkeg for more .22 bulk packs. They have some Wildcat.

I'm telling myself I haven't paid too much, I've just bought too soon... and the sad thing is, I'm probably right.

But I'm shooting more .22 than anything else these days, so I'm ok with these prices.
    "When government grows, freedom shrinks." - US Senate candidate for Alaska, Kelly Tshibaka.

Coerced vaccinations are slavery.

2. The Following User Liked This Post By stevebc

chuckufarlie (09-21-2021)

I just recently opened my last bulk pack of Winchester Wildcat, 500 I think or maybe 555, and the sticker was $17.27 from a LeBaron's, which closed down a few years ago. Back in those days I used to buy at least one bulk pack every time I stopped in at LeBaron's.

So... my supply is way way too low and I haven't seen any deals in a while.

On-the-other-hand I just got a Savage A17, and despite the ammo costing quadruple that of 22lr I think it's my new favourite rimfire... nothing quite like a semi-auto that can get moa or under at 100+ yards -- so now I find myself picking another box of 17hmr at every shop that carries ammo that I stop in

We know prices of all ammo is too high however I doubt it will get much cheaper in the long run.

IRC there are around 8 million new shooters in the US so it will be difficult for any manufacturer to catch up to the current demand.

You didn't pay too much, you just paid the current going price.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Enfield View Post
    We know prices of all ammo is too high however I doubt it will get much cheaper in the long run.

IRC there are around 8 million new shooters in the US so it will be difficult for any manufacturer to catch up to the current demand.

You didn't pay too much, you just paid the current going price.
    Fair enough... it's just that the last time I bought a case of .22... admittedly some years ago, it was 3 or 4 cents a round.

I was trying to wrap my head around 10 cents/round, and this was a bit of a shock.
    "When government grows, freedom shrinks." - US Senate candidate for Alaska, Kelly Tshibaka.

6. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By stevebc

Lee Enfield (09-22-2021), Swingerguy (09-21-2021)

The bucket of bullets are dirty and I found with my 10-22 Ruger it got dirty and started jamming
    after a few rounds but they worked well in all my bolt action .22 rifles.
    I'm glad I stocked up when I did.
    Last edited by t_glover; 09-24-2021 at 06:53 AM.

8. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By t_glover

Gunexpert007 (09-22-2021), Stew (09-24-2021), Waterloomike (09-22-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by t_glover View Post
    The bucket of bullets are dirty and I found with my 10-22 Ruger it got dirty and started jamming
    Good idea. I have a bolt action I could use them in if it turns out they cause me issues in my GSG16.

For a while they were outright terrible. The bullets were outright loose. I hear they fixed the equipment somewhat. For what they're charging for .22 now, it should all be olympic grade.

11. The Following User Liked This Post By Grimlock

M1917 Enfield (09-22-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by t_glover View Post

Gaaaawd...I almost feel compelled to send a care package your way. Almost.
    "It is an absolute truism that law-abiding, armed citizens pose no threat to other law-abiding citizens."

Ammo, camo and things that go "blammo".

13. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By Camo tung

GTW (09-22-2021), M1917 Enfield (09-22-2021)

I also found those Remington buckets of bullets .22LR ammo to be crappy and dirty with some even loosing their bullets while still in the bucket.
    Warning! some sarcasm, facetious and jovial behavior, satire, irony, dry humor, playful banter and more may or may not be involved in my postings. Please read anything I have written as being said in the most joyful and happy voice you can imagine.

To whom it may concern: I hereby declare I am not responsible for the debts incurred by one Justin Trudeau!

As noted in the "Post your latest purchase" thread, I bought 2 cases of Winchester Wildcat .22 today from Powderkeg in Kamloops.

$450/case, taxes in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast