Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    or.. inadvertently forgetting a patch in the breach which will allow the bolt to close empty but not allow a round to be chambered and will leave exact same marks on the shell, as I found out

"...unable to close the bolt on a live round..." Hand loads, factory or both? Handloads would be better as that's usually an easily fixed OAL thing. Factory indicates a possible really bad headspace issue. Both is also likely headspace.
    Is the rifle a non-factory rebuild? That'd probably make it a headspace thing that isn't easily fixed.
    Either way, start by checking the headspace. Pacific Tool and Gauge sells the gauges at $60US for a set. No border issues, last I heard. Add the W's pacifictoolandgauge.com
    You could go directly to Forster too. forsterproducts.com Also with added W's.
    You might be able to rent 'em from Reamer Rentals as well.

Seriously, a f***ing full-time job...

Handloads would be better as that's usually an easily fixed OAL thing.
    WTF does OAL have to do with it?
    The round is obviously going into the chamber cocked, the only problem length wouldcause is the bullet getting jammed into the lands.

Factory indicates a possible really bad headspace issue. Both is also likely headspace.
    Is the rifle a non-factory rebuild? That'd probably make it a headspace thing that isn't easily fixed.
    The 'R' in 7.62x54R designated 'Rimmed.'
    Rimmed cartridges headspace off the rim, not the shoulder.
    It is highly unlikely that the rim is too thick to allow the bolt to close.
    Not impossible, but pretty unlikely.
    Still, that would not cause the side of the case to get scraped up going into the chamber.

Either way, start by checking the headspace.
    Why would anyone need a gauge to see if a rimmed cartridge rifle is headspaced correctly?
    Measure the rim on one case, see if it chambers. If it does, headspace is good.

But please, keep giving us the insight from all your incredibly detailed firearm knowledge.
    Don't blame me, I didn't vote for that clown. Oct 20, '15

4. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By Rory McCanuck

Lee Enfield (09-14-2020), Suputin (09-14-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Justice View Post
    "...unable to close the bolt on a live round..." Hand loads, factory or both? Handloads would be better as that's usually an easily fixed OAL thing. Factory indicates a possible really bad headspace issue. Both is also likely headspace.
    Either way, start by checking the headspace. Pacific Tool and Gauge sells the gauges at $60US for a set. No border issues, last I heard. Add the W's pacifictoolandgauge.com
    You could go directly to Forster too. forsterproducts.com Also with added W's.
    You might be able to rent 'em from Reamer Rentals as well.
    IMHO your advice on reloading is probably dangerous and you might think about "sticking a sock in it"!!

6. The Following User Liked This Post By Lee Enfield

Rory McCanuck (09-15-2020)

Lots of people seem to have a general ignorance about what OAL and Headspace actually are and how those dimensions relate to the cartridge and the firearm. I hear OAL thrown out every single time someone asks about difficulty chambering a round. OAL has sweet FA to do with chambering a round except in the case of an extremely long OAL.

8. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By Suputin

Lee Enfield (09-14-2020), Rory McCanuck (09-15-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Suputin View Post
    Lots of people seem to have a general ignorance about what OAL and Headspace actually are and how those dimensions relate to the cartridge and the firearm. I hear OAL thrown out every single time someone asks about difficulty chambering a round. OAL has sweet FA to do with chambering a round except in the case of an extremely long OAL.
    BINGO.

I have some .223 that were reloaded for a specific rifle and OAL length is too long for any AR mag but perfect for that gun.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12