Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Strangeday View Post
    All they got was 800 people.....they just showed how little support the gun community has in Ottawa.
    I was there. It was closer to the 4 or 5000 estimate.
    The 800 number comes from a tweet by andrew Lawton a half hour before start time where a police officer estimated 4 to 700.
    In the half hour before the 1pm start people flowed to the hill from all directions.
    The first people to start walking were returning to the hill as the tail end was leaving the hill.

2. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By Yogi05

Doug_M (09-16-2020), Hidyn (09-16-2020), Neil Burke (09-16-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by awndray View Post
    Or, they showed how poorly organized, planned and executed this whole thing is. Sure the pandemic makes things challenging, but a Saturday afternoon?

My club alone has over 1,100 members if I recall. I think it's closer to 1,400, but don't quote me on that. And that's the CCFR's beloved Tracey Wilson's club as well, if I'm not mistaken. In a 100 km radius, I know of 8 shooting clubs. I don't know all of their member numbers, but that's a considerable number of shooters.

People didn't stay home because they're lazy. They didn't stay home because the preconceived notion that nobody in Ottawa cares. And they certainly didn't stay home because they're ashamed of being gun owners. Hell, they probably didn't even stay home. Many didn't show up for the march because many didn't even know about it. Some clubs didn't announce it to members before the week of the march. Many weren't there because they're not even aware of what's happening outside their bubble. Not everyone is as connected as we are. Many didn't attend because they understood that they wouldn't be seen and/or heard by their target audience. Many didn't march because they thought their money would go further by supporting the court challenges rather than spending it on fuel. And in many cases, especially for those who are out of town, people didn't go because they can't afford it at a time when many can barely afford to pay their electricity bill.

There are many reasons for the low turnout. And to those who continue to condescend others for not being there, you're not helping. In fact, I'd argue that you're part of the problem.
    Your club sent an email to all ~ 1700 members.
    Did you get/open it?

I did.

I know people from other clubs who had no idea what I was referring to when i brought it up.

I know gun owners who have no clue what's going on with gun laws in this country. I know some who don't even know that there are different classifications.

My point is, this thing wasn't what the FedUp rallies were, as far as I can tell. People can blame it on the pandemic, laziness or any other thing. I still believe gun owners are less aware and informes today than they were then.

5. The Following User Liked This Post By awndray

Doug_M (09-16-2020)

I did.

I know people from other clubs who had no idea what I was referring to when i brought it up.

I know gun owners who have no clue what's going on with gun laws in this country. I know some who don't even know that there are different classifications.

My point is, this thing wasn't what the FedUp rallies were, as far as I can tell. People can blame it on the pandemic, laziness or any other thing. I still believe gun owners are less aware and informes today than they were then.

It's hard to believe with all the social media and gun forums that anyone could be uninformed these days, but I know of many gun owners who get all of their info regarding firearm laws and petitions and the such from me. That's not good.
    Some people really don't want to know. That's bad.
    What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms."
    - Thomas Jefferson, letter to James Madison, December 20, 1787

7. The Following User Liked This Post By Swingerguy

Hidyn (09-16-2020)

I did.

Can't argue with you. I see the same things. Its discouraging at times.
    Re the fed up rallies. I was around, and a gun owner at the time but I didn't understand the significance.
    Some gave me opinions that they weren't as effective as they should have been.
    Journalism was very different then as well so might account for the higher coverage then.

9. The Following User Liked This Post By Yogi05

awndray (09-16-2020)

The FedUp rallies were when the government had a pot of water on the stove and was telling gun owners to jump in. Today we're the frogs in the pot and the heat has already been on for a long time and, despite the fact that the water is starting to boil, many haven't noticed.
    Liberate Hong Kong, revolution of our times [#uc# you CCP!]

11. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By Doug_M

awndray (09-16-2020), spider69 (09-16-2020), Waterloomike (09-16-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Swingerguy View Post
    It's hard to believe with all the social media and gun forums that anyone could be uninformed these days, but I know of many gun owners who get all of their info regarding firearm laws and petitions and the such from me. That's not good.
    As a famous man once said:

mark-twain.jpg

Allow our Rightful Liberty or .....

13. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By Waterloomike

spider69 (09-16-2020), Swingerguy (09-22-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Swingerguy View Post
    Is it hard to believe that not everyone is even online? I know people who don't have a smartphone or a computer.

15. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By awndray

CLW .45 (09-16-2020), Swingerguy (09-22-2020)

Is it hard to believe that not everyone is even online? I know people who don't have a smartphone or a computer.
    Exactly.

My club has about 350 members (highest numbers ever, used to be around 150-200 just a few years back). I'd guesstimate that half of them aren't on social media and 40% don't even do email.

Of the gun owners I know in my area but who aren't members of my local gun club, the level of ignorance on laws, regulations, changes over the past 30 years etc is astounding.

If the RCMP hasn't sent them a letter in clear and plain language then probably 80% of licensed gun owners simply aren't aware. They know the hunting regs though lol.
    Liberate Hong Kong, revolution of our times [#uc# you CCP!]

17. The Following User Liked This Post By Doug_M

Hidyn (09-16-2020)

From the boots on the ground level I would have guesstimated 1000 - 1500 ... accurate to +/- 25%.
    But I'm no professional pollster ... what do I know?
    I do know it was a far cry from the FedUp rallies especially since the situation facing gun owners is FAR more serious now than it was back then.
    NFA member
    NRA Life Member
    OFAH member

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast