Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Enfield View Post
    I always wonder about winter travel thru places like Rogers Pass or Kootenay Pass.
    Yep.
    Scandinavian countries seem to be doing ok with electric cars, so winter is doable, but may depend on short trips.

Electric batteries have electric heaters to keep them warm. That's more electricity.
    I wonder if any antarctic research station would dare to use electric over gas vehicles. Their vehicles sit parked for a lot of the time, in the cold.

Weight critical things like boats and bridges. I like being able to lift a ski-doo.

Your point about a long crash was interesting. Moving the car takes most of the energy, far more than heating it. So it should be similar to what happens now with gas vehicles. Running out of gas happens now, but CAA pickup trucks have a bunch of jerry cans and can get a stranded car moving in minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by RangeBob View Post
    Most (80%) will be at off peak times.

The remaining 20% or so will be whenever. So that's 20% of 11%, or an increase of 2.2%. The grid can take it, and can easily be expanded to meet that at the rate of electric car purchase.

As an example, if you live close enough to work that you can get there and back on a single charge, you can charge at night. If your daily commute drains more than 50% of the battery, then you have to charge at work, and that's during peak times.

Add to that human stupidity (we are not machines). We've all seen the memes where someone's getting a charge from a gas generator at the side of the road, already. The density of gas stations, and speed of refilling, will be hard to match with electricity. Filling a car gas tank is the effort of 2 minutes, charging a car battery is half an hour to 8 hours.
    That's time you can't be in your car. So, by way of example, taxi vehicles that are shared among three drivers in shifts, wouldn't work.
    The neighbor has hers plugged in almost all the time when not being driven. The lady that I work with puts her on the charge the minute she gets home and charges it all day at work on the charger our office provides.

In hot climates AC runs 24/7 so the usual off peak really isn't as off peak as people tend to think it is. I know the AC per household is much lower in the Lower Mainland compared to where I live.

If Cal. experiences brown outs during hot weather it is pretty obvious they can't get the power to where it is needed in a timely fashion as the grid is inadequate.

Talking to the retired BC Hydro guy is very interesting and 40 years of building the system means he probably knows far more than some guy sitting in a office generating stats/graphs that are somewhat meaningless compared to reality. Another issue is older homes may not have the proper capacity at the electric panel to properly support an EV charger.

Where I live there are two developments of town homes (95 units) with a "single line" hook up. He told me if the majority installed a high rate charger the system would fail.

I wonder if it would be cost effective to own a EV in NW Ontario? My daughter and family live there and their Hydro rate makes mine look like it's free. I just paid $134.02 for two months and they pay $200.00 twice a month on their Hydro 1 account and hope to have a surplus at the end of 12 months.

Interesting times.

3. The Following User Liked This Post By Lee Enfield

RangeBob (09-26-2020)

Of course this must be true it was on FB.

Seriously this makes total sense to me knowing the outrageous hydro rates in ON.

FROM FACE BOOK>

I have 1 friend in Toronto that drives a Tesla & installed 75 amp service to their home. It took months, cost thousands of dollars to install, hundreds of dollars monthly to draw enough power/month to keep it operational! Forget about a trip out of the city as there isnít enough chargers & you donít have enough time to sit idle for a recharge!
    They are unaffordable-from the sticker price to the maintenance costs.
    Donít even get me started about the slave labor required to produce the batteries or the harm to the environment to dispose of them.
    To anyone who purports to be environmentally friendly, these vehicles 🚗 in their current form are a disaster!

Of course this must be true it was on FB.

Seriously this makes total sense to me knowing the outrageous hydro rates in ON.

FROM FACE BOOK>

I have 1 friend in Toronto that drives a Tesla & installed 75 amp service to their home. It took months, cost thousands of dollars to install, hundreds of dollars monthly to draw enough power/month to keep it operational! Forget about a trip out of the city as there isn’t enough chargers & you don’t have enough time to sit idle for a recharge!
    They are unaffordable-from the sticker price to the maintenance costs.
    Don’t even get me started about the slave labor required to produce the batteries or the harm to the environment to dispose of them.
    To anyone who purports to be environmentally friendly, these vehicles �� in their current form are a disaster!
    Was this a dedicated service for the car? I'm guessing it was as most homes are minimum 100 amp service and higher.
    "It is an absolute truism that law-abiding, armed citizens pose no threat to other law-abiding citizens."

Ammo, camo and things that go "blammo".

Quote Originally Posted by Camo tung View Post
    Was this a dedicated service for the car? I'm guessing it was as most homes are minimum 100 amp service and higher.
    Probably, my neighbors is dedicated and NOT cheap to install.

Probably, my neighbors is dedicated and NOT cheap to install.
    The cars are CRAP!

Still want to see one of these solely electric vehicles go from Winnipeg to Brandon or Dauphin MB in -40 degree winter weather then if it actually makes it, where exactly the driver will plug it in to recharge, and how long it will take during a typical Prairie winter night in the same temps. Iíve seen diesel locomotives freeze up in a matter of hours and crack their water jackets after shutting down with a hot 12 cylinder diesel prime mover. Think Iím sticking with good old fashioned dinosaur juice, regardless of what Skippy wants to mandate here.
    "Mr. Speaker, we really could replace Justin Trudeau with a cardboard cutout, and his peanut gallery wouldn't know the difference"

9. The Following 6 Users Like This Post By GTW

barkerlakebob (09-29-2020), Camo tung (09-28-2020), Lee Enfield (09-28-2020), Relic49 (09-29-2020), Rory McCanuck (09-28-2020), SwissArmyMan (09-28-2020)

It might be time to start working on a wood gasifier to convert an old truck. Or start stockpiling old French fry oil to use in an old diesel truck.
    I won’t be forced into an ev easily. Lol
    "If I could time travel I would go back to 1971 and slip Pierre Trudeau a condom!" From: This hour has 22 minutes

What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms."
    - Thomas Jefferson, letter to James Madison, December 20, 1787

11. The Following User Liked This Post By Swingerguy

Macds (09-29-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Swingerguy View Post
    It might be time to start working on a wood gasifier to convert an old truck. Or start stockpiling old French fry oil to use in an old diesel truck.
    I won’t be forced into an ev easily. Lol
    There’s a few threads here on both methods. Both have issues besides time, but easily done. There is a VO conversion kit for Ford diesels out there now, and he might be onto other brands now. I know he left his development as open source, but his kit price was very reasonable last I looked.

You can use crops to make fuel and feed the leftover mash to the stock. For WVO, there is a simpler method that uses a bit of gasoline in the process to skip a few steps.

Straight vegetable oil is not a good fuel choice. Biodiesel is a good choice. I actually have a design for a stationary woodgas genset. I think the old ford inline six might make a good candidate for woodgas conversation.

I was raised around muscle cars and turbo diesel pickups. I love my leaf for what it is, a fantastic puddle jumper. In its specific role, no other vehicle comes close to it. I still prefer driving the Titan XD when the situation allows.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast