Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Well this is fun. I've managed to find drop in replacement motors, albeit under a different brand (but same design) and I'd still have to add the rollpin to the shaft. Even available in Canada. 100$ to my door and I'd be right back to where I was (rollpin notwithstanding). Or for a mere 55$ more, I can upgrade to DC with the goal of varying speed, reversing etc. No encoder though. Still drop in. Or I can go with something I'd need to make an adaptor mount for, a bushing on the shaft (fine cause the rollpin does the work anyways), but it's 96$, DC, has an encoder.

Oh the choices. At least, I can get the case feeder back up and running for far cheaper than a new one.
    Remember High River!

Can you post the info for these replacement motors?
    Member- NRA NFA CSSA CSC

Well, I printed some space claims to make sure I wouldn't have a nasty surprise when trying to install the motors. Good thing, my preferred cheaper option is inline and way too long. Would interfere with the drop tube without a mounting bracket or cover plate. So that's out. The expensive DC alternate space claim fit and while I'll have to bend the connection tabs over (existing motor already had that), I could even use the existing cover plate).

Quote Originally Posted by Reeferman View Post
    Can you post the info for these replacement motors?
    The replacement motors that I found aren't 100% identical specs, but close enough that they'd likely be fine once the roll pin was added. This is not Engineering advice though, user/operator proceeds at their own risk. AC: Dayton 52JE19; ~7RPM, 0.52A, 115VAC; I think this model number also has the same brake as the existing Hornady. DC: Dayton 1LNG6, ~4.5RPM, 0.6A, 12VDC. I think the factory Hornady is ~5RPM, 0.44A, 115VAC. Not sure on torque though.
    Last edited by Neil Burke; 09-28-2020 at 04:48 PM. Reason: VDC != VAC ><
    Remember High River!

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    You could always do a "Lab of Deadly Prototypes" upgrade. The only questions are 70 or 90cc and how will you plumb the 2 stroke exhaust outside ?
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    June 2013 - The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!
    May 1 2020 - Liberal un-democratic mass prohibition order in council. - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by blacksmithden View Post
    You could always do a "Lab of Deadly Prototypes" upgrade. The only questions are 70 or 90cc and how will you plumb the 2 stroke exhaust outside ?
    AC vent to the window would probably work.

But I've ordered a 9RPM DC motor. The 4.5 would work for drop in and wire to a 12VDC supply for 100% duty, but I figured if I'm going to add a micro controller anyways, I may as well give myself some variable speed option too. Not sure if I'm going to replicate this guy's counter or just wire it to the control panel that I'm still working on.
    Remember High River!

6. The Following User Liked This Post By Neil Burke

blacksmithden (09-28-2020)

Share pictures of the retrofit Neil.

Im curious to see how about its handled.

Quote Originally Posted by Macds View Post
    Share pictures of the retrofit Neil.

Im curious to see how about its handled.
    Might be a while. Motor is slated to arrive towards the end of next week and as Den can confirm I've been talking about doing a sensor package / control panel for a very long time. Upside of the motor dying is, there's a bit more of an urgency to the project now.
    Remember High River!

9. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By Neil Burke

blacksmithden (09-28-2020), Rory McCanuck (09-28-2020)

If you need a hand integrating the sensors to a basic control let me know.
    I have a feeling youll be ok though from your posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Macds View Post
    If you need a hand integrating the sensors to a basic control let me know.
    I have a feeling youll be ok though from your posts.
    Thanks. It's been more of a time and motivation thing. I made a lot of progress in the first three months of the year but Covid and the OIC put a break on my motivation. I need to tune the PBF sensor code so it doesn't read more than one bullet entering the tube then remake the exit sensor. I tried embedding the circuitry in a 3D printed enclosure with no pcb. Ended up with 1 loose connection ><. That and I switched to loading 308 so no need for the PBF atm.
    Remember High River!

Well, I've got the new motor, I think I need longer mounting screws and still need to put the rollpin in, but I've tested a proof of concept with respect to the electronics. Ordered the stuff I intend to embed so I'm not using work's parts but of course I realize I forgot a sub 10$ might be needed part just after the order shipped. (I think it's the one time I'm annoyed with quick order fulfillment. <1 hr is kinda ridiculous.) Who knows, I might have this up and running finally beginning of November. Even if it's not fully intelligent right off the bat, I'm going to love having a reverse button to clear jams.

I'll actually take photos and post a new thread on the conversion when it's done.
    Remember High River!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123