Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by blacksmithden View Post
    Lately, the price of Ruger stuff has gone up substantially. I hope they dont price Marlin out of the market. Chiappa will hand them their butts if they do
    I don't have a heck of a lot of confidence in knock-off companies like Chiappa.
    You'll make better progress if you get out of your own way.

Quote Originally Posted by Rory McCanuck View Post
    Well no, there's nothing wrong with the design, and the growing pains were entirely due to a new, untrained workforce trying to work with machinery that was over 100 years old, trying to build stuff that often there were no drawings for, or changes that had never been marked down.
    The newbies had absolutely no idea how to compensate for the wear of the machines, or the fact that some of the parts had changes sizes since the original drawings were made.
    Then there was the simple IDGAF attitude, especially in the Quality Assurance dept. sending out guns where the barrels visibly drooped, sights weren't indexed to the top of the barrel, barrels being only partially rifled, stuff like that.
    There's a reason those stories are hanging around like a wet stinky fart, Marlin sent out a whole mess of rifles that were junk, and a bunch of them were out and out dangerous.

Because the 45-70 is so big, the chamber has to be cut out enough that the barrel is pretty thin.
    Because it is so thin, the chamber really needs the support of the receiver.
    When the receiver isn't drilled and tapped straight, it leaves thin spots, even in some cases holes.
    There were a bunch of them that blew up in people's faces.
    That stuff shouldn't be forgotten.

Now yes, then guns in the last couple years have been much, much better, once all of the machinery was replaced with new stuff that the new 'machinists' understood how to use.
    I've checked a few of them out, and they seem to be decent quality, and I wouldn't have hesitated to buy them.
    However, the quality of the fit and finish is nowhere near that of the old Marlins, but then that kind of care is a thing of the past.
    Exactly how I feel about Mossberg and their "NightTrain".
    Maverick member

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    Quote Originally Posted by spider69 View Post
    I don't have a heck of a lot of confidence in knock-off companies like Chiappa.
    We've had nothing but good reports from our customers about their stuff. I have to admit that the only thing of theirs that I personally own is a Lil' Badger in 22lr. For what it is and the price, the thing is well made, and it's STUPIDLY accurate. Really cant say anything bad about them. Maybe others will chime in.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    June 2013 - The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!
    May 1 2020 - Liberal un-democratic mass prohibition order in council. - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by blacksmithden View Post
    We've had nothing but good reports from our customers about their stuff. I have to admit that the only thing of theirs that I personally own is a Lil' Badger in 22lr. For what it is and the price, the thing is well made, and it's STUPIDLY accurate. Really cant say anything bad about them. Maybe others will chime in.
    I’ve got a double badger in .22WMR/.410. For what I paid, few complaints. Wood could’ve been fitted a hair better.

IIRC they produced a bad run of lever actions at one point and tried to deny some of the issues. QC has supposedly improved a lot on those. I’ve seen some of their other product, I’d say it’s close to on par with recent Marlin stuff.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Maybe once Ruger sees how well lever actions sell they'll decide to start making the 96 again
    Don't blame me, I didn't vote for that clown. Oct 20, '15

6. The Following 4 Users Like This Post By Rory McCanuck

ESnel (09-28-2020), kennymo (09-28-2020), spider69 (09-29-2020), Swampdonkey (10-01-2020)

Like the pre-64 Win 94s production costs would preclude Ruger making 96s the quality of the old ones without exponentially increasing the MSRP.
    There are 2 directions a company can go in ... throw QC out the window and enter the junk gun market like Marlin or make ultra high priced but quality firearms like Miroku of Japan. Glad I still have my Ruger 96/44 & matching 96/22.

After Trudeau grabs all the semis & pumps levers will probably be next.
    Last edited by Gunrunner; 09-28-2020 at 03:23 PM.
    NFA member
    NRA Life Member
    OFAH member

From the Ruger Website:

September 30, 2020

Sturm, Ruger and Company, Inc. (NYSE: RGR) announced today that its offer to purchase substantially all of the Marlin Firearms assets was accepted by Remington Outdoor Company, Inc. and approved by the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of Alabama. The Company will pay the $30 million purchase price from cash on hand at the time of closing, which is expected to occur in October.

"The value of Marlin and its 150-year legacy was too great of an opportunity for us to pass up," said Ruger President and CEO Chris Killoy. "The brand aligns perfectly with ours and the Marlin product portfolio will help us widen our already diverse product offerings."

The transaction is exclusively for the Marlin Firearms assets. Remington firearms, ammunition, other Remington Outdoor brands, and all facilities and real estate are excluded from the Ruger purchase. Once the purchase is completed, the Company will begin the process of relocating the Marlin Firearms assets to existing Ruger manufacturing facilities.

"The important thing for consumers, retailers and distributors to know at this point in time," continued Killoy, "is that the Marlin brand and its great products will live on. Long Live the Lever Gun."
    "Mr. Speaker, we really could replace Justin Trudeau with a cardboard cutout, and his peanut gallery wouldn't know the difference"

9. The Following 10 Users Like This Post By GTW

blacksmithden (10-01-2020), Camo tung (10-01-2020), chrisc (10-01-2020), lone-wolf (10-01-2020), Macds (10-01-2020), Magi (10-01-2020), Northshore (10-02-2020), spider69 (10-01-2020), Swampdonkey (10-01-2020), Tonsper (10-01-2020)

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    So they bought the rights and tooling. Here's praying they hold onto as many of the skilled, hands on staff as possible. You cant teach a lot of the required skills in a few days. As far as any penny pinching accountants go...fire them all. Cheap and quality rarely work well together.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    June 2013 - The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!
    May 1 2020 - Liberal un-democratic mass prohibition order in council. - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

11. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By blacksmithden

Magi (10-01-2020), Northshore (10-02-2020), spider69 (10-01-2020)

So I heard the Remington 783 was a Marlin design derivative.
    What's to come of that?

Time will tell.
    Why does the rest of the country get first dibbs on half my income?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast