Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Marlin Dark 45-70

Am looking at this one, I like the style and the short barrel ... but am concerned about quality.

The Cabela's reviews, few only, seem to suggest Remlin issues.

My own Remlin experience has been mixed, but I'd rather avoid CAD1,250 post tax for something that has to go straight into warranty.

Alternative would be to go with a Henry in the same caliber.

2. The Following User Liked This Post By FraserValley

elliott264 (09-28-2020)

Check the gun good before leaving the store.
    My LGS lets me do that.
    No way I lay my money down for an unchecked Remlin.
    Better get one fast ... the company is in financial receivership and the factory doors could close soon.
    Better off with a pre-Remington Marlin in good condition if you can find one ... they're expensive.
    Sometimes the defects in the Remlins are just cosmetic ... lack of proper fitting and finishing.
    If you are handy with tools you can fix them up.
    I've bought Remlins that were salvageable, fixed them up and sold them for almost twice what I bought them for.
    NFA member
    NRA Life Member
    OFAH member

Buddy of mine bought one and it works as it should. Fit and finish is good. Handy little blaster too. Nicknamed it "Thumper". He loves his and has no regrets except maybe the cost of feeding the pig!

I bought a remlin 1895 from my LGS a few years back when they were having quality problems.
    I was able to inspect it before I bought it that way. It was a nicely finished rifle and functioned flawlessly.
    I probably got lucky. I sold it after I had to have my retinas laser welded back on.

I call my 45/70 hammer of thor.
    Eyeball the gun before you buy it. You can tell by looking at fit and finish. Just don't take a bore scope to buy a gun. You will never buy another gun if you bore scope it first.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    There is no place in an anti's head where reason can enter. from a Napoleon saying with a tweak.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because thatís the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

Quote Originally Posted by tigrr View Post
    You will never buy another gun if you bore scope it first.
    Yeah, especially if it is a Cosmolined SKS ...

I'll go along with the rest of the class and say go ahead and get one if you can examine it first.
    Big bore leverguns sure are a lot of fun, you'll love it.
    Don't blame me, I didn't vote for that clown. Oct 20, '15

Well, Remington filed for Chapter 11 protection(that's "please leave us alone while we're trying to reorganize our bankruptcy.") in 2018.
    "...the short barrel..." Give you a great, big, fire ball, depending on the powder used and less velocity. They use a 1 in 20 twist in their M1895 Trapper. Very likely the same in the Dark.
    Note that Hodgdon's tests were with a 24" barrel. You won't get close to that.
    Mind you, nothing you shoot with it will notice or care about any of that.

Quote Originally Posted by tigrr View Post
    I call my 45/70 hammer of thor.
    Eyeball the gun before you buy it. You can tell by looking at fit and finish. Just don't take a bore scope to buy a gun. You will never buy another gun if you bore scope it first.
    ... Remington retooled the new Ilion, NY factory with CNC computer guided technology and generally the machining is very good.
    You still have to watch for guns with canted, misaligned barrels but generally the fit and finish is where they skimp to cut costs and production time.
    Fit and finish is easy to fix.
    I'm pretty good with wood working tools as well as tools in general and can generally fix bad stock fitting ... only once did I have to send to Boyds for a new stock because the factory stock was split.
    The initial pre purchase inspection on the LGS floor before buying is absolutely necessary with Remlins.
    I have both pre and post Remington Marlins and after the fixing I can't tell the difference.
    NFA member
    NRA Life Member
    OFAH member

I just got a Marlin 45-70 but mines the Jurassic World model. Cost me under a 100 bucks to get it here so was pleased. I dont't know if I will ever fire it as it was on my bucket list of guns wanted. Seems okay to me just working the action.

12. The Following User Liked This Post By Kenwp

Rory McCanuck (09-30-2020)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast