Magnum vs Magnum

Looking for some expert advice on calibres. I'm shopping around for a new hunting rifle for next season. My preference is something in the magnums (.300 Win Mag or .300 WSM), as I will be using if for everything except grouse. Needs to be a semi. Can anyone tell me the practical differences between the Win Mag and the WSM? Cost differences? Currently looking at the Browning Shorttrac vs Longttrac. I'm open to listening to any and all suggestions, but please give explanations with them, not just “well that’s what I use because it’s the best thing period”.
    Happiness is a Warm Gun

I don't have any manuals in froint of me, but I'm reasonably certain there isn't much difference between the two, performance wise.

WSM is shorter and fatter. You can have it in a shorter action, meaning a lighter rifle.
    You'll end up with one less in the magazine, because they are so fat.
    I've read about feeding problem, because the shoulders look like an 80s tv star.

I've seen 300 Win mag ammo for sale in just about every Can. Tire or Wal-Mart, don't think I've seen the whizzums there.

I've only handled the older, steel, long action Browning. Heavy, but that helps soak up recoil
    Aluminum receiver and a plastic stock on the newer ones should reduce the weight a whole bunch.
    That's really a case where I'd want to handle the two actions side by side to see the difference in weight and handling.
    The shorter one may not be that much nicer to warrant the drawbacks.

Thanks for the feedback Rory, I still have plenty of research to do before I pull the trigger as it were.
    Happiness is a Warm Gun

Between the two magnums you've brought up, there is very little appreciable difference. The 300 WM and 300 WSM are close enough when it comes to ballistics and hitting power that I'd say they're interchangeable. The difference comes in that one fits in a short action and the other one requires a long action. Another difference is availability of the ammo, but I've been seeing more and more 300 WSM popping up at places like Canadian Tire and Walmart. Premium ammo is going to be a wash, but I'd expect the 300 WM has the edge on the "budget" ammo.

If you don't absolutely need a magnum, I'd also take a look at the .30-06. It will do pretty much the same thing as both the other .30 cal magnums, but it won't punish your shoulder as bad. As you're set on a semi-auto, this won't be as bad anyways.

Some people say that magnums are overkill on a lot of things. I agree, BUT, if you handload your own ammo, you can adjust for this. I have a few difference recipes for my .300 Weatherby Mag, which gives me far more flexibility as I can load up or down depending on the hunt I'm going on. I've never had an animal take more than 3 steps with the weatherby - something that I can't say about animals that I've shot with lighter calibers.

If it were ME looking at a new rifle and it had to be a semi, I'd probably go with a Benelli in .300 win mag, but there's nothing wrong with the Browning either. Both have good quality and its a "chev vs ford" type of arguement.

Thanks Ben, I appreciate the input. I'm leaning more and more to the Win Mag, for a number of reasons. That Benelli R1 is one sweet looking semi, I'll be looking to get my hands on one in the near future, doesn't look much pricier than the Browning anyhow. As for the magnums being overkill, I know that and agree that you can fine tune your loads to do the job you need done. I grew up with a .308 Norma Magnum, and I miss that gun something awful. I'll be looking for one of those to keep in the safe as a keepsake, but that's a different issue for a different day.
    Happiness is a Warm Gun