Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    To remove the BCG/CH group from the upper receiver one must:

a) remove the entire stock assembly (this includes the buffer and spring assembly)
    My first reaction is that this would mean the thing wouldn't get cleaned very often .... which isn't good.

b) then remove the bolt side charging handle

c) the slide out the BCG assembly.

A more detailed look can be had here MRA Owners & Assembly Manual (Click the link if you would like to see the manual)

I will agree it is not the most efficient set up, however as this is a manual action and there is NO direct impingement of Blow back gases in action area (with the bolt remaining closed until manually actuated) The combustion and its associated residues should be kept contained to the chamber keeping the action much cleaner and clear for a longer period of use.
    THIS is a good point, which my first reaction kinda forgot about.

However the purpose for my build is to shoot mainly super sonic ammunition with powders like CFE-Black and H-110 under lighter projectiles (110 - 150 grains) out to medium distances. The research I have done on the powders I plan to use is that in 16" of barrel the majority of the powder charge is consumed giving optimal performance. Further research has shown anything longer than 16 inches is actually detrimental to ballistic performance
    Keep in mind most of the load data on the internets is designed to function an AR gas operated semi-auto and the powder burn rate and charge are critical to that function with accuracy and velocity being secondary to getting the action to cycle. You'd be better off looking primarily at load data for bolt actions.

If you are not aware of it, there is a website devoted to the BLK called 300 Blk Talk (http://www.300blktalk.com) run by Robert Silvers. Not my favourite person in the world but he is a pretty smart guy. Regardless, there is loads of good info on that site.

With respect to the whole sound suppressors thing, subsonic ammo is still fun to shoot unsuppressed as it is much less noisy. Big heavy bullets over 6gr of Trailboss is pretty freakin quiet regardless of wether it is suppressed or not. In a longer barrel, subsonics with a large volume muzzle device like the SPEX brake or Flaming Pig start to approach hearing safe sound levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Suputin
    Keep in mind most of the load data on the internets is designed to function an AR gas operated semi-auto and the powder burn rate and charge are critical to that function with accuracy and velocity being secondary to getting the action to cycle. You'd be better off looking primarily at load data for bolt actions......................
    THIS is a very good point. I started going though my scanned reload data, checking what Firearm was used to test the reload data, and I am embarrassed to admit that at least 75% of what I have is for the AR-15 platform.

I do have some Sierra data for the 300 Whisper, and that firearm was a 10" TC contender. I will have to print that out and give it a closer look as well as search for bolt-gun specific reload data!!

Quote Originally Posted by Suputin
    With respect to the whole sound suppressors thing, subsonic ammo is still fun to shoot unsuppressed as it is much less noisy. Big heavy bullets over 6gr of Trailboss is pretty freakin quiet regardless of wether it is suppressed or not.

In a longer barrel, subsonics with a large volume muzzle device like the SPEX brake or Flaming Pig start to approach hearing safe sound levels.

This really intrigues me!! In all seriousness could you please define or quantify - Longer barrel, heavier projectiles.

I am familiar with both style of muzzle treatments and actually have access to a Spex in 223 (I appreciate is not applicable to 300 Black). My biggest concern with a 16" barrel was that sub-sonics would not exit the muzzle.

However if such a muzzle treatment would help with gas retention and make the pressure sufficient for safe use (avoiding bullet stacking in the barrel) I am more than happy to give this a try.

Thanks for your input and I look forward to your response.

regards

AbH

Quote Originally Posted by AbHobbyist View Post
    This really intrigues me!! In all seriousness could you please define or quantify - Longer barrel, heavier projectiles.
    Biggest I used were 208 AMAX. Loads were prob about 10gr of W296 to cycle my 10" AR. Outdoors with the modified SPEX brake the rifle was not painful to shoot. With a bolt gun you are not limited to medium rate powders required to cycle the action. A load using Trailboss would work fine and be much quieter. I have some trail boss load data for my 12" bolt gun.

I am familiar with both style of muzzle treatments and actually have access to a Spex in 223 (I appreciate is not applicable to 300 Black). My biggest concern with a 16" barrel was that sub-sonics would not exit the muzzle.

However if such a muzzle treatment would help with gas retention and make the pressure sufficient for safe use (avoiding bullet stacking in the barrel) I am more than happy to give this a try.

Thanks for your input and I look forward to your response.

regards

AbH
    I have one of the original SPEX development units that did not get the flats milled into the mount, so there was enough room to bore it out to fit the large diameter thread on my rifles. It may be possible to modify a production SPEX to fit 5/8-24 thread. You'd need to measure the OD of the wrench flats and do a bit of calculations to determine remaining wall thickness from the larger thread. Enlarging the bore of the SPEX is the easy part. Just run. drill down it and shake out the swarf.

Subsonics should be fine in a 16" bbl. Just don't let it get really dirty. I only ever stuck bullets in barrels 20" and longer.

Installment #1 - has been updated with additional info and pictures

Installment #2 - has been added

Installment #3 - Reloading and Load development is currently pending

regards

AbH

5. The Following User Liked This Post By AbHobbyist

Swingerguy (10-19-2020)

The finished rifle looks fantastic. Thanks for posting the article, it's very informative.
    "If I could time travel I would go back to 1971 and slip Pierre Trudeau a condom!" From: This hour has 22 minutes

What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms."
    - Thomas Jefferson, letter to James Madison, December 20, 1787

Iy6jKgH.jpg

Whats with the slot in the right side of the upper receiver? Can the operating handle be mounted on either side of the rifle?

I bet this pic would make anti's wet their panties ...... and its totally non-restricted and unaffected by the idjit semi-auto bans.

Yeah the charging handle can be put on either side on the Renegade, thay are also developing different charging handle styles, such as those used in Britain(pic below), and have stated they went with this style simply to get the product to market faster.
    83571FB2-4620-44F6-BFEF-67B473A9DB1A.gif
    in pace, ut sapiens, aptarit idonea bello
    - In peace, like a wise man, he appropriately prepares for war

The straight pull spring assisted action is gonna drive the antis NUTS.

10. The Following User Liked This Post By Suputin

stewbud (10-20-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Suputin View Post
    Iy6jKgH.jpg

Whats with the slot in the right side of the upper receiver? Can the operating handle be mounted on either side of the rifle?.................
    Suputin

My Apologies for the delayed response, its been a busy time for me.

As Haywire1 answered, and as you supposed, yes that "slot" is for use of the bolt handle on either side of the rifle.

As previously mentioned, this is another "que" so to speak that this rifle takes from the JR Carbine in that the charging handle can be mounted on either side of the BCG assembly.

I set mine up that way as I shoot left handed and want to cycle the action with my control of trigger hand.

However I haver heard of some users requesting an additional charging handle so that they can have one on either side and change the hand the cycles the action on the "Fly"

I think think these rifles offer great flexibility and a usefulness of short barrel that we have not seen before. It is my understanding that with the correct muzzle treatment properly applied, one can comply with 660mm overall length with ease, giving new life to 10.5" barrels. (Please remember that over all length is measured differently than barrel length - or at least that is my understanding)

To be honest I am seriously looking forward to the "Maverick" the large framed version of the Renegade. It will offer a usefulness and new purpose to the 16" 308 barrels I have in the bin gathering dust (as long as I can find the Armalite Bolts to match)

As for my Renegade in 300 blackout, I am looking forward to getting to the reloading bench and working on load development.

Thanks for the comments and please keep them coming

regards

AbH
    Last edited by AbHobbyist; Today at 10:03 AM. Reason: Additional info added

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12