Thread: Kel Tec RDB

Kel Tec RDB

Anyone got one?

I've been interested in this rifle since it first came out but finances didn't allow such a purchase. The finances are now in a much better place so the RDB is on the radar again.

Thoughts? Experiences? Availability?

I did not like the way the top rail was mounted.

The front uses a machine screw through an round hole in the rail and into a block on the barrel and the rear uses a machine screw through a front to back oval with a spring washer providing tension and the machine screw is fastened into the barrel above the chamber. The reason for the oval and the spring is because the barrel and the rail heat up at different rates and the two need to elongate independently.
    It was not possible to shoot more that 20 rounds before the point of impact began to rise, after about 50 rounds it was about 8" high of center at 100 yards.

It might be fine for a few rounds but I expect a firearm to function properly under stress, which it did not.
    I sold it.

RDB made the hit list did it not? Not sure on the RFB. There is a survival version of the RDB, kind of a red headed stepchild in terms of looks.
    "It is an absolute truism that law-abiding, armed citizens pose no threat to other law-abiding citizens."

Ammo, camo and things that go "blammo".

RDB is fine - not on a list....
    I have 2. Both have shot completely flawless.
    No loose hardware. No jams.
    Insert mag. Close bolt. Pull trigger, Bang and you have a nice little pile of brass at your feet.

Point of impact raising? Never experienced that - but I have not exceeded 50 meters. Point and put a hole in the paper - relatively close to the center.
    Is this a combat weapon - probably not. A hoot to shoot and enjoy a different style of firearm. Hands down yes.
    Stays clean. No carbon fouling everywhere. Easy to pop open - a quick wipe and a few drops of oil. Done. (I guess a brush down the barrel as well)

Only thing I don't like is not being able to verify an empty chamber - you will tilt it to the left (you will) to check the ejection port on the last round because your AR brain tells you too. I do it all the time.

And yes - get one now. If you get wind of a new list.... easy to sell to anyone...anywhere.......Bob or Joe or something like that.
    Last edited by Sabio; 10-24-2020 at 05:36 PM.
    Previously- Rivetc78 from CGN

5. The Following User Liked This Post By Sabio

Suputin (10-25-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Sabio View Post
    RDB is fine - not on a list....
    I have 2. Both have shot completely flawless.
    No loose hardware. No jams.
    Insert mag. Close bolt. Pull trigger, Bang and you have a nice little pile of brass at your feet.

Point of impact raising? Never experienced that - but I have not exceeded 50 meters. Point and put a hole in the paper - relatively close to the center.
    Is this a combat weapon - probably not. A hoot to shoot and enjoy a different style of firearm. Hands down yes.
    Stays clean. No carbon fouling everywhere. Easy to pop open - a quick wipe and a few drops of oil. Done. (I guess a brush down the barrel as well)

Only thing I don't like is not being able to verify an empty chamber - you will tilt it to the left (you will) to check the ejection port on the last round because your AR brain tells you too. I do it all the time.

And yes - get one now. If you get wind of a new list.... easy to sell to anyone...anywhere.......Bob or Joe or something like that.
    Well, in that case....buy, buy, buy!
    "It is an absolute truism that law-abiding, armed citizens pose no threat to other law-abiding citizens."

Ammo, camo and things that go "blammo".

Anyone have any long term / high round count experience with the RDB?

Considering getting one but just wondering about long term reliability/durability before I commit.

Thanks in advance.